Quantcast

Skookum Flats suspension bridge no more

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
i wouldn't be suprised if it's totally washed out in many spots.
Bummer man. Heard you all have been getting some wetter than normal weather lately. Crazy to think the water raised that high though.

We had some serious floods around southern NY this year too.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Bummer man. Heard you all have been getting some wetter than normal weather lately. Crazy to think the water raised that high though.
No doubt, at least you got to ride it while you were down here. The first time riding that bridge is always the funnest since it moved around and you're so exposed.

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
Yeah, went to check out my cabin today and see what the damages may be. The bridge is gone (pictures to follow).
Looks like a couple trees took it out, not the river. The opposite side appears to have washed out though. Can only guess that a few other places of the trail have washed out as well.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yeah, went to check out my cabin today and see what the damages may be. The bridge is gone (pictures to follow).
Looks like a couple trees took it out, not the river. The opposite side appears to have washed out though. Can only guess that a few other places of the trail have washed out as well.
Wow thanks for the update. There was alot of questions on if the cable supports were still up, but it's obvious even by your little pic that it's completely toast.

By the way you can post a bigger pic by changing it from a bmp. to a .jpg file. .bmp files take up alot of bytes...

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
No doubt, at least you got to ride it while you were down here. The first time riding that bridge is always the funnest since it moved around and you're so exposed.
Ha, that's about right. I started across, reached down for the "railing", and that's when I realized the whole bridge moved! If I recall correctly, you then sent me back over to do it again for a picture...ah, good times. Twas a nice bridge...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Every so often that trail get's gobbled up by the river in sections. Just the way a river is, but yah with that huge douche we had that day was like a once in a lifetime rain day.

There's alot of talk by BBTC'ers to get out there in the Spring and Summer and do some work. Anyone interested just check the board when the time comes.

www.bbtc.org

Earlier the club was out there helping clear trail, was good times.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151808&highlight=big+buckin+skookum

And i was talking around with Eric who raised a pretty good point. That bridge was access to that trail for the kids at Camp Sheppard. So maybe it will recieve some priority for a return. i suppose a call to the Forest Ranger in a month or so after they get everything sorted out will give us an answer.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Apearently I can't load a 5MB PDF file here but someone emailed me a PDf File that is 47 pages and shows a lot of the carange from around Mt. Rainier NP.
Skooks, PM you email and I will send it to you.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Apearently I can't load a 5MB PDF file here but someone emailed me a PDf File that is 47 pages and shows a lot of the carange from around Mt. Rainier NP.
Skooks, PM you email and I will send it to you.
Yah i have seen that stuff.

http://home.comcast.net/~tbanning/targus2.jpg

Most of the damage is in the actual Park itself and not in the forest area where we can ride. Personally i haven't been inside the park since they started charging anyways.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
DUUUDE the bridge was juust on komo 4 news, it had a pictuire of it with an xc rider on it, then a pic of it now, with a huuuge log owning it.
Huuuuuge logs do have "owning" capabilities....

Did they say anything about it or were they just talking about stuff that got destroyed.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i caught the last second of it, but they were talking about what it was used for and ity had access to bike trails and ish
Hmm interesting it made the news. There are alot of people that use the area though, there's a church camp and a regular kids camp there, free campground, airstrip, mt. bikers, hikers, horses, motorbikes.
So i guess i shouldn't be "too" suprised it made a news snippet on the tube.