Quantcast

Singlecrown Dorado

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Anyone have a singlecrown Dorado that they are looking to get rid of? I have been searching for one of these suckers for a while but they all seem to be hiding in the depths...

Monkey
is there a reason why you want a Dorado SC? They were extremely expensive for the time and I have never seen one in person.

now as far as Inverted SCs go, I have a 100mm Shiver SC and you can't pay me enough to sell it.:cheers:

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
...and they didn't come in rootbeer either! :biggrin:

flexy as hell, but it takes direct hits really nice! i had a DC too!!!! :cupidarrow:

Last edited:

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
FWIW, I loved my SC shiver. The flex was definatly blown out of proportion by people, genreally people who never rode one and heard for their girlfriends little brother that rode with a guy that rode a shiver SC...
I too have been looking for a dorado SC.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
FWIW, I loved my SC shiver. The flex was definatly blown out of proportion by people, genreally people who never rode one and heard for their girlfriends little brother that rode with a guy that rode a shiver SC...
I too have been looking for a dorado SC.
I actually heard it from the cousin of a guy who knew a chick that dated a guy that had one...

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I rode a shiver sc for about 2 minutes at Ray's. The fork twisted like a noodle in the breeze. It was really plush, but seriously, how can you be psyched on something that steers so badly?

Supernaut

Chimp
Feb 12, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I owned one a couple of years back. In 2005 i think.....cant remember.
And as woody points out this fork is as noodly as they get. Completely and utterly useless. The damper is great, but the chassi is just stupid.

Monkey
I rode a shiver sc for about 2 minutes at Ray's. The fork twisted like a noodle in the breeze. It was really plush, but seriously, how can you be psyched on something that steers so badly?
there was the 130mm version which people complained about noodliness. Then there was the 100mm version in 04 and 05 which works great. I'm 210 and the flexiness is not apparent. It's about the perfect fork for a hardtail.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I always heard the Shiver SC was really flexy...
It was, I had one. It was F-ing flexy.

If you think the shiver DC is flexy (I had one, it was ok, some people think it's alright, some don't), the SC version is MANY TIMES more flexy.

Maybe the 100mm version of the shiver SC isn't too bad, and fore-aft it's going to be ok due to the large uppers, but torsion is crap. I had the longer travel (125mm?) version. You can watch the entire wheel pull in one direction (significantly) when you hit the front brake, you become afraid of rock-gardens because the fork is going to go "where it wants", not where you want to go. Off-camber stuff is terrible and causes it to bind.

The action was real nice, but not really any nicer than any conventional open-bath marzocchi of the same travel. I think in those years they were making the Z1 FR, 5 and 6" versions. Those would be the forks to get (with similer travel). They were nice and solid, simple, etc. Some of the Shiver SCs used the ECC (like ETA, but only a lock-down with no travel, so it locked "out" as well), and it wasn't all that great. ETA is far better for climbing.

You could kind of argue that "flexieness" is blown out of proportion with the shiver DC, but if you're talking about the shiver SC, it's many times worse. Not having that 2nd crown is a huge detriment, and there's just no good reason for an inverted SC fork. It's an inefficient structure that requires MORE metal and material to even approach the torsional stiffness of a conventional design. The two reasons to go inverted for DC forks are bushing overlap for long-travel and fore-aft strength (think big jumps). You can get around the 2nd "advantage" by simply using bigger stanchions on a conventional fork, and with mtb-travel topping out at around 8", there isn't much of a bushing-overlap reason to go inverted, even for DC forks.

I know they are for different purposes, but if I was forced to choose between a DH bike with the shiver DC and a AM-type bike with a shiver SC, I'd take the DC version every day and sunday. The DC makes that much of a difference, even though it still ends up flexier than a similer conventional fork.

Last edited:

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
The action was real nice, but not really any nicer than any conventional open-bath marzocchi of the same travel. I think in those years they were making the Z1 FR, 5 and 6" versions.
I owned two Z1s ('00, 03') and a Shiver SC of that era and the Shiver SC was by far my favorite. Go figure.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I owned two Z1s ('00, 03') and a Shiver SC of that era and the Shiver SC was by far my favorite. Go figure.
Well, the 00 had that compression cart and adjuster right? That killed the action and several people ended up drilling those carts out to increase the oil flow. When I hit stuff straight-on the shiver SC was butter, but it was enough of a detriment when I didn't hit stuff "straight-on".

Monkey
Well, the 00 had that compression cart and adjuster right? That killed the action and several people ended up drilling those carts out to increase the oil flow. When I hit stuff straight-on the shiver SC was butter, but it was enough of a detriment when I didn't hit stuff "straight-on".
the 03 Z1 FR was the one with ETA, HSCV, 32mm stancion ,etc, no?

I owned a 01 Z1 FR prior to the Shiver SC and it was night and day when I switched to the Shiver. Now I have an 04 Z1(must...find...lower...), an 03 Z1(again, must, find, new, lower with 20mm dropout), and an 07 Z1 and the Shiver isn't flexy in too apparent of a way(in the 100mm variant). Maybe I'm just not gnar enough.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
the 03 Z1 FR was the one with ETA, HSCV, 32mm stancion ,etc, no?

I owned a 01 Z1 FR prior to the Shiver SC and it was night and day when I switched to the Shiver. Now I have an 04 Z1(must...find...lower...), an 03 Z1(again, must, find, new, lower with 20mm dropout), and an 07 Z1 and the Shiver isn't flexy in too apparent of a way(in the 100mm variant). Maybe I'm just not gnar enough.
Well, I agree with ohio that it was pure-butter when hitting certain impacts, but it was just too specialized due to the flex, if you hit off camber the control suffered, and if hard enough, it wasn't nearly as plush as if you'd hit it more "square". The constantly-lubed stanchions help IMO. It's a solution looking for a problem though. As we go to bigger and bigger stachions on conventional forks I guess you reach a size where it's difficult to lubricate them without a lot of extra weight or complexity.