Quantcast

Shuttle access DH at Uwharrie

Interested in shuttle trail(s) at Uwharrie?

• Yes

Votes: 49 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Myself and a few others are meeting with Sorba Uwharrie members on Nov. 21 about the possible construction of shuttle-able, DH specific trail(s) at Uwharrie as part of their ride center.

I'm throwing up poll to gauge interest so I have something to show the Uwharrie guys. They were pretty stoked on the idea, but no harm in creating a little buzz. The more people behind it, the better chance it will happen.

hotrodmarlin

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
Yes. I asked about dh trails when they were building the cc trails and there wasn't that much interest. If you need help with anything let me know. I can rally what few troops I know to dig or show up to a meeting or whatever. I copied a link to the poll on biketriad to get a few more votes.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
We raced a 6 minute long DH on one of the ORV trails there several years back. it was more of a super D, but still pretty cool. It had a murderously long climb of about 30 seconds in the middle, but that place was pretty fun.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
We raced a 6 minute long DH on one of the ORV trails there several years back. it was more of a super D, but still pretty cool. It had a murderously long climb of about 30 seconds in the middle, but that place was pretty fun.
just curious, how long does it take you to get there from Asheville?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Uwharrie definitely has the terrain for it.

Back in the early 90's, long before there were official mountain bike trails, a few of us from the triad region used to train on the ATV trails there for XC racing. It is the closest mountain type riding to Winston and Greensboro. Old trails like Slab Pile, Dicky Bell and a hill nick named Big Red proved very challenging.

The DH race there several years ago was fun, but it was mostly on wide forrest service roads. A DH specific trail that took advantage of the topography of the place would be an outstanding addition to the NC DH scene.

Al-F

Chimp
Dec 15, 2007
Hope Mills, NC
Yeah Sonds great! I just retired from Active Duty and moved back to Fayetteville. Everything is gnerally flat here but I'd love to see a DH course in the Uhwharrie!

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
What area of uwharrie are u guys lookin at to build in? The wood run area is awesome XC, and the Badin Lake recreation area horse trails are staight raw for an XC ride. I was out at the Badin Lake ORV trails early last spring before they were open to motorized vehicles and I had a blast. There is a rock section o the Daniel trail that rivals anything I've ridden in the high country! I think that there's plenty of potential out there for a well planned DH run. Shoot I'd grab a pick and shovel any time to help make some Uwharrie DH happen.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Area is yet to be determined. Honestly I've only ridding out there a few times and we'll need as much input from locals as possible. There may be a possibility of us cutting on Morrow Mtn. as well but that is still up in the air.

If anyone is familiar with the area and would like to come out and offer input on the 21st, shoot me a pm.

Feb 13, 2005
NC
My son and I would be interested for sure. And I'm pretty sure there are many others from the triangle area that would be as well.

I just hope it happens before I die. I'm only shooting for 50 and that's just a few years away. I'd offer to help but I have projects going on at our local trails already. Good luck!!

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
thought i posted here. sorry.

anyway. our focus was on walker mtn. there is a service road that goes probably 2/3 to the top. when asked what the chances of getting it cut to the top the response from our uwharrie "guide" was "this is redneck country. everyone have a bulldozer or a tractor". my guess is, if that iswhere we're going to build, road won't be a problem. good amount of rock with some really technical lines could be built. RobP was working the gps and could probably share the gps data here. I believe elevation was right around 700ft.

there is also another "mountain" there that has a fire tower on it area. if you want to check it out on google earth, gps coordinates are N 35° 24.401 W 079° 59.925. dump that in and it should take you to the area. it's called buck mtn. depending on the terrain, this might be our best bet considering the road to the top is probably very serviceable. and our contact seemed pretty sure he can get us on that. I'm working on a time to get up there to check that out.

