Quantcast

slipping stem

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I have an old (maybe y2k) Race Face SYStem DH that has probably been mounted on 3 or 4 different forks. The steer tube clamp has recently started to slip very easily, no matter how tight the bolts are. Does this mean it's time for a new stem? If not, what can I do to fix this problem?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I'd start by taking the whole thing apart (remove clamp bolts and slide out cam piece) and giving it a thorough cleaning. The cam piece will probobly be stuck in pretty good because of dirt.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
That's a pretty old stem. If its been ridden hard and/or under big riders I would retire the part. Particularly if it doesn't hold anymore. Stems are pretty darn simple. If it doesn't clamp, its toast. There's no cam in that stem. Its a "c" clamp which pulls the extension against the steer tube. Sounds like its simply stretched and is bottoming out before it can clamp. Might have been overtightened. I think 70inch pounds is the torque setting?? Maybe 80ip. Can't remember but its not that tight. Doesn't need to be.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Riding a bike with the headset loose is a good and quick way to ovalise a headtube.

It's not very clever to risk wrecking your frame for the price of a new stem.