Quantcast

Since diet seems to be the key for fat loss, can anyone suggest a good book?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I know a guy who is having good luck with Dr Phils advice, but does anyonw know of a good solid book on changing your eating habits?

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Its basically common sense. What has worked for me was suggested by a friend. Eat less. I try to keep my daily diet to about 2000 calories. I was taking in 3000+. Also that should not be 2000 calories worth of greesy fried stuffs everyday. You can still have your fav burger or what not just not every night.

Just count your calories for a week while on your current eating habbits. And then slowly change to adapt to what you want to weigh.

The figure out how much you need to eat to weight a certian amount do this.

12 (calories buned per day by one pound of body weight) X weight you want to be = how many calories you need to take in.

For me its this
12 x 150 = 1800

And this is for if you just sit there and do nothing. You can usually add about 200 for daily activities like driving and walking and what not.

I know I didnt answer your question but reading books and having them tell you what you like is kinda hard. I have been through 3 books and I took advice from all of them but with help from my friend came up with something I am happy with.

Here are two books that I looked though. I dont remember the last one.

Lean Bodies - Cliff sheets? ( he says to eat more calories but I just gained weight)

Body for life ( has some good tips.)

Hope this helps

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You don't need a book.

Stop eating out.

Don't eat anything that is sold prepackaged, eat as much fresh food as you can - if it comes in a box, can or is shaped like pizza or cookies -don't eat it. :cool:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by Serial Midget
You don't need a book.

Stop eating out.

Don't eat anything that is sold prepackaged, eat as much fresh food as you can - if it comes in a box, can or is shaped like pizza or cookies -don't eat it. :cool:
Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!

When you eat out it's so much harder to control your portions. Plus, do you really know what is in the food?

Edit: Watch your empty calories. Like soda, jucie, and candy. Fat free doesn't mean calorie free.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
When I eat out, I tend to stick with chicken and fish sometimes pork. Most of the time it is pretty easy to tell what is in stuff. But I do fall prey to meals in a box. Nothing like frozen pizzas or TV Dinners. Usually pre-made rice dishes to go along with somthing I make. Sometimes I do have a pot pie or something though.

For example, I will make a pork chop and serve it along side with some Red Beans and Rice from a bag and maybe some asparagus. Sometimes I will grill a fillet of Salmon and and have it along side steamed red potatos with some sort of veggie. Usually asparagus, since it is about the only green vegetable I enjoy eating.

For lunches I have been trying to steer clear of fast food, but do go for teryaki alot, with is mostly just chicken and rice. I don't usually eat the greasy cabbage crap they put on it. At the most I have fast food like once a week.

I eat alot of PB&J's too on mutli grain bread, I love those things.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by CrAckErKorEan

Just count your calories for a week while on your current eating habbits. And then slowly change to adapt to what you want to weigh.

The figure out how much you need to eat to weight a certian amount do this.

12 (calories buned per day by one pound of body weight) X weight you want to be = how many calories you need to take in.

For me its this
12 x 150 = 1800

And this is for if you just sit there and do nothing. You can usually add about 200 for daily activities like driving and walking and what not.

Hope this helps
This makes since to me, but I can never figure out how many calories to add for my activity level.

So I want to weight 130 lb - 12 X 130 = 1560 calories.

I run 6+ miles a day. Lift weights 2x a week and usually hit the trail 3-4 x a week for a ride.

So how many calories should I add to the 1560 so I'm not starving?

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
I figure with my frame 200lbs is probably doable. As I was about 180ish before I quit smoking. That comes out to about 2400 calories.

Sounds easy enough to me, now I just need to start logging what I eat. (which wil be the hard part...)

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
SNACKS - What I ended up doing was getting a Heart Rate monitor that counts calories for your heigh weight and sex. Its not exactly accurate but its in the ball park. And from there I usually add half of the calories burned.

I ride and burn 1200 calories so its safe to eat 600 more so that would be 2400 calories if i rode.

For me I am 5'7" and 207 right now. Im shooting for 150 but i have a wide build and my dr suggests 180. So we will see what happens.

Make sure to be honest to your self. Dont count that 1.5 cups or white rice as one and only log 150 calories instead of the actual 225.

Also its not all in the weight its mostly about body fat to. I dont mind being 200lbs if I was 15% body fat. But thats another story.

Dont hold me liable to any of this I am not a DR. This is what has worked for me. ( CYA statement)
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Here is a good site for calorie counts
http://www.caloriescount.org/cgi-bin/calorie_calculator.cgi

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
Tenchiro, i think you need to start liking vegetables more, and stop eating what you used to eat (for the most part) because obviously it wasnt working. Losing weight, and eating healthy is not easy, it requires sacrifice and hard work, if you have been eating bad for a long time i would reccommend talking to a legit nutritionist, or something, so you can get a good idea of what a solid meal is. I really like some of John Berardi's articles, they makes sense, and are pretty easy to apply:
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/leaneating_1.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/leaneating_2.htm

and lastly here is a calorie calculator, it is set up to tell you how many calories a week to gain weight, but you can get the number it gives you and just make sure your daily caloric intake is below that, and you should be good:
http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/july262002/na_masscalculator.htm