Quantcast

Sin City

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Anybody gone and seen this yet? Looks pretty sweet and got a lot of good reviews. Hopefully I can go see it tonight or tomorrow, but I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get in since I'm only 16. :D

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
I just got back from seeing it and will agree with NavatoSCFR that is is freakin' weird, I don't know what to think about it. I really like the style of filming but I'm not sure that I like the story. Mabye I need to go see it again.

COmtbiker12 It might be hard for you to get in, I had my ID checked 3 times. This is at a place where they usually don't check ID at all. This movie definitly earned its R rating.

Yeah Elijah Wood was pretty creepy, come to think of it almost everyone was creepy, I think the yellow guy might top the list though.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Just went and saw it. Great movie, highly entertaining, a little wierd and grotesque at some moments. I'm still a bit confused by the significance of the Josh Hartnett character, but probably reading the comics would help, anyone have some insight on it?

It is kind of cliched, at least the dialogue, but it also has some moments of brilliance and it works well with the cliches. The cinematography is incredible and very traditional in some senses, but at the same time it is like nothing you have seen before(though it did remind me of some Kill Bill 1 and 2 scenes at times).

Also, the girls in the group liked it a lot as well, so while I wouldn't call it a date movie, it isn't just a guy's action movie.

Jessica Alba and the Gilmore Girl's chick are so hot!

The Ito

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
That was hands down the best comic book movie I have ever seen. The visuals were stunning and the over the top Noir dialogue was hilarious. The violence was very intense but highly stylized. I especially like the heroes, they were all very noble while at the same time their depravity was off the charts. The cast is absolutely amazing, and all of them do a top notch job. Especially Mickey Rourke & Bruce Willis.

Christians hated it, but summed it up nicely. (movieguide.org)
Filmmaking virtuosity aside, SIN CITY is despicable. It glamorizes and justifies its violence and anti-social behaviors to a highly successful degree.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
johnbryanpeters said:
Why are violent and gruesome films attractive?

J
That statement was fairly tongue in cheek. It was pretty brutal, brutal enough to make even me cringe... and I think Fargo is hilarious. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it exactly, the filmaking was incredible and for the most part the stories were cool, but a few things were just really over the top. I'm thinking specifically here of the canibblism, the removal of certian reproductive organs by hand, various scenes of torture, ect... This movie makes kill bill look like the A-team. The only other movie I've ever seen that was even close is Se7en.

The Christians hated it?? no way...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Tenchiro said:
That was hands down the best comic book movie I have ever seen. The visuals were stunning and the over the top Noir dialogue was hilarious. The violence was very intense but highly stylized. I especially like the heroes, they were all very noble while at the same time their depravity was off the charts. The cast is absolutely amazing, and all of them do a top notch job. Especially Mickey Rourke & Bruce Willis.

Christians hated it, but summed it up nicely. (movieguide.org)
Christians hated it? I'm a Christian and hate being grouped with those socially inept, sheltered, and ultra-conservative Christians; it drives me nuts. They basically throw away the entire new testament (which is about helping others), go back to the old one (which is about rules and covenants) and make a fuss when anything doesn't fall into its guidelines, making a terrible social impact and slandering the name of Christianity. Chances are I'll love the movie, but I haven't seen it yet.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
ito said:
I'm still a bit confused by the significance of the Josh Hartnett character, but probably reading the comics would help, anyone have some insight on it?
He's just a hitman, it's really a bookend story, the intro shows his work, then from that you see the girl gets her commupance.

johnbryanpeters said:
Why are violent and gruesome films attractive?

J
This movie had great artistic talent driving the entire filming process. And besides sex, violence, it's all carnal primal shtuff. Heck i like a more realistic tear jerker like Million Dollar Baby too. but film can't always be banana's and carrots, you gotta have a bag of doritos once in a while.
This is a movie based on a violent comic book. Being a former collector i have to say that they did an excellent job transfering over Frank Millers vision into film.
Seems like they were able to get away with more violence using the black and white medium, such as what the case with Kill Bill 1 when the bride fought the crazy 88's at the club. It would have never passed the MPAA if the blood had been red not white as it appeared in the film.
What a great flick, i'm definately gonna see it again at Paul Allens Cinerama theater.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Is it Ok to go see a movie by your self? Keep in mind i am 16... No one seems to want to go on a sunday night.

ridecruz888

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
COmtbiker12 said:
Anybody gone and seen this yet? Looks pretty sweet and got a lot of good reviews. Hopefully I can go see it tonight or tomorrow, but I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get in since I'm only 16. :D
dude i watched that commercial sat night at this party, crazzzyyyyyzyyzy

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Wow, just got back from it. Despite having homework I should be doing it was a SWEET movie!!!

First off, the cinematography is amazing, its such a cool idea for it to be all in black and white but have certain thigns in flagrant colors to stick out and be symbolic for different aspects of the story.
Second, the story is pretty fricken sweet, it's like a puzzle and you're handed different pieces of it throughout the movie, although it seems that there's several puzzles that weave into one... not at once.
Next, the women are all beautiful in little to no clothing (none a decent amount of time :D ) There's a hot asian girl that has mad skills with swords, its awesome. :drool:
Next, Elijah Wood's character freaked the sh1t out of me! He's this little midget that never says a word. And his glasses are really creepy. Everytime you see him the music turns to this sort of static hum.

All in all, this movie is definitely a STRONG R, with a plentiful of naked beautiful women, probably 50 people violently killed but surprisingly little harsh language. I'd recommend seeing it. I'm gonna buy it when its out.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
From Drudge...

# 1 MOVIE IN USA WEEKEND POPE DIES 'SIN CITY' FEATURES A CARDINAL AS CANNIBAL, IN LEAGUE WITH A SERIAL KILLER WHO READS THE BIBLE, A CROSS IN JUST ABOUT EVERY SCENE... MOVIE FEATURES BRUCE WILLIS RIPPING A MAN'S PENIS OFF...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Good flick - worth seeing. And N8 - the ripping balls of scene was definitely worth watching...gross as it was, yay to bruce willis...and ugh - can you imagine the stank of the yellow dude?