Quantcast

Slalom Course in Gainesville Florida

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
We are building a slalom course at the rock trail in Gainesville. We will be building primarily on the weekends between now and a collegiate race that will be hosted on 9/18. Let me know if you are interested in helping us build the course. The more people we have digging, the better the course will be.

FloridaFish

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009
Whhaaaaaatt?? That's awesome, is it gonna be on the hill sloping down from the house/compound?

and what's this about hosting a collegiate race? at the Rock Trail or over at Hailes Trails?

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
We flagged out the course today. Still trying to decide between DS, 4x or maybe even a 2x. We are trying to get a rental bobcat donated. After we get a bobcat out there we could really use some help shoveling and riding the course in.

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard
go dual slalom. 4x courses are really hard to upkeep if you don't have a large group of riders on them on a weekly basis. after a month it'll become a 1 cross. its also really hard to make a 4x course that offers actual passing oppurtunities. One of the few ive seen that worked was this years natl champs course but i doubt yall have the heavy equipment to do something like that, few folks do. a dual course will be much easier to build and maintain and more fun for all skill levels of people to ride.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Well said Dan! and your not even oldschool hahaha.... You would have loved the old days of true dual slalom though!

Dual Slalom is one of the most unique sports in the world. The best competition is had with two separate lanes all the way down. It is pretty necessary to have proper timing equipment to make it best but, the fact that you can race someone down the whole course without them blocking makes for some nail biting competition all the way to the finish. Then come back up and switch lanes to decide the winner. No excuses just the fastest man or woman wins!

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
We have gotten a lot done on the course. We have the top half of the course done with some stuff finished in the bottom half. Right now it is a big "Y" (dual at the top, then merges into one). We may make it dual all the way down, depending on how much more time we get with the bobcat. But as of now it is awesome. The courses merge at a big stepdown (about a 20' gap). The course is extremely fast. Pics to come soon.

As it stands now:
Gate
Left 90 degree birm
Rythym (roller, table, roller)
*maybe put in a double after the rythym
110 degree right birm
big step down
slight right
double/step up
left then right S-turn
stepdown
*big double/table

items with * are not built yet

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Here are some pictures from a few days ago. Everything is smoother now and a lot faster. A few of the jumps have been shortened a little. Also, the jumps will probably be built up to be a little taller before all is said and done

Stepdown:

Rhythm feature:

Long double. It has since been shortened. The lip will be built up pretty big and this will be a step-up.

A birm:

dblgoose

Chimp
Jun 1, 2009
Here's some more pictures of the course's progress, and some action shots:

Out of the start gate,

into long straight and rhythm section (there will prob be another one or two features on this straight)

after the straight, two right hand berms(this is looking back up the hill from the step down). These are the 110 deg berms Brandon mentioned above.

Action shots:
first berm out of start gate:

onto the rhythm section:

off the rhythm section:

the step down:

The course is coming along great I'd say! We are hoping for another Bobcat rental this weekend in which we could finish the rest of the course with.

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
I rode the course today. It is awesome. Really fast plus lots of jumps.

The "Y" format is going to make for some fun racing. Sorry we couldn't make it dual the entire way for all of you DS purists. It will be exciting though. Some time apart to test your skills, then the course merges over the big step-down just before a huge birm and tests out your ability to take over a race and hold your lines.

Should be a good time and a great race.

For anyone in Gainesville, we should be riding Wednesday evening.

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard
looks good dude, im coming down end of the month for some offshore fishing with the old man, ill make sure to bring a bike and coming ride for a day.

Bog Dogs

Chimp
Jul 20, 2010
Grove City, FL, USA
Good job on the course. I just watched the videos. I'm moving to FL in a month and was glad to see some gravity junkies making the most of the Sunshine State. If it is kept up I'd love to try it over the winter.

therareform

Chimp
Sep 25, 2010
Gainesville, FL
The new addition is great, but folks we have issues. The jumps are larger than agreed and the holes made from getting the dirt are not filled in. If anyone wants to help correct this please send me a message. Also after talking to one of the directors and the pastor it seems someone had a fire there the other night and did not properly put it out. Please be responsible, I do not want to lose the ability to ride here but the church can shut it down anytime. Please send a message if you want to help, myself and some other riders have been redoing some of the ramps and a small ladder course and we are planning more. The more help we get the better we can make it.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I'd help but I'm a couple hours away. Is this a public course though? If I came and visited some friends would I be able to ride it?

