Quantcast

sick of ie - I'm downloading firefox or opera!

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Can ANYONE tell me how to get Firefox to recognize the little scroll button I have on my laptop? I have a Gateway laptop and instead of a scroll wheel on the mouse I have a little up/down scroll button.

In Firefox this button does nothing and I have to manual go to the right of the page and click on the down arrows in the browser. This is THE main reason I'm not using Firefox.

I've downloaded the latest drivers for my touchpad and that's done nothing. Any ideas?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
RandomV said:
Buy a Mac and use Safari! :D
Now, that's what I call somebody with a good idea. I exclusively use Safari and Firefox for my browsing needs. Firefox is good, stable and FAST. Plus check out that boing boing blog, pretty funny; it's in the Firefox favorites.

peace

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Honeywell said:
Can ANYONE tell me how to get Firefox to recognize the little scroll button I have on my laptop? I have a Gateway laptop and instead of a scroll wheel on the mouse I have a little up/down scroll button.
Check the Firefox webpage... I was browsing through there one day and remember reading an issue with scrolling buttons, and they gave a solution for it. I don't know if it will fix your particular problem, and can't remember the particular part of the website I was visiting, so hopefully my vague indication that I may or may not have read something that may or may not help you will be of some use ;)

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Transcend said:
wow, so you drop to flat and promote an OS without any supporting evidence.
HAHAHA, dude, I AM REALLY DROPPING TO FLAT, everytime I have the chance; the sheer sensation of your balls hitting your throath, priceless... Anyhell, it's true that I didn't include any constructive arguments about why not to use IE. Well I think the main reason resides in the fact that IE comes as the main browser in any computer and the decision of choosing a browser should be left to the user. I mean, that's how Microsoft operates, leaves no choice the the user and creates a false need for their products. A bit like a strong drug, you become addict without really knowing it... Your choice dude, follow the mass or create your own path. I know wich way I am going!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ZoRo said:
Well I think the main reason resides in the fact that IE comes as the main browser in any computer and the decision of choosing a browser should be left to the user. I mean, that's how Microsoft operates, leaves no choice the the user and creates a false need for their products. A bit like a strong drug, you become addict without really knowing it... Your choice dude, follow the mass or create your own path. I know wich way I am going!
That's pretty stupid.

Use what works best. The choice to use an inferior browser simply because you want to be different is even dumber than never testing other products. At least those people have the excuse of ignorance.

You're choosing to use an inferior product, even though you know there are better options available.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
That's pretty stupid.

Use what works best. The choice to use an inferior browser simply because you want to be different is even dumber than never testing other products. At least those people have the excuse of ignorance.

You're choosing to use an inferior product, even though you know there are better options available.
Dude. He uses a Mac......... :rolleyes:

Quit with the rational argument stuff. :D

-S.S.-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
so, can anyone tell me about the google toolbar/new page or tab thingie? if firefox can't do that, it's a pity.
If I remember, I'll check when I get home. I don't use the little search bar.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
really? i use it all the time.

edit - the google toolbar "autofill" feature is also a neat one. does firefox support this?
That's a browser supported item (autofilling of form fields), has nothing to do with Google. Yes, Firefox supports it.

edit: If you're talking about the add-on Google toolbar, I know nothing about it. However, both Firefox and IE support autofilling of form fields so indirectly, it supports it...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
That's a browser supported item (autofilling of form fields), has nothing to do with Google. Yes, Firefox supports it.

edit: If you're talking about the add-on Google toolbar, I know nothing about it. However, both Firefox and IE support autofilling of form fields so indirectly, it supports it...
no, it's a feature of google toolbar (which really is a great little tool adn i'm surprised you don't use it - you can do google image and news search directly too, w/ the push of a button). it's also got stuff like the pop-up blocker, google search word highlight, etc. definitely worthwhile. the firefox one just looks like it's a single search box. not that useful, in comparison.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
no, it's a feature of google toolbar (which really is a great little tool adn i'm surprised you don't use it - you can do google image and news search directly too, w/ the push of a button). it's also got stuff like the pop-up blocker, google search word highlight, etc. definitely worthwhile. the firefox one just looks like it's a single search box. not that useful, in comparison.
I don't like a cluttered interface, and since I've got an extremely high speed connection, I CAN do all my Google searches with the push of a button: my bookmark button for google.com :D

