Quantcast

Slopestyle bikes

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
Hey just wondering what slopestyle bikes you guys would suggest. I have looked at the bottlerocket that too much $ for me. Some suggestions would be great.

Thanks

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
get a hardtail if you can't afford a bottle rocket. there are lots of pro signature hard tails for completes and lots of good fr hardtails from frame makers

I would suggest the Specialized SX series....D
I would agree. My SX Trail II is the best frame I have ever ridden. Does everything well, stunts, skinnies, drops, jumps, and even pedals pretty good for those days when you just want to get in a good trail ride. My poor iron Horse Sunday just sits in the corner of the garage now that race season is over, and the SX is so much fun to ride I really don't know when I'll get back on the Sunday.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Planet X Splittail. Cheap, with lots of options.

PM Acadian, he's got one and loves it.

The Morewood is a race bike. Not a slopestyle bike. Morewood says that.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
hey, i can't find a pic of the mountain cycle battery. Can someone send me a pic. Also if possible how much is the kona cowan ds. I checked on Kona's website, didn't have it.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
Banshee Rampant, Kona Bass, Specialized SX (not the SX Trail) Transition Double, BlackMarket KillSwitch, etc.

take your pick....

for slopestyle, you want 3"-4.5" rear travel, tough / durable construction, low standover height, steeper geometry (based around 100mm fork), firmly sprung / progressive rear suspension and relatively short wheelbase for nimble handling

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
jamis parker is garbage.

the Double is a great bike and you can get good deals used. I good build weighs 30lbs. An 08 has 3.5" of travel and an 09 and up has 4" of travel. Just make sure you get version3 (mid 08) or later

The Sinister Gruitr on the short travel setting 4.5"
above 2 can be found for decent prices used.

The SX is also nice but a little long.
Banshee Rampant another nice choice but not sure what kind of price you can get on it.
Killswitch won't be out for another month and a half and won't be inexpensive either.
if you want single speed fs the Dobermann Le Pink is a very nice frame but good luck finding one.

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
just looked up the battery it is reall inexpensive but heavy as a tank
Frame Spec + Key Features:
CNC’d One-piece BB/pivot assembly, frame parts and swingarm linkage components
Continuous Cable routing
Sealed cartridge bearings throughout
Detachable dropouts for 12mm thru-axle or 135mm QR.
Weight (based on Rock Shox Monarch 2.1 shock, seat clamp and QR dropouts) = 9.90lbs

compared to a Sinister Gruitr

All 6061 aluminum construction
73 mm bottom bracket
1.125 inch head tube
4.5 or 5.5 travel (7.875 x 2.0 shock)
27.2 mm seat post
31.8 mm seat collar
2.35 tire capacity
Needle bearings to last longer and ease of maintenance
7lbs with a Fox Float R even lighter with a monarch 4.2
Air or coil shock

Last edited:

dytrdr5

Chimp
Feb 10, 2010
the Mountain cycle battery is on sale right now, you could pick one up for the price of a good hardtail. I just grabbed an orange frame with the monarch and can't wait to build it.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
the Mountain cycle battery is on sale right now, you could pick one up for the price of a good hardtail. I just grabbed an orange frame with the monarch and can't wait to build it.
Yeah too bad it is a tank. I was tempted to pick one up because they are cheap and look cool but the frame weighs as much as a dh frame :eek:

dytrdr5

Chimp
Feb 10, 2010
yeah they are a little on the heavy side, but with descent components one could build one in the mid 30lb range. I mean the transition double comes in at 7.6 lbs, you only need to save 2.3 lbs somewhere else, which can easily be done with the $900 savings.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
It is not that easy. That frame is heavier then a bottle rocket. 36-37lbs is heavy for that type of bike. My Double 1x9 weighs 30lbs with a durable build. My Sinister Gruitr is 32lbs with Fox Float 36 rc2, heavy tires and wheels, I bought that frame with a Monarch 4.2 for $500, its an 09 and is in excellent shape. I plan to get it 30 or less when I van afford a wheelset. Just have to look around and you can find a good deal.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
Another vote for the Gruitr. The bb may be a tad higher than ideal for a slopestyle rig, but it's great on the trails. Mine is about 32-33 lbs with a coil Pike. monarch, and freeride wheels/tires. Closer to 30 with the lighter wheel/tire setup.
The battery looks nice, I like the super short stays.

dytrdr5

Chimp
Feb 10, 2010
fair enough, it is a bit heavy for a slopestyle bike. Fortunately for me I got an excellent deal and don't mind lugging around a heavier bike. After all my last dually was a Karpiel so this is going to be much lighter.

dytrdr5

Chimp
Feb 10, 2010
right now its 42 lbs, I plan on using the shiver for a couple of months and then moving on to a Marzocchi dirt jumper or something else in the 4-5 inch travel range. I am in the process of building two bikes so I had to use a lot of stuff off my old ride. Once I am completely finished with this one it should be around 36-38 lbs hopefully.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
that's heavier then both my dh bikes even at 38lbs.
i really like that frame but it is way too heavy. I don't get why they made it so heavy.

I wouldn't go with a dirt jumper. Better off with a Fox or an 08 4x if you can find one

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
jamis parker is garbage.
why not add something constructive instead of a <useless> dismissive comment like that? Jamis customer service is lightyears ahead of the competition, the parker is actually an incredible value that rides really well and truthfully for a lot of guys its a great affordable way to buy a bike you can pound on. of course im arguing with a guy whos screen name is "quick neon" so im probably wasting my time :s