Quantcast

SilverRoxx 2009

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I heard the 3rd and 4th as well from some Eastside riders at the last FR cup. Gonna hit it up for sure, this will be my 4th yr in a row. Always is a blast . They also said that all the jumps on the new section after you get into the woods had set up over the winter and were running better than last yr..... no more dusty lips.
Hopefully they have great prizes and a good payout like in the yrs past....Should be fun looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
Oct 3rd, 10-noon: Jam Session (best time of 3 runs max per person)

Oct 3rd, 2:00 PM: Super D

Oct 4th, 10:00 AM: Enduro DH

Subject to change but that is the info I received when I inquired.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Please correct me if I'm wrong but this event doesn't look to be USA Cycling sanctioned.?
They don't mention it, ask for your current license number on the form or mention about selling one-days. BUT, it was sanctioned last year (although I think it was under East's license), so I would not count it out. There are always two things you can count on from Silver: spotty information and lack of organization.

You will note too that the form says you should attach a signed copy of the waiver to your registration, yet they provide no link. If you print out and sign page two of last year's waiver PDF, it should work, though:

http://www.silvermt.com/PDF/SRS08LiabilityRelease.pdf

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
I think it is just the term they use for their top-to-bottom downhill. It's longer than your typical dh run. Depending on the route it takes me around 17 minutes non-stop if I remember correctly, so it's a little longer than your typical dh race and takes a little more stamina.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^ That's exactly it. Similar to Crankworx' Garbanzo Endurance DH only not quite as long or nearly as technical. 15+-minute run of singletrack DH sections punctuated by a couple of access-road sections. Single-run format. A good workout for sure.

I STILL wish they'd bring back the 8-Hour top-to-bottom event.

andres611

Chimp
Jun 28, 2007
So if i race the beginners category (not sure if they have a different course) will a 6" bike do?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Yes, absolutely. IMO, a 6" travel bike does better there than a full on dh rig. Just my opinion.
Its a little blowed up there this year thanks to them laying off the trail crew, who were it seems the only ones who gave a sh!t about the trails, but a 6" bike will do fine.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I dont understand why they stopped putting money into the bike park just when it was starting to get good. If they would have had the fluidride cup there they would have had like 500 people show up. Thats a lot of money for a little town like kellogg.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Because they banked the farm on building the water park - - which didn't get them the bookings for the condos they'd hoped for I think. Plus, they tried to launch the next phase (houses/golf course) right as the economy tanked. With the parent company (Jeld-Wen) depending mightily nationwide on housing starts, I think they're hurting bad all over. Bike park is just a pissant speck in their overall operations and one that I don't think the corporate brass has a vision for at all.

Schweitzer, on the other hand, has new ownership/management that understands bikes, has great terrain and is starting to ramp things back up. If we support them and prop 'em some, they might continue to expand and get some good things going. They have the potential to be a Nationals venue again.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Because they banked the farm on building the water park - - which didn't get them the bookings for the condos they'd hoped for I think. Plus, they tried to launch the next phase (houses/golf course) right as the economy tanked. With the parent company (Jeld-Wen) depending mightily nationwide on housing starts, I think they're hurting bad all over. Bike park is just a pissant speck in their overall operations and one that I don't think the corporate brass has a vision for at all.

Schweitzer, on the other hand, has new ownership/management that understands bikes, has great terrain and is starting to ramp things back up. If we support them and prop 'em some, they might continue to expand and get some good things going. They have the potential to be a Nationals venue again.
That makes sence, but I still think it was dumb to cancel what little budget they had on the bike park when they could have had 400 people fill up all the hotels in town for a weekend (fluidride cup). I am sure they didnt spend much on the bike park as they already staff up the gondola for other summer activites anyway.

Schweitzer would be cool though.....

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Just got the word on Sunday that SilverRoxx will NOT be sanctioned by USA Cycling. Prizes suck this year to, grand prize a season pass. Woopdy FIN doo. Way to go Silver! At least the entrance fees will be raffled off to the respective categories, but I honestly think thats kinda dumb too, why not have a cash prize for first place in each category? At least then the people that win their classes won't feel like they got snubbed.

