Quantcast

Single Umbilical Artery ?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Apparently, an umbilical cord has two arteries and one vein. Our ultrasound today showed one artery and one vein. Typically, the second artery is redundant and it's still possible* to have a completely healthy baby with one artery. However...

Googling turned up so many sources of 'info' and it seems like no one is sure of it's significance, so I hoped someone here is knowledgeable or knows someone who is.

I'd like to get as much useful info as I can on my own so to be informed when we meet with the doctor again to discuss it in full.

* rough estimates from "studies" that always ended with "more research needs to be done" seems to be that 70% of SUA pregnancies end with no complications, most of the rest have one complications, small percentage has multiple complications.

Apparently, complications can range from heart and kidney issues to the kid wanting to ride a unicycle.

By the way, the ultrasound went well, while the technician couldn't see everything, the spine, brain and nut sack all looked normal. The way he was coiled up, we couldn't get a great look at the heart (tho the tech said she saw four chambers), but he was fine spreading his legs and letting his junk hang out.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
hhhmmm.....mother in law was head of the OB for a long time....I'll ask her

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Be careful with google when it comes to pregnancy. I have no info to offer except that worry is a bad thing for babies. Relax and enjoy the weekend. Talk it over with the doc and stay away from google.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
If you can get access to it I suggest you search EBSCO. That is the best research resource for legit information anywhere. You can also probably get into a college's medical library without a student id. If not ask a student friend to help you out.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
If you can get access to it I suggest you search EBSCO. That is the best research resource for legit information anywhere. You can also probably get into a college's medical library without a student id. If not ask a student friend to help you out.
Community college libraries are open to the public for the most part considering you pay for them.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Best access I have is to my old schools library (on-line). I do have book references I can get for you.

OVID Nursing Collection II turned up this:

35. Predanic M, Pereni SC, Friedman A, Chervenak FA, Chasen ST. Fetal growth assessment and neonatal birth weight in fetuses with an isolated single umbilical artery. Obstet Gynecol. 2005;105:1093-1097.

36. Morgan BLG, Ross MG. Umbilical cord complications. (On-line article.) Omaha, Neb: www.emedicine.com. Updated March 1, 2006. Available at: http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3276.htm. Accessed April 24, 2007.

Nash, Patricia RNC, MSN, NNP Umbilical Catheters, Placement, and Complication Management. Journal of Infusion Nursing. 29(6):346-352, November/December 2006.

This comes from www.pubmed.gov

1: J Matern Fetal Investig. 1998 Dec;8(4):156-159.Links
Perinatal Management and Outcome of Fetuses with Single Umbilical Artery Diagnosed Prenatally.Lee CN, Cheng WF, Lai HL, Cheng SP, Shih JC, Shyu MK, Kau ML, Hsieh FJ.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan

> Objective: To investigate the perinatal management and outcome of fetuses diagnosed prenatally with single umbilical artery. Methods: Sixty-one consecutive fetuses with single umbilical artery diagnosed prenatally by ultrasonography were included. Thorough prenatal ultrasonographic screening was carried out to detect associated congenital anomalies. Chromosome study by either amniocentesis or cordocentesis was performed for all 61 of the fetuses with single umbilical artery. Thorough physical examination or autopsy was performed after delivery. Results: All 61 fetuses were confirmed to have single umbilical artery after delivery. Ten (16.4%) of the 61 fetuses with single umbilical artery had abnormal karyotypes. In the single umbilical artery group with abnormal karyotyping, 8 had detectable structural abnormalities, 1 had symmetrical intrauterine growth retardation, and 1 had no apparent congenital anomalies. For the 51 fetuses with normal karyotyping, 28 had abnormal ultrasonographic findings. In 23 fetuses with single umbilical artery without chromosomal or structural anomalies diagnosed in utero, 7 (30.4%) were found to have structural anomalies (3 with congenital heart disease, 3 with congenital renal disease, and 1 with limb deformity) after birth. Conclusion: Prenatal diagnosis of single umbilical artery should be made with caution to avoid false positive cases. When single umbilical artery is diagnosed prenatally, we suggest 1) targeted ultrasonography for detection of anomalies with cardiovascular, genitorenal, and limb-skeletal systems; 2) chromosome study for those with intrauterine growth retardation or other associated defects; and 3) thorough investigation after birth.

PMID: 9892748 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

I got this from Kaplan University's online library, henceforth the legitimacies of the cited articles. If need be, this weekend I would be more than glad to log on and research further for you from the schools library. Just shoot me a PM, and I would be more than glad to help.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
and more:

1: Arkh Patol. 2007 May-Jun;69(3):42-5.Links
[Pathomorphological features of placentas with the single umbilical artery and a study of follow-ups of these babies][Article in Russian]

Rogozhin DV, Milovanov AP.
The paper deals with the evaluation of pathomorphological and morphometrical changes in placenta with the single umbilical artery (SUA). The histological data on 52 placentas with SUA (group 1) were analyzed. A control group included 30 placentas from females with an uncomplicated obstetrical history. The significance of group differences was determined Student's test. In the placentas with SUA, their pathohistology shows a significantly marked isolated placental form of chronic placental insufficiency. In SUA, chorionic villous maturation and differentiation are impaired. Chorionic villous immaturity hampers the development of adequate compensatory adaptive changes that appear as compensatory angiomatosis of terminal villi and more pronounced cytotrophoblastic microcystic changes.

