Quantcast

single piv?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
OGRipper said:
That is pretty nifty, nice work. I'm trying to wrap my brain around how you can change rate without changing the leverage ratio. I've always thought they were so related that you couldn't change one without changing the other...? I probably need a better understanding of the terms.

Yeah I can see how an acceleration force from the rear wheel on a squishy bike could really screw with things. I'm picturing a rear wheel chasing a front wheel, giving an inchworm effect if it's not factored in how the design responds to acceleration. How you deal with it is the trick eh?

Truly one of those things where the more I learn the more I realize I don't know...
generally the variable mounts you find on production bikes change both rates and leverage because they only alter a shock pivot point, and not the linkage. On my design it requires adjusting the dogbone length and changing its frame pivot (the shock stays in the same spot), so its not a quick process.

the acceleration of the rear wheel is the major factor in suspension design for stability under power; chain effects are quite small.