Quantcast

Similar tire to Octopus..?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Hey guys I have been running hutchinson octopus tires on my bike but haven't had luck finding any online really. I guess its agressive xc or trail riding or however you want to classify it that I mainly ride. ie I pedal around on trails but I'll hit jumps and drops and ride urban etc...Anyways I am looking for either a place to find some hutchinson octopus tires (i'm not even sure if they are still made) or some other similar 2.3 tire. I've been thinking of getting some specialized chunders but would be open to ideas. Here is a pic of the tread pattern on the octopus

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah the octopus run big I'd say too. I didn't even check but do they sell chunders independent of bikes or are they only equipped on new bikes, I can't say I recall ever seeing any for sale now that I think about it.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah I'll have to find the local specialized dealer. What do you guys think of maxxis highrollers? I'd run the tougher tread compound because I ride on rocks and whatnot a lot of the time.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
GumbaFish said:
What do you guys think of maxxis highrollers? I'd run the tougher tread compound because I ride on rocks and whatnot a lot of the time.
I really like the Highroller as a rear tire.
They grip in almost all conditions, they keep their grip when leaned over in corners and off-cambers
+ the low rolling resistance is nice.
The only downside is that they don't stop you as good as the Minion R or Michelin Comp 24.
They tend to slide a little more than other DH tires when you try to slow down.
But this is just a 'minor' downside.
For my front wheel I prefer the Minion F.

The 60A duro lasts pretty long.
You can put a 60a in the rear and a 40/42a up front.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
According to shrymp its not, I guess I just suck at searching. Like I said I only found them on UK sites and they were like 60 bucks a piece. But I guess I just didn't look hard enough. I decided to just go the easy route and get some high rollers, cheaper and less fuss trying to find them...I need new tires bad and can't wait any longer because I have a tear that is growing in my pair now.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
If you want a 2.35 in a 2ply DH casing, you are really limited. The Kenda Nevegal is available here in the US but it is big. Its the same size as the Maxxis Highroller and Minion 2.5.

You can get the Highroller and Minions in 2ply in a 2.35 overseas. I order mine through www.chainreactioncycles.com and I have never had a problem.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=740

Even with shipping their prices are better than most online shops here in the US.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
GumbaFish said:
According to shrymp its not, I guess I just suck at searching. Like I said I only found them on UK sites and they were like 60 bucks a piece. But I guess I just didn't look hard enough. I decided to just go the easy route and get some high rollers, cheaper and less fuss trying to find them...I need new tires bad and can't wait any longer because I have a tear that is growing in my pair now.
I think shrimp said that they are available in the US from distributors like BTI, QBP, Wilson, etc. Bikeshops are immune to carrying and selling new stuff outside of their mainstream tires like Kenda and Maxxis. Any bikeshop can order almost any tire made if they just put in the call and order from their distributors. Lazy basterds.

God, here in SoCal, we can use another face in the tire market. I'm so sick of Kenda this and Kenda that. When I think of Kenda, I think of KMart. Atleast Maxxis has cool bike mag ads. Guh!

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yup, here at school I don't have access to a shop I like which kind of sucks because I either have to wait to get parts untill I go home or mailorder stuff when I would rather be supporting my lbs instead. One shop is full of a bunch of arrogant xc elitists and the other is pretty cool dh guys, but it just seems overpriced.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
I checked beyind bikes dot com and they carry Hutchinson for about the same price as the other tires. Supergo used to carry them but now they are in a more organized comapny with Performance. Thank god.

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
a dude in the parking lot at the hill told me octo's are done and they
redesigned the treadpattern just a bit and the casing alot. they call it 'scorpion' or something menacing. should be available one day.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
sharkdh said:
a dude in the parking lot at the hill told me octo's are done and they
redesigned the treadpattern just a bit and the casing alot. they call it 'scorpion' or something menacing. should be available one day.
a dude in the parking lot told me that ryan seacrest is straight.

I have the catalog from Sea Otter and the Octopus are still going to be available. The new tires are like sorta based on the Octopos pattern called the menacing Barracuda.