Quantcast

Single girl

cranberry

Monkey
Dec 30, 2005
Waaaay out there
I have been toying with the idea of building a singlespeed for about a year now.
She is about 99% finished. I took her for a spin last week and completely fell in love with the simplicity of riding SS. I hadn't realized how lazy I was being when riding geared. I will be disassembling her next week to have the frame, seatpost, stem, and bars bead-blasted to the bare aluminum finish. I havnt put her on a scale yet, but I would guess she's in the 25 pound range. Not too bad considering I built this out of pretty much spare parts sitting in the garage.

cranberry

Monkey
Dec 30, 2005
Waaaay out there
It's one of the old Nashbar Aluminum frames. The paint looks MUCH better in the pic than in person. It sat in a parts box for over a year getting chipped and scratch from headtube to dropouts. I might scrap the bead blast idea due to a friend that might hook me up with a Zion frame. I've never had a steel MTB but from what all the local SS riders say, I will love it compaired to riding aluminum. I'll have to see if "Steel is real" for myself.

I've already done some upgrades and I'm picking up a set of XTR cranks Thursday for it. I'm sure I'll post it again when it's finished.

Feb 1, 2008
mavisdale,va

steel and SS's definately go together and "steel is real".

i've not ridden the zions,but if all you've ridden were harsh alluminum frames,you'll love it,IMHO.

i too love that blue...i have a nashbar steelie frame hangin on the wall in the dining room (aka:bike room) in that color.i'll get around to building it someday...

have fun and hope you enjoy it!!!:cheers:

cranberry

Monkey
Dec 30, 2005
Waaaay out there
Man did I ever drink the Kool-aid...I have absolutely fallen in love with SS
I know I posted a week or so ago about my new build but a few things have changed.
It's kind of sad that I'm a freerider at heart but my most zoot bike is my SS.

New build as follows:
Frame: Zion 853....Hell yeah! Steel is real.
Fork: Fox F80RLT
Headset: Hope
Wheels: Mavic Crossland 24 spoke F/R
Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph (soon to be tubeless)
Stem: Thompson Elite
Bars: Answer Protaper
Brakes: Avid BB7
Cranks: XTR with 110mm adapter
Chainring: Surly 32T
Cog: Boone Titanium 17T
Skewers: Titanium (I forgot the manufacturer)
Pedals: Shimano PD-M770
I havnt weighed it yet but compared to my 24.5 pound BMX bike it feels like a feather. I would assume it's in the 20-21 pound range.
I rode it yesterday and this thing is a rocket.
I know it's is dirty and it's a horrible pic taken at night but I wanted to show her off.

Last edited:

jjym

Chimp
Nov 17, 2008
Hey folks,
Gotta say those bikes are way cool. Just one question, how do you get the chains on it so perfectly without horizontal drop-outs? No tensioners either? I've tried but my chain either seems too tight or too loose on my bikes. Thanks!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hey folks,
Gotta say those bikes are way cool. Just one question, how do you get the chains on it so perfectly without horizontal drop-outs? No tensioners either? I've tried but my chain either seems too tight or too loose on my bikes. Thanks!
Some bikes you can find a "magic gear ratio" that works, but you still have to keep your eye out for chain stretch. Some other bikes, the owners may use an Eccentric rear hub which allows them to get the right tension without use of a chain tensioning device. Just a couple of ways that people can get good tight chains without horizontal drops.

HOpe this helps.

cranberry

Monkey
Dec 30, 2005
Waaaay out there
Eno hub was out of my budget.
Eno BB for that matter.

Hey folks,
As stated above, some frames will not allow for the perfect gear.
Here's how I did it...
Find a ratio that works where a NEW chain is just a little too tight. You may need a half-link.
File a flat spot on the axle to make it BARELY tight. (just tight enough to allow for chain stretch)
Make sure you take the same amount off both sides.
When the chain stretches and becomes loose (about 1" of play) rotate the axle to the regular side.
It works great. I have around 300 miles on my set up and I've never thrown a chain.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Man did I ever drink the Kool-aid...I have absolutely fallen in love with SS
I know I posted a week or so ago about my new build but a few things have changed.
It's kind of sad that I'm a freerider at heart but my most zoot bike is my SS.

New build as follows:
Frame: Zion 853....Hell yeah! Steel is real.
Fork: Fox F80RLT
Headset: Hope
Wheels: Mavic Crossland 24 spoke F/R
Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph (soon to be tubeless)
Stem: Thompson Elite
Bars: Answer Protaper
Brakes: Avid BB7
Cranks: XTR with 110mm adapter
Chainring: Surly 32T
Cog: Boone Titanium 17T
Skewers: Titanium (I forgot the manufacturer)
Pedals: Shimano PD-M770
I havnt weighed it yet but compared to my 24.5 pound BMX bike it feels like a feather. I would assume it's in the 20-21 pound range.
I rode it yesterday and this thing is a rocket.
I know it's is dirty and it's a horrible pic taken at night but I wanted to show her off.

:thumb: I have the same frame also set up as a SS (need a new fork though). LOVE it!