Minor- I agree we should get behind Schweitzer for next year, that place has loads of potential and seems like they actually care. Not to mention they put on a kick-ass NORBA race for years. The plan was to get up there loads this year but it seems biking has fallen to the wayside for most of the people I usually ride...err rode with.

Last edited:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
^^ I hear you. I only got to Schweitzer once. A shame too - - lift tickets are $15 less and the ride to the top is quicker so you get a lot of runs in. Now they just need more good trails.

BTW, Eric (from Butler) and I poached what was left of the old NORBA pro/expert course a couple of runs and went down Altar Boy and the Bowling Alley. They are even more gnarly-fun than back during the Nationals. Years of snow-melt scoured out the dirt and has left a even-more-massive jumble of rocks. Good fun.

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
^^ When I "rode" that section (and I use the term "rode" loosely...) back about 5 years ago the rocks reminded me of a field of sharks teeth sticking up out of the ground. I can only imagine what it looks like now.

That is good to hear about Schwietzer. I hope Silver continues to progress with their mountain bike operations. I hope people cut them a little slack. It goes without saying that this economy has hit everyone hard, from individuals to corporations.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I hope people cut them a little slack. It goes without saying that this economy has hit everyone hard, from individuals to corporations.
That's true. I tend to get down on them a bit because they kind of frittered away their potential. But, really, we should be thankful for every bit of driving-distance lift-assist riding we can get, no matter how podunk. Just have to keep in perspective that they will never be a Whistler and that they will always run things a bit backwoods-North-Idaho.

Last edited:

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Yes, absolutely. IMO, a 6" travel bike does better there than a full on dh rig. Just my opinion.
Bad advice IMO. Maybe a very aggressive and slack 6" bike that was light and pedaled well, would be a better choice than your DH race sled, (Similar to what a few raced at this yrs world champs). I know of a couple of good riders who brought both big and little rigs to past Silveroxx's........and both chose their DH rigs. The course is not super technical but it's fast, rough, has some bigger squirly jumps, and enough tech to keep you on your toes for sure.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Bad advice IMO. Maybe a very aggressive and slack 6" bike that was light and pedaled well, would be a better choice than your DH race sled, (Similar to what a few raced at this yrs world champs). I know of a couple of good riders who brought both big and little rigs to past Silveroxx's........and both chose their DH rigs. The course is not super technical but it's fast, rough, has some bigger squirly jumps, and enough tech to keep you on your toes for sure.
Yeah lets just say that those jumps weren't exactly built by Whistlers trail crew, they would work fine on a trail where you were just cruising but at the speeds you hit going into some of them they are nothing less than completely awkward.

swan3609

Chimp
Mar 18, 2008
^^ When I "rode" that section (and I use the term "rode" loosely...) back about 5 years ago the rocks reminded me of a field of sharks teeth sticking up out of the ground. I can only imagine what it looks like now.

That is good to hear about Schwietzer. I hope Silver continues to progress with their mountain bike operations. I hope people cut them a little slack. It goes without saying that this economy has hit everyone hard, from individuals to corporations.
I poached whats left of the Pro course for the first time on the last sunday that the schwiz was open. I rode Alterboy and the rest of the course that we could in hail and rain.. made for a fun first ride down that course :eek:.. I actually boosted down most of alterboy and it wasnt that bad if you just sent it..

but from the one video I saw of alterboy from back in the day, it has gotten WAAAY gnarlier there is NO dirt left on alterboy anywhere anywhere all the way down into the very bottom where it goes back up.. just solid rock and it is covered by loose rock to.. its a commitment line.. and after that i dont know what the rest of that course used to be like but it is just huge boulders everwhere and no dirt to be found now.. its like riding down a creek bed with only rock.. hella nasty.. but the most fun thing I have ever ridden..

As far as I am concered, I will take my buisness to Schweitzer from now on.. I personally prefer the technical at schweitzer and they actually have a trail crew that does a good job with the trails.. I got fed up with Silver and over spending with the waterpark..