Really, this is a ton of untapped potential. not only, from what we saw, there be decent dh possibilities, but freeride/all mountain stuff will little to no use of man-made features. there is a lot of rock.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Time to start thinking up random trail names for the new DH runs....
BUTCH
BIZUTCH
THE BUTCH TRAIL
BUTCH's TRAIL
BUTCH DOWNS
BUTCHER
BUTCHER's BLOCK
BUTCH's REVENGE
BUTCH's GULCH
BUTCHAROO
BUTCHAROONEY
OH MY BUTCH
BOOOCH
BUTCH LINX
NO CAN BUTCH
DROP A BUTCH
HASSLEBUTCH
HALF BUTCH
IT's BUTCHIN
TOTALLY BUTCHIN

Bud

Chimp
Dec 2, 2009
I'm not a downhiller, but I live 40 minutes from Uwharrie in Asheboro. I'd be glad to help trail build and maybe become a DH rider kinda guy :)

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
hey bud, there are going to be a lot of opportunities out there other than dh too. if you want more info on the master plan, contact Brian over at Middle Ring Cycles.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Vin, I'm stoked that you've taken the initiative to advocate some DH trail in in Uwharries. I'm pretty busy myself trying to get some good things underway at The Dirty Bird, but I'll get in contact with Brian at Middle Ring to let him know that I'm really supportive of trying to help get this off the ground. That area has some really cool natural features that would be perfect for a rocky challenging downhill and epic all mtn. freeride trails.

Make sure to keep us updated on Stuntersville! That place is just beggin for a big group BBQ and freeride day!

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Thanks Wil. I'll keep you in the loop. I'm heading to new england for the next 3 weeks and still recovering from ruptured biceps tendon. when i get back i'll get working on stuff again. hopefully huntersville construction will start then

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I just did some messing around with Google earth... So the good news is if we were able to get access to the top of Buck MTn which is right off the road the Elevation is right around 820' then if you follow the road, or were to build a trail from some where near the top to back down where Buck Mtn drive intersects with River Road we would be descending about 400' which is about what the Paris Mtn DH course is.

Please excuse my MSPain Skills, but as an example either would drop between 350 - 400' over a mile or more depending

Bud

Chimp
Dec 2, 2009
If that's where you're going to build it, then it'll be about 25 minutes from my house. Not bad.... :)

Bud

Chimp
Dec 2, 2009
Stephen Mullins with IMBA/SORBA will be at Uwharrie/Woodrun for a few weeks working on trails. He arrives this Sunday evening and will start work on XC reroutes for Keyauwee and Supertree Monday morning the 18th. I know XC is not DH, but if any of you want to meet up with him and voice your support for DH, he'll be around.

More information is on www.biketriad.com

http://www.biketriad.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=39&func=view&catid=2&id=10470#10668

I have his celll # if anyone wants it.

Here's his non-IMBA email address.

starson (at) bellsouth.net

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
hey Bud, Stephen and I exchanged some emails over the last couple weeks. Not sure if I'll be able to get out there. Getting ready for daughter #2. If I can get most of our stuff done this week I might try to get out there next weekend.

Al-F

Chimp
Dec 15, 2007
Hope Mills, NC
I just thought I'd dig up an old thread.

So I imagine Daughter #2 is keeping you busy. I have experienced some real world along the way too.

Is this project still happening?

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
so whats the deal, are they building trails?
If new trail is getting built in the uwharrie area it's most likely getting done by SORBA Uwharrie www.sorbauwharrie.org. Check them out and volunteer if you want to help them build new trails

I actually just looked at their website and it looks like they've got 1 mile of new mtb specific trail open (in addition to the other two loops that have already been there) in the wood run trail area

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Right now it appears their focus is on the xc portion of the ride center. I do find it odd that after a couple scouting trips up there and really trying to get people excited about the dh possibilties, they stopped returning my emails/voicemails. I guess when they asked for help they really didn't need it.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Well, from what I've heard there is a lack of interest in the area not only from the one's that would be using the trails, but also from those that would be building it. Also what I've heard is that IMBA/SORBA would still like to build a ride center somewhere in NC. I'm still a little bent considering the time some of us spent only to have our emails/call stop being returned.