Quantcast

Single Tracks any better than Single Wides?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Technically for my street machine, but you guys will try anything to save a pound! I need something lighter than my current setup, but strong as furk. I'm all about the MTX's on my dirt machines, but don't care much for the tall bead lip on them for street. LOVE the rounded lip styles of the DoubleTracks/Bombshell rim types, though...
So if not Single tracks, what else?

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
i run em but i also replace them 2 or maybe three times for the rear wheel. from april- january. that is mostly diablo's fault though damn rocks. they hold together after the seam starts to split for along time also if you dont tool on em i bet they would last longer but they are similar to the alex supra big hit dh in my opinion. if you not a big dude or you ride smooth try em out .

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
My vote goes to the EX721. About the same weight as the Single tracks, and pretty durable from my experience. XM321's are pretty decent too and even lighter.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
This isn't a pretty bike, by anyone's standards, It's my "learning bitch!"

And what I meant to say, and didn't have time to think it through, was thatI'm looking for a rim with the strength of an MTX, but not the tall bead lip, and lighter than the friggin Double Tracks that are on it now! This is my little steel Black Market Riot street unit.
And I think I had a set of Rhynos...and I don't think they lasted much longer than a set of Ditch Witches I had... May have been the build, though...

This bike MIGHT see a little dirt from time to time, but mostly just unforgiving concrete.

Oct 8, 2003
Single tracks have always been great to me, I ran the same front and rear for a whole season, raced every diablo along with at least 5 other races and a trip out west. I even raced 3/4 of the 2nd domination race with a flat and it was not even phased by it. I actually sold the bike after the season with the same rims on it and they were still in good condition and holding air with stans. For a H/T dirtjumper or urban bike they are pretty strong as far as getting flat spots but they knock out of true really easy when doing spin tricks. Unless you always land perfect...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Too many old school flatland tricks? :)

Perhaps I'm not to the level where front wheel damage becomes an issue. My biggest killer is hips over gaps with crisp edges and casing... Kind of a "duh" but it's one of my fav things to do(like over stair wells on hill sides or banks?). The Double tracks have been taking it, but they may also be the reason I don't always make it! Foofs on sharp edged ledges is my other favorite bad idea. Maybe I'll give the Single Tracks a wack... no pun intended...and keep 60+ in the rear...

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
the rims i have had the best luck with have been
d521's- not one out of true
d3.1's- no idea how it held up. ran the same one for over four years and it was perfect, tubeless the whole time too and finally ripped a nipple thread in dealy out of it a few months ago
alex rim that all the trials riders run... gonna drill it out big time next week me thinks
and tioga skunk rims my all time fav's. really really really wish they would make them again. please

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Any idea what that Alex rim is that the trials boys are running??? I've been wondering that for awhile now. Even at their smoothest, some of that stuff is HARSH. And it's gotta be reasonably light, no? Or is that why they drill em out?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Any idea what that Alex rim is that the trials boys are running??? I've been wondering that for awhile now. Even at their smoothest, some of that stuff is HARSH. And it's gotta be reasonably light, no? Or is that why they drill em out?
DX32 i do believe.

i had one of them for a while, mad flatspots after not too long.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
And I think I had a set of Rhynos...and I don't think they lasted much longer than a set of Ditch Witches I had... May have been the build, though...
Where they Rhyno Lite or Rhyno lite XL, the XL makes a little bit of difference because it's welded and slightly wider. If you're blowing up lighter rims maybe you need to suck it up and stick with the heavier rims.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Where they Rhyno Lite or Rhyno lite XL, the XL makes a little bit of difference because it's welded and slightly wider. If you're blowing up lighter rims maybe you need to suck it up and stick with the heavier rims.
I'm assuming they were the standard Rhynos as this was awhile ago, BUT they were also built up by a friend as a learning build. And I've been pondering it a bit, and I'm not really "destroying" rims, Just knockin em about, a bit. I just don't like the IDEA that I could destroy one, as the worst thing on the planet for me is not being able to ride due to broken stuff! And even with ginked rims, I don't always have the time to true, and not really the knowledge to do it right(time to learn!), and my friggin joke of an LBS wants $30 to TRUE rims, $60 to build! Next closest place, seriously, is one hour away in the next state. NO BS.

alexchannell

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
DX32 i do believe.

i had one of them for a while, mad flatspots after not too long.
yep DX32, have one on my trials bike....24" 36 hole. Never had to true it and it recieves some brutal hits (when i screw up which is fairly often). Way stronger than my azonic outlaws or mavic...f327s? I forget if thats the right number of not.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
i run the D24's and they are super strong. I'm not to smooth either. Under some big dirt jumps, alot of park, and alot of street, they still work just fine.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Dayammmn..the DX32s weigh more than my Double Tracks!
OK, so been thinking about this, and the design of the typical street/trials rim... Since I'm not really casing stuff as much as just twisting the rims, a wide, tall rim is what I want... Something like a Rhynolite XL and a bunch of PSI? I think if I was DJ'n then my MTXs would be great, but I'm pretty sure I'll destroy them on the street. And like stated before, if you guys all love the DX32s and they weigh as much as my Double Tracks(which I can't seem to screw up), then maybe I should just go with what I'm rollin on... But DAMN, that things hard to get up da big ledges!