Popup blocking... I'm sorry, what are these things you call "popups"? Firefox doesn't seem to allow me to get them.. natively, I might add, no special utility required ;)

Incidentally, I really like the Firefox in-page search bar. It dynamically searches the page as you type, so if I want to find the word "narlus", I don't have to guess as to how much I have to type to locate a unique search result: as I'm typing, it'll find the first "n", then "na", then "nar" etc.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well i assume that firefox also allows specific sites to allow popups (like PM notices on RM), right? xp's got a pop-up blocker too but i do the belt-n-suspenders approach w/ google's blocker.

as far as a cluttered interface goes, i could send you a screen shot of what i am talking about. the additional google toolbar features don't occupy much space at all. which leads me to another complaint about the firefox browser- it takes up too many rows at the top of the. i'm sure there is a way to move and/or shrink the components of the browser toolbar section, but i haven't found them yet.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
<snip>which leads me to another complaint about the firefox browser- it takes up too many rows at the top of the. i'm sure there is a way to move and/or shrink the components of the browser toolbar section, but i haven't found them yet.
Mozilla has a View->Show/Hide menu. Dunno about Firefox. Probably the same, though.

-S.S.-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
well i assume that firefox also allows specific sites to allow popups (like PM notices on RM), right? xp's got a pop-up blocker too but i do the belt-n-suspenders approach w/ google's blocker.

as far as a cluttered interface goes, i could send you a screen shot of what i am talking about. the additional google toolbar features don't occupy much space at all. which leads me to another complaint about the firefox browser- it takes up too many rows at the top of the. i'm sure there is a way to move and/or shrink the components of the browser toolbar section, but i haven't found them yet.
Yes, you can allow certain sites to give you popups.

I know how much space Google's bar takes up... It's too much :D

Firefox does allow you to shrink the icons, or hide toolbars, all you want.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
binary visions said:
That's pretty stupid.

Now that's when YOU are wrong. Leading the way in innovation for the PC world is a company named after a fruit. Let me guess, maybe it's Orange Computer, or maybe Banana Sofware perhaps??? The thing is that when you conform to the crowd be believing what THEY think is the best, you are blindfolded by the Microsoft mask; when you decide to use a browser that is different and that works better, promoting innovation with the users feedbacks, not the number of people using it, you are way ahead of your time. One day you will come to realise that you were all wrong. Till then...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
a) google's toolbar doesn't take up that much space. you can put it in the same row as your normal nav buttons. voila.

b) a quick way to get a google search in a new window would be apple-T (ctrl-T, i believe, for the unwashed masses) then tab to move the cursor to the google search box

c) safari actually has decent rendering. it's konquerer, after all, and page rendering is via khtml.

d) fellow mac users: i recommend using camino instead of any of the above. it's fast!

e) you shouldn't uninstall ie on windows boxes. it's needed for windows update.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ZoRo said:
Now that's when YOU are wrong. Leading the way in innovation for the PC world is a company named after a fruit. Let me guess, maybe it's Orange Computer, or maybe Banana Sofware perhaps??? The thing is that when you conform to the crowd be believing what THEY think is the best, you are blindfolded by the Microsoft mask; when you decide to use a browser that is different and that works better, promoting innovation with the users feedbacks, not the number of people using it, you are way ahead of your time. One day you will come to realise that you were all wrong. Till then...
Oh Jesus.. Melodrama, much?

Did you major in theater?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
binary visions said:
Oh Jesus.. Melodrama, much?

Did you major in theater?
Nope, just got carried away in the ever lasting Mac vs PC war, sorry dude, no bad intentions here...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
one thing which i just saw on Firefox which is very cool is that you can add in other "search" engines into the Google window, like IMBD.com, Allmusic.com, cddb.com, ebay.com and others.

that is very cool!