Quantcast

Silk-screening logos on Jerseys

Apr 4, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
I have a bunch of Royal cycling jerseys that I would like to silk-screen my name, logo and all my sponsors logo’s on. Last year I used my inkjet printer and iron on paper but this was difficult to get the transfer right and bled the ink on the jerseys. Does anyone know of a good source for someone that will do this kind of jersey modification for a reasonable price?

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
What's reasonable? You're gonna pay a lot for just the screens to be made, so you're better off if you have a bulk order.
Go to your local high school and talk to the graphic design teacher. More than likely you can work something out with a visitor pass and use the equipment after hours. That's what I did for years. If you're gonna pay someone, expect a large one time fee for the screens, plus a few bucks per shirt.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
What's reasonable? You're gonna pay a lot for just the screens to be made, so you're better off if you have a bulk order.
Wrong.

Go to your local high school and talk to the graphic design teacher. More than likely you can work something out with a visitor pass and use the equipment after hours. That's what I did for years. If you're gonna pay someone, expect a large one time fee for the screens, plus a few bucks per shirt.
:think:

Talk to H8R:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3146761&postcount=1

Apr 4, 2008
Santa Cruz, CA
Actually I should clarify that I don’t necessarily need to silk-screen but do some sort of transfer. I have seen people with these types of transfers on their jerseys before that where done in small qty’s. I can’t imagine that they paid the exorbitant prices just to get a few done so my reasoning is that there must be something out there that is a better way to get this done.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
you're better off if you have a bulk order.
24 piece minimum. No setup fees.
Maybe bulk was the wrong word... I didn't mean hundreds, but more than just a few. If you go with just 10 shirts, you're going to get charged for screen set up fees... that's my point.
:brow:
That's my experience, I've been dealing with printing for years on a small level; bands, merch, riding jerseys, etc... I've also always had access to printing equipment via the closest high school to me. Printing is not hard, why pay someone else to do it? Now I have my own press, and can print out of my garage.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Best thing for polyester jerseys is dye sublimation.

Go to a local screen printer who does dye sublimation as well, or direct to garment digital printing. They shouldn't have minimums for those processes.

Screen printing is best for larger runs on cottons and blends. The setup is more involved but it kicks the sh1t out of digital for speed and volume.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
There are dye-sub heat transfers. In your area, there is bound to be a vendor that can print your logos, etc. on DS heat transfer substrate. Then it's just a matter of taking them to any shirt shop with a heat transfer press.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
There are dye-sub heat transfers. In your area, there is bound to be a vendor that can print your logos, etc. on DS heat transfer substrate. Then it's just a matter of taking them to any shirt shop with a heat transfer press.
Check the mall even. Look for "Shurt Hut" or something.

nuclear 674

Monkey
Aug 12, 2005
ahead of you!!!
www.fusiongraphixx.com Try these guys out if you cant find a option. They use a heat transfer system that works pretty good. You can send them your jerseys and art work and they will send you back a finished product. I think they run about 45.00 a jersey which isn't real cheap.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
That was why I said dye sub heat transfer. That is nothing like your normal T-shirt transfer.
If anybody on RM knows the difference, it's me.

The little booth at the mall near me does both.

And regular heat transfer or direct to garment digital is what you want on a ROYAL jersey. Dye sub is for light or white garments.

:D

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
If anybody on RM knows the difference, it's me.

The little booth at the mall near me does both.

And regular heat transfer or direct to garment digital is what you want on a ROYAL jersey. Dye sub is for light or white garments.

:D
You must be in a good-size metropolitan market ;)

I could only find one specialty digital imager in lil ol' Spokane that could do it when I was looking around last year. None of my regular vendors had the capability - - and guys who you'd think should.

Yeah, I know it's for light/white background; but a lot of the Royal jerseys that have enough blank field to work with are such.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
There are two ways to go, SIlk screening<which we just had done for the team> or heat transfer.

Silk screening is quick.....once the pattern is made up that is. It cost us 60 bucks for 14 jerseys, thats setup fee, and eacj jersey. Thats about normal anywhere you go with les than 50 shirts. If you want silkscreening, go to different Tshirt shops, and see what they charge. Its usually a bit moer when you take your own in.

Heat transfers are quicker, cheaper, and if done right, last just as long. There are multiple ways of doing heat transfers, you can do the Paper/printer at home, but that methos Sucks. Division26, has a plotter that custs the transfers out of a large roll, just like when making stickers/decals, then they line it up, Press it with a large heat press and just do it right in one big shot, right time, right heat.

Alot of sticker shop should be able to cut out your transfers as well, just need to ask them if they have the plotter to do so.

Little advice when doing a heat press/Iron at home........Dont forget to flip it, and heast it from the back side as well. thats a step I see alot of people<including myself in teh past> make, and wonder why there iron ons didnt last.