Quantcast

Side for pegs?

Pat

Chimp
Mar 2, 2002
I'm making the big switch from mtb to bmx, but my dilema is that I dont know what side I grind on. Before I started grinding on my mtb, I would of grinded (is that even a word?) on my left side, but when I learned pedal grinds I learned them on my right side because that foot is the foot thats in the back when I ride. So now I dont really know what side I grind on, is there any better way? Should I be grinding on the side with the back or forward foot? (I ride left foot forward) Or does it have anything to do with the way you do spins? (I spin to the right). Thanks in advance for any help. O yea, I'd prefer to not have pegs on both sides if possible.
Pat

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
it does not matter what side you put your pegs.

I run 4 pegs and grind both sides. there will be limitations on both sides. it's whatever you choose to do.

slap em on and give it a go. if if feels funny, switch sides.....

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Many people think it's better to grind on the non-drive side so that the chain, chainrings, etc. are not in the way. If you want to go this route, but want to grind on the right side, you can always look at LSD. ;)

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
The people that I know (myself included) figure out which side to put pegs on by seeing which way we spin.

I spin counter clockwise so it's easiest for me to come up at an obstacleat an angle with the obstacle on my right. Then I can hop and spin a little to line up straight with it and hop off of it and spin a little to clear it and ride away. My friends that spin clockwise run grind easiest on the left side.

I'd say figure out which way you spin easier and decide off of that. I've also noticed that generally people spin away from their front foot and grind on that side.
Here's a poll I just made about this.

And yes I do run LSD, it's the only way to fly.

Moogie

Monkey
Nov 27, 2001
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
well it would make sense to put them on the left side because you wont have to deal with derailleur/cassete/chainrings, but also theres the disk brake if you have that on the left. whichever way you can hop up to.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
Originally posted by Moogie
well it would make sense to put them on the left side because you wont have to deal with derailleur/cassete/chainrings, but also theres the disk brake if you have that on the left. whichever way you can hop up to.
i like pants too.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I would say that if you spin to the right, put them on the left side. That will make it easier to do grinds on quarter pipes and such. I think that is a good place to start, once you get those down you open a whole new world of tricks to try.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i have to agree with what pnj said earlier
put them on both sides and then you will have more options
and if you want to take one side off you will know which side
but hey its your bike don't listen to us as much as what you think

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Well. Here's what I did...

I put them on the opposite side only at first. That way, I forced myself to learn to grind on my unnatural side. Then for a while I only ran them on my "natural" side.

Right now? I don't run any pegs at all. I'd rather work on jumping and airing out than little tech nibbler tricks. That's just me, though.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
general rule of thumb....

if you bunny-hop and generally feel most comfortable riding with your right foot back, put your pegs on the left, if you bunny-hop left foot back, put your pegs on the right. this just makes locking in on feebles a little easier. and is just general practice from my experience. if you watch any vids, etc. most people with pegs on the left bunnyhop with their right foot back, etc. the main excepetion to this is markus wilke, he rides right foot forward and pegs on the left.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I've noticed this to be true almost 95% of the time. People run pegs on the opposite side of their back foot. My back foot is my left there by making it easier to rotate counter clockwise because I use my left to kick the rear to the right. You pick up a magazine and just look at a pro's setup...chances are their pegs will be opposite of their back foot.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Dog Welder
You pick up a magazine and just look at a pro's setup...chances are their pegs will be opposite of their back foot.
Actually there are tons of people (pros included) who ride goofy foot, myself included. I don't think what pro's do has anything to do with what's natural/comfortable for anyone else. Just do what works.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
So I'm goofy footed (right foreward.) But yet when I ride at a quarter pipe my instinct it to turn/spin to the right. I've never owned a BMX but hope to and was wondering whether I should try and learn to spin the other way and run pegs on the right or be strange and run them on the left despite being goofy.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by dromond
So I'm goofy footed (right foreward.) But yet when I ride at a quarter pipe my instinct it to turn/spin to the right. I've never owned a BMX but hope to and was wondering whether I should try and learn to spin the other way and run pegs on the right or be strange and run them on the left despite being goofy.
do what YOU want. ride how YOU want.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Originally posted by pnj
do what YOU want. ride how YOU want.
Yeah totally. What he said. People are just telling you which side they/most people have their pegs on as a starting point. The reason we run our pegs that way is because it feels right.

I think you should just start with four pegs and see what you like, or just put the pegs on the side you spin away from easiest.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
When I first started riding BMX, people told me that since I ride left foot forward, I should learn to turn to the left and run my pegs on the left.

So even though it felt all wierd, I spent a bunch of time trying to learn how to turn to the left.

Then when I couldn't get that, I spent a bunch of time trying to learn to ride with my right foot forward.

Then when I couldn't get that, I decided that doing it "wrong" was working just fine :D

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I agree, 4 pegs is a good place to start. However, if you spin to the right, I would work more on grinding on your left side. Once you get to the point you want to try peg stalls on a quarter pipe or something, if you've really been grinding mainly on your left side you'll already know where your pegs are. I used to grind on the left side, but once I realized that if I was spinning to the left I couldn't get my pegs on the ramp, I had to re-learn grinds on the right. So if I were you, just throw them on the left side and forget about the right for now. Once you get grinding down a bit, then throw them on your right side and try learning other side peg tricks.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
It's made a bit more complex than the whole RHD/LHD thing. But I suppose I should just count my blessing on put my pegs on the left, most parks seems to work better that way anyways (i.e. everything runs clockwise). And I won't need LHD... We'll see. And pegs stalls on a quarter is what I most want to learn anyways :D

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
when your first starting out no matter which side you grind on it will feel weird. its common practice to put them on the same side as which ever foot is forward. yes you can put them on the opposite but it usually will take you alot longer to learn(my self included) start out trying to do feebles(front tire on ledge rear peg on) its the easiest way to start from my experiance and it will teach you how to get off of grinds more smothly which is usually the hardest part. im sure all this has been said. the main thing is to have fun. all of the is just my .02

Put the pegs on the oppiset side you rotate. If you spin to the right place them on the left. and so on an so forth. also its good to have your drive side on the side you grind, the sproket will help prvent damage to your chain stay. (a chain is easy to fix and a sproket doesent cost too much, compared to having to get a new frame or fixing it):devil: :cool:

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Originally posted by Meat-Whistle
Put the pegs on the oppiset side you rotate. If you spin to the right place them on the left. and so on an so forth. also its good to have your drive side on the side you grind, the sproket will help prvent damage to your chain stay. (a chain is easy to fix and a sproket doesent cost too much, compared to having to get a new frame or fixing it):devil: :cool:
I disagree. I have it the other way (LSD) because a chain every ride or two gets expensive.:dead: I can still ride a dented frame.;)