PMID: 17722596 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
1: Ultrasound Q. 2007 Jun;23(2):117-21. Links
The value of single umbilical artery in the prediction of fetal aneuploidy: findings in 12,672 pregnant women.Granese R, Coco C, Jeanty P.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Messina, Messina, Italy. robertagr74@gmail.com

OBJECTIVES: To assess the risk of the association of single umbilical artery and aneuploidies. METHODS: In a general unselected obstetric population of 12,672 singleton pregnant women from January 1998 to December 2002, we detected 61 fetuses (prevalence, 0.48%) with single umbilical artery (SUA) on prenatal ultrasound at 16 to 23 menstrual weeks. RESULTS: Among the 61 fetuses with 2-vessel cord, 39 (64%) had SUA as an isolated finding, and 22 (36%) had additional findings, either minor or major. One (2.56%) of the 39 fetuses with SUA as an isolated finding had aneuploidy (trisomy 21 at maternal age of 32 years), whereas 5 (41.6%) of the 12 fetuses with SUA concomitant with major anomalies were aneuploid. None of the 10 fetuses with SUA and minor anomalies had aneuploidy. Among the 12,611 women with 3-vessel cord, we instead found 8 cases of trisomy 21 (0.06%), 1 case of translocation 14-21 (0.007%), 5 cases of trisomy 18 (0.04%), 1 case of trisomy 13 (0.007%), 1 case of 47,XXX (0.007%), and 2 cases of monosomy X (0.01%). CONCLUSIONS: In an unselected population, second trimester sonographic detection of SUA and major fetal anomalies indicate increased risk for fetal aneuploidy. However, even if this study is based on a large population, the only 1 case of trisomy 21 among the fetuses with SUA as an isolated finding is not sufficient to draw a conclusion, and larger studies are needed to confirm or infirm this single case.

PMID: 17538487 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
LO, stop researching online. You are just going to freak yourself out, and probably your wife as an added bonus. Decidedly not the best thing for your baby's health. What your baby needs at this point is a comfortable, healthy, and calm mother. She is the life support system for your child. You need her to be in the best possible condition to grow the baby. There so many redundant systems in the human body, most of the time it's of little to no consequence if one of a pair is missing. PM me if you want to discuss this further.

-Danny

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
Googling turned up so many sources of 'info' and it seems like no one is sure of it's significance, so I hoped someone here is knowledgeable or knows someone who is.
I know you would least expect me to have the least bit of knowledge on anything whatsoever especially medical

This is basically the area im in at the moment studying in the circulatory system, simply put, an artery is more liable to damage and clogging than veins are, this should only affect in a matter such as people who have a history of the disease, arteriosclerosis, this is a disease in which a body does not break down fatty acids as needed (or too much fat is taken in [overeating]) which allows these acids to be released into the blood, the disease will can cause hardening of arteries, blockage, and blood clotting. The simple way this risk can be avoided is lower intake of fat, which allows the body to cope better with what it is able. In the case of the umbilical cord, the vein is larger than the two arteries which allows blood flow to be even (veins shrink and expand with blood flow but not arteries which are constantly under pressure). There is the greatest chance that everything will turn out perfectly. Since the baby's major organ's are developed (and the organs we consider major) there is evidently a good supply of oxygen. In all review of what i have said that second artery is a safety net for failure, which is unlikely in the first place. :) congrats on duh baby!

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Be careful with google when it comes to pregnancy. I have no info to offer except that worry is a bad thing for babies. Relax and enjoy the weekend. Talk it over with the doc and stay away from google.

:imstupid:

My wife almost drove herself crazy after getting pregnant. Our child is perfectly normal.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
LO,

when Sophie was in NICU, the girl 2 rooms down (who worked with Bek a few years back) had a baby where the ambilical cord was formed only having 2 of the 3 chambers (that is the way it was explained to me) Her baby was born very small, but he is doing great now. I think size was the main concern because all of the ultra sounds looked fine, and all the organs were developing. The baby was born premature due to complications (not completely related to the ambilical conditions) I think she had pre-eclampsia which is why the baby came early.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks everyone!

The funny posts were appreciated. The informative posts about this not being nearly as big a deal were also appreciated. And research and talking to the doctor tonight seemed to indicate that this is only a "red flag".

They're going to do another ultrasound, but the next one will be done by the doctor instead of a technician to look for problems. The doctor made it sound routine.

Sounds like the biggest concern is that with one artery, the stress of delivery might be too much so the most likely problems would lead to a c-section over any other scenario.

So Cletus the Fetus gets a Womb With A View.