Quantcast

Skookie sick :(

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey monkey pals.

i really wasn't going to bother, but there are quite a few of you that i've shared a good laugh with on the site, and some a few rides and burgers even. Some of you are on my FB but those who aren't should know as i learned today, i'm going in for surgery for testicular cancer.
It's been a whirlwind that's for sure. Tomorrow a quick ride out at another skills park in the Seattle area our club Evergreen has been working on called Duthie Hill. Goin with some pals it should be fun, gettin out there in the woods and enjoy a nice ride. It might be a while before i can get back in the saddle. Goin in for surgery Friday.
The good news is that for Cancer it's got a real good survival rate. i've got some good support from some cool people, and i'm getting good feedback from other survivors already. All the same if ya could bring in some healin vibes, and get out there and ride your mt. bike.:):)

Tim

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Hey man,
Good luck with all of that.
From the limited sample size I can think of, cyclists that come down with testicular cancer often bounce back to win multiple tours of france.

Seriously, I hope everything goes well.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Heal up soon monkey.

Personally, I know a pair of identical twins who both came down with testicular cancer in their late teens. The two of them have made complete and full recoveries, and are cancer-free nearly 10 after.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Thats ****ty. I am sure everything will go ok. I feel for you and what your going through. About six weeks before I got married, during a routine physical, they found what they thought could have been Testicular cancer with me as well....Had it removed, turned out to be a benign solid mass. Hurt like hell, but it was managable, also much ebtter off knowing I didnt take teh risk.

Heal up fast, get back on the bike, life moves on.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Tim!

Not an easy thing to talk about - but so glad you did. I will be remembering you in prayer, and hoping your recovery is quick and complete.

Please keep us updated with your progress. Hopefully you have someone wonderful to bring you soothing broth while you are in the hospital, and who can text message you at 2am when you can't sleep (yeah, I've been there).

Your attitude is everything, and no matter how it may look at times, you ARE in control of your own destiny, every minute you choose to suck the marrow out of the bones of life (to thoroughly butcher Thoreau...). With your ride tomorrow, it sounds like you are doing just that. :)

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

-sunny

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Bummer. Not the first thread I hoped to click on today. Whether you believe in hopes and prayers, I do, and will do my best to help.

I know I can't do much, but if there is anything you need, please let me know.

Stay strong, daddio.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
WOW, get well soon skooks! Keep your spirits up, we are pulling for you!

PS, got a chance to ride Collannade when I was out there this summer, well done sir! WELL DONE!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Good luck, Skooks. Luck has only partly to do with it, but I'm sure you're already covering all the rest of the fight - so luck is all I can offer!

Most importantly, though, enjoy your ride. :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Tim!

Not an easy thing to talk about - but so glad you did. I will be remembering you in prayer, and hoping your recovery is quick and complete.

Please keep us updated with your progress. Hopefully you have someone wonderful to bring you soothing broth while you are in the hospital, and who can text message you at 2am when you can't sleep (yeah, I've been there).

Your attitude is everything, and no matter how it may look at times, you ARE in control of your own destiny, every minute you choose to suck the marrow out of the bones of life (to thoroughly butcher Thoreau...). With your ride tomorrow, it sounds like you are doing just that. :)

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

-sunny

Sunny always knows just what to say!

Best wishes to you Tim. If you keep youself positive, things will be okay! Take care and I'm sending lots of healing vibes your way!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey Skooks, sounds like you have found the culprit early w/ an excellent outlook on recovery. enjoy your ride, and best wishes for a fast and effective outcome.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
In June of '06 you helped me kick off my first visit to WA with an awesome ride up Ranger Creek and down Palisaides. It was literally my first "big mountain" ride, and it'll be ingrained in my memory forever. A picture you took of me on the cliffs is framed on the wall in my dining room. I'm sending you all the well wishes and positive vibes I can muster up from the Right Coast, you're a generous top-notch kinda guy and a standout in the MTB community.

From the limited sample size I can think of, cyclists that come down with testicular cancer often bounce back to win multiple tours of france.
:D

Tru dat...
When you are skookum, you've got a purpose and you're on solid ground, in good health/spirits etc. When used in reference to another person, e.g. "he's skookum", it's used in respect with connotations of trustworthiness, reliability and honesty as well as (possibly but not necessarily) strength and size.
-Nate-

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Good to see you have mental energy to share with us. I read a long article yesterday about Brian Holm sports director for Columbia-HTC who went through cancer treatment two years ago. He wrote a book about his experience and one of his main points was even though it was not his intentions it was a life changing experience for him. I wish you the best of luck with your journey.