Quantcast

Single Speed Newb

Isitinya

Chimp
Aug 18, 2005
SoCal
I have decided to start building up a ss to round out my stable of bikes and to bring new experience to my riding. I am thinking of using an old reynolds tubed 19" GT Karakoram (circa 90-1) with WTB Laser wheels. My question is what forks would be good? I was thinking either a Surly 1x1 or instigator. Also, what cranks would workout best? I have a Race Face turbine laying around and I figured I could remove two of the rigns. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Isitinya said:
I have decided to start building up a ss to round out my stable of bikes and to bring new experience to my riding. I am thinking of using an old reynolds tubed 19" GT Karakoram (circa 90-1) with WTB Laser wheels. My question is what forks would be good? I was thinking either a Surly 1x1 or instigator. Also, what cranks would workout best? I have a Race Face turbine laying around and I figured I could remove two of the rigns. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
I think that if you have the original fork, use it. Is it 1" threaded? If so, or in any event, it will be hard to buy an off the shelf rigid fork that will work, as most are 1-1/4" dia and threadless. Also, most of the forks these days are corrected around a 80 or 100 mm suspension fork. This means that a new rigid fork (again off the shelf) will tend to jack up the front end. This will result in undesirable handling characteristics. So, you either have the original for or you have to find an oem or you get to spring for a custom made fork. I see those options, not the Surly. I am sure others will chime in or prove me wrong. BTW-SSing is addictive. Just a little warning.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I agree, that frame was most likely not designed with suspension in mind and a susp-corrected fork might not be a good idea.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Isitinya said:
Also, what cranks would workout best? I have a Race Face turbine laying around and I figured I could remove two of the rigns.QUOTE]Just about any cranks that aren't broken will work. Remove the inner and outer. Start with something on the order of 32 or 34 teet, and a cog or freewheel with 18 or 20 teet. I run less than 2:1 ratio, cuz I got hills to negotiate. I run a 104 BCD crank on an ISIS spindle. I have heard people poo-poo ISIS for SS. No problems yet. If you can get your hands on a 5 bolt 110 BCD, there are tons of options for rings. I recommend Salsa rings, cheap and they work. I am assuming you have a threaded freewheel on the back. If so, then you need a thread on BMX freewheel and it will be harder to acheive the "exact" chainline. Finding a wheel that uses as cassette (if you are so lucky) allows one to put combinations of spacers in there to get a golden chainline. Hope all this makes sense. Good luck. :thumb:

Isitinya

Chimp
Aug 18, 2005
SoCal
Thanks for the input guys! It really helps me out because I am a complete newb at SS. Though, I am a little concerned about it being addictive... like I have enough problems with my 3 other bikes! ;)

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Isitinya said:
Thanks for the input guys! It really helps me out because I am a complete newb at SS. Though, I am a little concerned about it being addictive... like I have enough problems with my 3 other bikes! ;)
It is not that bad of an additcion, I am on my 3rd one in three years. Basically, upgrading each step, first was a converted Bridgestone (same era as your GT), then a SS specific On-One Inbred (one of the most personable bikes I have ever owned, so intuitive), and now a converted Dean Private that was retrofitted with an EBB (eccentric bottom bracket) and disc tab by Vulture Cycles out in Bend, Oregon. Won't be long now till your camelbak has beer in it, you carry a hip flask of single malt scotch, and all you want to ride is a single speed. It is really a hoot. Different.