Quantcast

sinister help - splinter ER

krev2_1

Chimp
Sep 2, 2008
Pro land
Hi

dont usually frequent this site, however I am in need of some advice on a topic that the UK forums can not answer.

I recently purchased a second hand sinister splinter ER frame.

exactly like this one

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10554

however it did not come with a manual.

I need to remove the pull rod as it has a small amount of play in it (similar feel to what worn bushes in a shock feel like). From the limited stuff I have read on this frame it has a bush inside the pullrod which I suspect I need to change. But I have no idea how to take this pull rod off.

Info on this bike seems to be super rare, but I know there are a few people on here who have owned one or the bigger splinter MX. so can you help?? I have tried the sinister forum but for some reason I can not get verified and they probably wont be recieving my questions.

Can anybody help??

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
First off, congratulations on getting one of the nicest and rarest bikes on the market. I love the hell out of my MX.

The very first thing to do is to check to see that both lock rings on the pull rod are tight. Do this often - I often check mine mid-ride - as it is possible for them to vibrate loose. When they come loose, it can feel exactly as you describe. 9/10 that will solve the problem. Another possibility is that the bushings for the shock are worn. This is a cheap and easy fix that any shop should be able to take care of in a matter of minutes as it is no different than on any other bike. If that does not work, the shock itself might be topping out. I had a 5th that did this until it got replaced.

Also check to be sure the pivot bolts are tight. You will need to remove the driveside crank arm to do this properly. If the main pivot comes loose, you can crack the frame due to the additional tortional stress. Trust me, it will feel flexy if a pivot bolt is loose. Since the frame has excellent lateral rigidity otherwise, this should be pretty obvious.

Disassembly should be a last resort, but it is relatively straight forward. I have not done a full tear down, but it should be just a matter of removing all the hardware.

krev2_1

Chimp
Sep 2, 2008
Pro land
Rigidhack... thanks for getting back to my post. much appreciated. yep I realy like the bike, bought it for xc duties and it works a treat if a little on the heavy side and I have never seen another one out on the trails.

I have replaced the 5th with a fox unit as spares for the 5th are hard to come by. In changing the shock I replaced all the shock hardware. So I can rule this out as the source of play.

Im not sure if my frame has these lock rings. the top half of the pull rod seems to be fixed to the linkage via some bearings and probably some sort of pin.

The lower half of the pull rod (this is where I can feel the play) just has some sort of pin and a grease port.

Do the pins need pressing out?? are they threaded?? what do the lock rings look like??

thanks again

JK

krev2_1

Chimp
Sep 2, 2008
Pro land
JonKranked.

thanks for the reply, but for some reason I cant get joined up on the forum. I fill in my details and submit a request to join but never get the joining e-mail. I have also tried to send them questions via the website to no avail.

If any one has a log on to the forum perhaps they can point someone on there to this thread for me please.

cheers again

JK

krev2_1

Chimp
Sep 2, 2008
Pro land
If any one from Sinister is reading this...I would like to add that in no way I think its poor customer relations. I have read the forum and seen the good work you do, above and beyond a lot of other much larger bike companies. It is probably a problem with my e-mail account. I will try to set up another account and try sending you details from that.

unissamog

Chimp
Nov 12, 2005
I spent a while re-building these, so let's see what we can do....

The pull rod is held in at the top by a pin that is pressed into the bearings in the rocker plate. The bottom pin on the pullrod should come out, it is held by a set screw on the bottom piece of the pull rod, and the pinch bolts on the swingarm. Depending on the swingarm version you have there may also be set screws there to hold the pin. Once everything is loosened up, you should be able to tap the pin out. There will be some spacer washers on the pin between the base of the pullrod and the swingarm.

The Lock rings that were mentioned are in the pullrod. The pullrod has 5 pieces, top and bottom, the center that is either knurled with some holes, or has an outer hex pattern, and the two lock nuts (rings) that are used to keep the adjustment from changing.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask, and I will do my best to answer. I can take pics of my MX and make notes on them if you need.

krev2_1

Chimp
Sep 2, 2008
Pro land
Unissamog. Thanks for the reply.

I have now managed to get it off and am in the process of replacing all the things that need replacing.

All of it possible from some awesome instructios from the man himself ftw.

Thanks all for your help and pointers.