Quantcast

Shuttle Reentry at 3:43 AM

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
True True. Bring back the glory days of Apollo, and send us to Mars.

Although NASA's budget for 2005: 16.04 billion dollars

Small potatoes compared to the war in Iraq.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Changleen said:
I hope the "NASA = pointless" comments are in jest.

BTW Re-entry has been delayed by 24 hrs.

Sure, they have given us such wonderful things as tang, velcro, and satilites, But it seems that they waste tons of money.

Guns dont kill people, NASA kills people. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
chicodude01 said:
You should be a astronaut.

Edit: I take that back. You think beer is gross. That is good.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
chicodude01 said:
Sure, they have given us such wonderful things as tang, velcro, and satilites, But it seems that they waste tons of money.

Not to send this to the political forum, but in terms of wasted money, NASA is a small drop in a huge bucket. I guess it would be cool to go back to the days when there were no cell phones, no GPS, and nobody trying to find a possible way off this rock since we're destroying it a lot faster than you think.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Echo said:
Not to send this to the political forum, but in terms of wasted money, NASA is a small drop in a huge bucket. I guess it would be cool to go back to the days when there were no cell phones, no GPS, and nobody trying to find a possible way off this rock since we're destroying it a lot faster than you think.
HA, if we sunk as much money into NASA as we do inventing new ways of blowing each other up, we'd have landed men on Pluto by now.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I wish the best of luck to the astronauts.

I am extremely disappointed that they are not going to repair the Hubble telescope. That telescope has taught us so much about space and has helped us see so much as to the structure of the universe, and spending a few million dollars to repair it is not considered a worthy investment. Such a shame.

chicodude01 said:

Listen, <expletive deleted>, I designed fuel measurement systems on that bird. These are real people we're talking about. Shuttle failures are not a video game or a comedy show. Reserve your wise cracks to situations where people don't have their lives on the line. :mumble:

J

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
johnbryanpeters said:
Listen, <expletive deleted>, I designed fuel measurement systems on that bird. These are real people we're talking about. Shuttle failures are not a video game or a comedy show. Reserve your wise cracks to situations where people don't have their lives on the line. :mumble:

J
Did you actually delete the expletive or were you just lazy and type <expletive deleted> ?

I have a customer who machines the impellers for the engines. They handle something like 70,000 Hp at 30,000 rpm. Takes 30 days to machine the things. Freakin' impressive.

Westy said:
Did you actually delete the expletive or were you just lazy and type <expletive deleted> ?

I have a customer who machines the impellers for the engines. They handle something like 70,000 Hp at 30,000 rpm. Takes 30 days to machine the things. Freakin' impressive.
The latter. I was ready to wring someone's neck. When the first shuttle exploded, I think everyone who ever worked on it was thinking "Was that caused by something I did?"

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
johnbryanpeters said:
The latter. I was ready to wring someone's neck. When the first shuttle exploded, I think everyone who ever worked on it was thinking "Was that caused by something I did?"
How did all the NASA techs handle that? Was it really a time that everyone kind of wondered what the future of NASA would be, or was it certain that you'd be back up and running soon?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Westy said:
The turbo pumps for the main engines are impressive, they can empty an olympic sized swimming pool in like seconds...........

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Andyman_1970 said:
The turbo pumps for the main engines are impressive, they can empty an olympic sized swimming pool in like seconds...........
The turbo impeller I got to look at was surprizingly small. About the diameter of a large dinner plate. Machined from solid titanium. The impeller blades were encased on both sides unlike turbos most people are used to seeing.

robdamanii said:
How did all the NASA techs handle that? Was it really a time that everyone kind of wondered what the future of NASA would be, or was it certain that you'd be back up and running soon?
I can't answer that.

I didn't work for NASA, I worked for a subcontractor to Macdonald Douglas. At the time of the Challenger explosion, I had moved on to another field of work.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Ok Tomorrow at 5:07 AM EDT they're gonna try again, and it's gonna land tomorrow somewhere no matter what.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050809/ap_on_sc/space_shuttle

More cloudy weather was expected at Kennedy Space Center on Tuesday with a chance of rain, but it remained NASA's first choice for an early morning touchdown. Edwards Air Force Base in California's Mojave Desert was the next choice, followed by the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico, the absolute last resort.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
johnbryanpeters said:
I can't answer that.

I didn't work for NASA, I worked for a subcontractor to Macdonald Douglas. At the time of the Challenger explosion, I had moved on to another field of work.
damn you must be O L D.... :P

i was a junior in high school down in florida on my lunch break and actually saw it go boom. i think you could've heard a pin drop on the campus for a few seconds.

and you're right it isnt a game, that tools comments were in exceptionally poor taste. at least wait until they are feet dry you jacka$$

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
You little fokers think you would have yur text messaging without NASA? Ya think we would have any Sats up there at all if the technology had to have been worked out by the private sector in the 50's and 60's? Read more for gods sakes.....

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Transcend said:
shuttle is home.
The sonic BOOM almost shook me out of bed this morning. Once I heard it, I turned on the TV and watched it land...

I had considered driving the two hours to Edward's Airforce Base, but they weren't too sure where it was going to land. Once I heard the sonic boom, I was kind of bummed that I didn't head out there to watch it land...