Quantcast

singlespeed tires

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
2.3" Tioga DH front & rear.
They are a must have for me.That's all the traction & suspension i got !

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
clancy98 said:
wow I can't believe this is a thread.
what's the matter? I'm sorry to bother you with my ignorance, but I'm building up my first single speed and I'm a little curious as to what size tires others are running.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Crazy Sweeper said:
what's the matter? I'm sorry to bother you with my ignorance, but I'm building up my first single speed and I'm a little curious as to what size tires others are running.
Don't feed the troll...

mikeG

Chimp
Nov 14, 2004
Menlo Park, CA
2.35 Maxxis Minion "Super Tacky" up front
2.0 Maxxis Larson 60A in the rear

I have running this combo and it works great. Both are single ply sidewalls

Good Luck...

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Perhaps the thread should read what tires do you run? Since tires are not singlespeed specific....

Continental Vertical Pro's.. Lot's of air volume, reasonably light, great in all conditions...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Velociraptor 2.1, front and rear. Why? They were free! I want to find some old school Ritchey SpeedMax ( 1.9 rear, 2.1 front) to roll on next season.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Leethal said:
Perhaps the thread should read what tires do you run? Since tires are not singlespeed specific....

Continental Vertical Pro's.. Lot's of air volume, reasonably light, great in all conditions...
No, tires are not SS specific, but you would probably choose a different tire for a SS bike than for a full squish 10" travel monster hucker.

I agree with you on the Conti Vertical Pros. Nice tires. I need to move mine over from my squish and help out with the rocks around here. Currently running Conti Explorer/Escape, both 2.1. Great on the smooth stuff, rough on the rocks and roots.

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC, Canadistan
mtnbikej said:
I ran a 2.7" Maxxis Mobster on the front of my Surly(rigid) and 2.2 Michelin Hot S on the rear.

mtnbikej
For light(er) tires I was running the 2.2 Hot S with a 2.35 folding bead IRC Kujo (old tire). The front was meh, but the 2.2 Hot S has wicked traction as a rear tire. I'd combine it with anything on a Single Speed.

Running DH casings now. I use a 2.5 Maxxis Highroller (Sticky in the wet, regular in the dry) in the rear and a 2.7 Mobster up front and they offer a good combitantion of traction vx. rolling resistance. they are actually a lot skinnier then most peoples 2.5s... about the same size as my 2.3 Nokians.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Just about anything 2.25 and up. I ride a full rigid SS. I like the Panaracer Fire 2.4 FR up front and WTB Motoraptor 2.24 in the back. About 25/30 psi respectively. I think I am going to put a 2.25 Panaracer Cinder up front and go back to a Panarcer Fire XC 2.1 in back. I am going through a tough time in my life where I need to lose weight.
Other considerations (weight not as much a priority):
WTB Timberwolfs 2.3/2.5/2.7 (the 2.7s look like the cats a$$, very moto looking).
Weirwolfs 2.5 (I have heard they are squirrly in the hard pack)
Kenda Nevegals 2.35 (sticky)
Kenda Cortez