I am all for promoting schweitzer and hopefully they will someday bring back a racing scene to schweitzer as it would be a awesome course and super fun being my local track..

I havnt ridden Silver this year but last year I rode and raced a Haro X7 with 6 inches of travel and did fine.. If your a smooth rider, 6 should be fine.. while I will still be on a full DH rig..

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Everyone without plans should go to this race. It's always a blast and there is a lift. You will get more riding done that you can imagine. That and three races costs less than a whislter lift ticket. It's going to be a blast.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
If you didn't go, be glad. The timing organization and all around execution were abysmal to say the least. Good job Silver for showing people that above all else, you don't give a damn. (sorry for the Debbie-downer post but they have shown all season that they could care less about the mountain bike community or bringing people back)

swan3609

Chimp
Mar 18, 2008
^^ No joke.. Silver is really falling off the deep end.. this year blew for them with dropping the FR and then only running the lift so much and then laying off the trail crew.. Silverroxx was a potential to redeam them selves and they pretty much screwed the whole thing up.. good thing I have herd rumors that Schweitzer picked up a FR stop next year.. good bye silver.. Schweitzer here I come!!

dklopp

Chimp
May 1, 2007
Carnation/Spokane, WA, USA
The first race was really fun with an awesome course, but there was something strange about the results (I don't know anything about the enduro race results because I left early). There was one guy who got put into a womans bracket for results and he would have placed in his bracket, one guy wasn't listed on the results, my friend got in three runs and only two were listed, and another friend's winning time was his run he crashed on (blew through the berm and rolled down the hill). Also, the top 4 riders in Cat 2 (19-29) beat all of Cat 1 (19-29) and all but one of the riders in the pro/open class, and I was one of them and it was my first race. Something is really fishy, ya think?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
The first race was really fun with an awesome course, but there was something strange about the results (I don't know anything about the enduro race results because I left early). There was one guy who got put into a womans bracket for results and he would have placed in his bracket, one guy wasn't listed on the results, my friend got in three runs and only two were listed, and another friend's winning time was his run he crashed on (blew through the berm and rolled down the hill). Also, the top 4 riders in Cat 2 (19-29) beat all of Cat 1 (19-29) and all but one of the riders in the pro/open class, and I was one of them and it was my first race. Something is really fishy, ya think?
Honestly, I mentioned my feelings toward the results to one of my riding buddies before the start of the enduro (mentioning the fact that a begginer had the fastest time of the day a 2:12 besting the pros winning time by over 10 seconds, pretty much an impossibility) and was quickly interrupted by the rider who's time it was telling me it was legit because he's ridden there loads... Keep living in that dream world there champ! Also the kid that 'won' the cat 1 19-29 race beat out 10 or so people who race constantly and have posted good results at much larger venues. Give me a break only in north Idaho can they screw up timing with a stop watch!

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Honestly, I mentioned my feelings toward the results to one of my riding buddies before the start of the enduro (mentioning the fact that a begginer had the fastest time of the day a 2:12 besting the pros winning time by over 10 seconds, pretty much an impossibility) and was quickly interrupted by the rider who's time it was telling me it was legit because he's ridden there loads... Keep living in that dream world there champ! Also the kid that 'won' the cat 1 19-29 race beat out 10 or so people who race constantly and have posted good results at much larger venues. Give me a break only in north Idaho can they screw up timing with a stop watch!
The course is too close to beacon, the timing gods just have it in for the inland northwest :)

Come to the moscow race in a few weeks (Oct 24th). I guarentee the timing will be accurate.

Kyle,

dklopp

Chimp
May 1, 2007
Carnation/Spokane, WA, USA
The course is too close to beacon, the timing gods just have it in for the inland northwest :)

Come to the moscow race in a few weeks (Oct 24th). I guarentee the timing will be accurate.

Kyle,
I am stoked for that race! And spocomptonrider, my friend was the one who won the cat 1 19-29, and i am not at all surprised he did. It was the perfect course for him and his bike (anyone know skye schillhammer riding a transition bottlerocket?). Full on dh bikes were big time over kill for the jam course. That being said tho, it is hard to judge who really got what times because of all of the errors.