Quantcast

Six Flags Unveils Plans For Fastest, Tallest Roller Coaster

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Six Flags Unveils Plans For Fastest, Tallest Roller Coaster
wftv | 29-Sept-2004

JACKSON, N.J. -- Six Flags Great Adventure is opening the world's tallest and fastest roller coaster this spring -- a thrill ride that accelerates to 128 mph in 3.5 seconds and rises 456 feet off the ground.

Plans for Kingda Ka, which is expected to be the cornerstone of new development at the central New Jersey amusement park, were to be unveiled Wednesday.

The current speed and height record holder is "Top Thrill Dragster" at Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio. Made by Intamin -- the same company Six Flags hired to build Kingda Ka -- Dragster shoots riders to 120 mph in 4 seconds and takes them to a height of 420 feet.

An animated depiction of Kingda Ka shows the coaster creeping slowly, stopping and then launching forward horizontally at nearly 130 mph before climbing at a 90-degree angle more than 45 stories above the park.

The coaster then spirals 270 degrees as it plummets, flattens out and climbs again as it shoots over a 129-foot hill, which the company says will make riders feel weightless. It's over in about 50 seconds.

"This is the first step in a process of really transforming Six Flags Great Adventure from the largest regional theme park in the world to a true regional destination," Kieran Burke, chief executive officer of Oklahoma City-based Six Flags, told The Associated Press.

Six Flags last year had 35 million visitors at 31 parks. In July, it reported a 3.3 percent attendance drop compared with last year.

Duane Marden, 35, a Brookfield, Wis., computer programmer who runs the online Roller Coaster Data Base, has ridden the Ohio coaster twice and calls it "a very intense experience." He expects the one in New Jersey to quickly become popular with enthusiasts.

"Anybody on the East Coast who is into roller coasters is going to be on this ride very soon," he said.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Bahaha

cedar point:

Due to rider restraint system requirements, guests of exceptional size may not be accommodated on some of our rides. This may apply, but not be limited to, males who exceed 6’2”, and those who exceed 225 pounds, have a 40” waistline or 52” chest or females who exceed 200 pounds or wear size 18 or larger. Each person has different body proportions, so it is impossible to determine exact size and weight

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I was at that 6 flags just this past Saturday, and the rides they have already are AWESOME. The nitro or whatever it may be called... is the bestest ever!!!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
golgiaparatus said:
Cedar point will ALWAYS be better than Six Flags.
We went to CP one year early in the AM in the off season... it was SWEET. We rode all the coasters twice before there were even small lines forming :thumb:
when was the last time you were at 6 flags - NJ?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
douglas said:
when was the last time you were at 6 flags - NJ?
Good point. I have never been, but the six flags over texas pales in comparison to CP... I just checked the NJ, SF site and it does look pretty badass... still, cedar point has so many badass coasters, I cant even remember them all, and they have like 4 more since I have been.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
golgiaparatus said:
Good point. I have never been, but the six flags over texas pales in comparison to CP... I just checked the NJ, SF site and it does look pretty badass... still, cedar point has so many badass coasters, I cant even remember them all, and they have like 4 more since I have been.
I've not been to SF NJ either, but have been to SF St. Louis, the SF near Chicago, the SF in Kansas City, and SF in Denver. They're all fun, but indeed *pale* in comparison to Cedar Point. If you like coasters, CP is *the* place to go ride...... YMMV.

-S.S.-

cedar point and six flags keep "one upping" each other. This new coaster is made by the same people that made the one at CP and its like 8 mph faster and only a few feet higher.

Six flags NITRO is based on the Six Flags MA's Superman. Someone fell out of the restraints early in the season from Superman which is why they now have that disclaimer about size - the man was too large for the restraints to work properly.

Although I've never been to CP, I am a rollercoaster junkie.

Who's ridden HULK at Universal? How about Volcano at Kings Dominion, VA? Two of the greastest coasters I've ridden!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
MtnBikerChk said:
cedar point and six flags keep "one upping" each other. This new coaster is made by the same people that made the one at CP and its like 8 mph faster and only a few feet higher.

Six flags NITRO is based on the Six Flags MA's Superman. Someone fell out of the restraints early in the season from Superman which is why they now have that disclaimer about size - the man was too large for the restraints to work properly.

Although I've never been to CP, I am a rollercoaster junkie.

Who's ridden HULK at Universal? How about Volcano at Kings Dominion, VA? Two of the greastest coasters I've ridden!
CP = rollercoaster overload

When I went I rode the 5 baddest coasters I have ever ridden just in the first 20 minutes, and we werent even 1/4 of the way through the park yet.
Also, CP is the only place that has ever had a ride that made me scream like a girl (it was awesome).

I'm a coaster junkie too, CP is the place to go.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I love how everyone is always trying to keep up with cedar point. I went there when they had the tallest steel, and tallest wooden coasters. I need to get back.

They still have:

Tallest steel,
first inverted,
first double corkskrew,
one of the oldest,
one of the tallest wooden,
Tallest out and back (I think)

They used to hold:
The title for everything else. (tallest inverted, most loops, tallest stand up, fastest)

If you are serious about coasters, you need to go, there is no substitute. I've been to GA and it was ok, but nothing spectacular. CP is the place to be.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
I've been to many parks but Cedar Point tops them all. I may be baised seeing as I only live 45mins away and go a couple times a year. If you haven't been on Top Thrill Dragster, The Magnum or Mellenium force and you're a coaster junkie you simply must ride those three. They're simply awesome. Not to mention all the old wooden coasters they have. Cedar Point rocks, it's that simple.

Loopie

Chimp
Nov 9, 2002
kamLOOPs, BC
Funny thing though...they'll do the exact same thing everytime.
A wicked rush the first time...but a true one hit wonder by all definitions thereafter.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I thought it looked very cool... even the virtual ride brought a smile to my face. However, I was disappointed that it was so short... you go up once, and down once - that's it.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
MMcG said:
Some poor fackers going to get on one of these ultra fast coasters and have a heart attack! Hell it's probably already happened a bunch of times.

I read an article on this woman who sustained brain damage and spinal cord damage on one of those roller coasters, and it's apparently happening quite a bit. She wasn't fat or anything...she was in her early 30's maybe?

The older I get, the less I enjoy rides like that...they whip you around so hard. I LOVE the old skool wooden coasters, and some of these twisty crazy ones, but man...some of those cork screw turns, your heads banging between the restraints...I dunno...pretty scary looking ride though...I think I would be weak in the knees after that...