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Yes, anyone can ride at the Rock. Hopefully it will always be that way.
Awesome! I think I'm the farthest south member on here. There has been a new trail opened up here in Mt. Dora. I rode it the yesterday and there is a nice open downhill section with some trees here and there. This thread has given me some inspiration to start building some sort of DS course in that area. Keep up the good work. :thumb:

Last edited:

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
Awesome! I think I'm the farthest south member on here. There has been a new trail opened up here in Mt. Dora. I rode it the yesterday and there is a nice open downhill section with some trees here and there. This thread has given me some inspiration to start building some sort of DS course in that area. Keep up the good work. :thumb:
Actually I may be the furthest southern member here. I live over here in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area. Anyways, i have been following this slalom track in Gainesville and have a few friends that have been working on the course and riding it as well. I can't wait to get my arse up that way and make my presence on that track. You guys are doing a great job on it, and hope no one ruins it with the church land owners, especially with the garbage and open fires. I also have to get up there and try out that Mt. Dora trail along with the Orlando MTB Parl when built. :thumb:

therareform

Chimp
Sep 25, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Someone has had a motocycle on the slalom course. The rain did enough damage, a motorcycle will destroy it. Please keep an eye out for anyone mistreating the property please. Let us all be respectful and hold each other accountable. Thanks

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
Ha, I'm in Loxahatchee, but work in Miami beach. There are a bunch of guys from FRS that check this site every once and a while. It woundn't suprise me to see someone from Key WEst.
Hey man, have you rode the GFT in the Palm Bay/Melbourne area. I think I have ran into you before. I know you are all over FRS.

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
Someone has had a motocycle on the slalom course. The rain did enough damage, a motorcycle will destroy it. Please keep an eye out for anyone mistreating the property please. Let us all be respectful and hold each other accountable. Thanks
LOL! You over here as well rareform. Cool! Have you met up with Arron (GALAXY) over from Singletracks yet? He is a cool dude. I have rode with him quite a few times at Santos and in Gainesville.

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
You say this every time! I've never ridden there and I'm not on FRS... yet.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I am a bit confused here. I did not ask you CurbJumper, I asked OffCamber that question (as originally quoted below), so I am not sure what you mean about "me saying this every time".

Originally Posted by OffCamber...
Ha, I'm in Loxahatchee, but work in Miami beach. There are a bunch of guys from FRS that check this site every once and a while. It woundn't suprise me to see someone from Key WEst.

Hey man, have you rode the GFT in the Palm Bay/Melbourne area. I think I have ran into you before. I know you are all over FRS.

Last edited:

therareform

Chimp
Sep 25, 2010
Gainesville, FL
LOL! You over here as well rareform. Cool! Have you met up with Arron (GALAXY) over from Singletracks yet? He is a cool dude. I have rode with him quite a few times at Santos and in Gainesville.
Yep, trying to get the word out. Let me know when in October you can come up. Yes finally met Galaxy in person last Monday, when I knocked myself out!! Probably will meet with him this Monday too. Hope to meet you soon at the Rock!!

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I am a bit confused here. I did not ask you CurbJumper, I asked OffCamber that question (as originally quoted below), so I am not sure what you mean about "me saying this every time".

Sorry, I was reading quickly and wasn't paying much attention. You asked me a similar question on MTBR though.

FloridaFish

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009
All good bro, I figured you would pop chime in sooner or later. How is the FLFish doing these days? Goos I hope! :thumb:
not good, works a bitch and I haven't ridden a single pedal stroke in 3 and a half weeks, hoping to get out on a road trip and hit some north florida riding at some point.... feelin the itch.

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
not good, works a bitch and I haven't ridden a single pedal stroke in 3 and a half weeks, hoping to get out on a road trip and hit some north florida riding at some point.... feelin the itch.
Damn, what a BUMMER! Yeah man, i feel ya there. After my crash off one of the drops on the GFT, I have been down due to screwing up my left knee and hip. Feeling better, but still not there yet. Bike had to go in the shop for a bit of repair after the crash. Hopefully in two weeks I will be back up and having a blast again. :D

FloridaFish

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009
Damn, what a BUMMER! Yeah man, i feel ya there. After my crash off one of the drops on the GFT, I have been down due to screwing up my left knee and hip. Feeling better, but still not there yet. Bike had to go in the shop for a bit of repair after the crash. Hopefully in two weeks I will be back up and having a blast again. :D
so did you do that off the big one near the canal bank?

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
so did you do that off the big one near the canal bank?
Yeah man, that was it. They have another one just past that one now. The GFT is looking up again and starting to flow again, well, as long as Tillman leaves it alone. Still needs much work and TLC, but definitely looking up once more.