Quantcast

size of bike??

tmtrebor

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
I am about to buy my first freeride bike. I have it narrowed down to either the Kona stinky, Specialized XT or Bighit (I think those are what the guy at the store told me). I am 5'10 and around 165 lbs. Since none of the stores around here carry these "high end" bikes in their inventory, I was wondering what size I should buy. I was thinking medium on the Stinky and am not sure on the specialized. I did ride a 18 inch Kona "Dawg" to get a rough estimate, but it felt huge and I didn't feel like I could hit jumps very well... Any info would help out a lot... thanks!

Mar 1, 2008
Usually, the co.'s website has a sizing chart for specific height ranges.

Edit: I'm 5'6" I ride a 2006 Transition Dirtbag size small frame.

Top Tube (Effective) 21.2"
Top Tube (Actual) 20.5"
Seat Tube (center to top) 16"
Head Tube Angle 66.75°
Seat Tube Angle 72.7°
ChainStay Length 17.3"
Bottom Bracket Height 14.5"
Standover 29.2"
Wheelbase 43.3"
Head Tube Length 4.725"

Personally: I think it could be a bit smaller-ish. Standover could be a bit lower (since I'm short) and my riding is more DH-oriented than FR/hucking.

My set-up:

Really, I shouldn't be complaining since I'm using a FR-oriented frame for DHing. A true DH race frame would be much slacker and longer, not to mention lower over all (BB, standover, headtube, etc). But what can I say? I'm still in school, can't afford a DH AND FR frame, and I think my set-up does fine for me right at the moment. I will be in the market for a DH-race frame for next season (discounted 2008 Sunday?????).

Last edited:

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
dude, if you get a chance to get on a stinky then don't go by the size chart. my friend has an xl and it fits like specialized' sxtrail medium.

tmtrebor

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
Usually, the co.'s website has a sizing chart for specific height ranges.
right. I've checked this and was talking with the guy at the shop, as this will be my first freeride bike, that you want something a little smaller. I can see how this would have a benefit with jumps, but a guy at the other store I went to told me to get an XL. Since I cannot ride either bike, and dont want to waste money on a bike that's too large or small, I was wondering what size you guys ride on the same / similar bike.