Quantcast

Single Speed

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I am guessing that you have a 1x8 or 1x9 setup now. Singlespeed will remove the following:

Shifter
Cable
Derailleur
Cassette (leaving one cog instead)
Some length of chain

Depending upon how heavy the components are that you are using now, that could be a fair amount of weight lost.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
it might make a differance but i dont think it will make a huge differance.most likely it the frame itself and poarts like that what make the bike heavy.u could by carbon fiber parts..hope this helps
:plthumbsdown:
First off, carbon parts on a DJ bike...:disgust1:
second, and people think I have bad spelling?

yikes.

El Bandito

Chimp
Sep 7, 2007
San Mateo, CA
I lost weight off my p2 with:
-ditching gears
-saints instead of the holtzfeller cranks
-holly rollers instead of the specialized tires
-cut the seat post
-no front brake

El Bandito

Chimp
Sep 7, 2007
San Mateo, CA
i dont have the exact weight but holding the holly roller in one hand and the specialized in the other, you can definitely feel a difference. holly is single ply and the specialized is double.

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
if you use micro gearing to replace ur current drivetrain it would definitely help lose weight. but u will probably have to use bmx cranks to use one of those tiny sprockets up front.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Singlespeed is all you really need for a dirt jumper. Less parts to break, lighter, can adjust chain tension, more bar space to grab, less parts to snag, cheaper upkeep, etc.

mason1

Chimp
Mar 17, 2007
in my own little world
on a dj bike, you pretty much just need one speed, and one back brake, lighter tires are a plus, also, I dont know how much you are looking to spend/deal with, but depending on your wheels, maybe look into light(er) wheels