Quantcast

Slow computer

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
My Toshiba laptop (Vista) has gotten WAY slow, I try to keep the temp flies clean as well as defragment. Are there any programs (preferable free) that can help get it back up to speed?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My Toshiba laptop (Vista) has gotten WAY slow, I try to keep the temp flies clean as well as defragment. Are there any programs (preferable free) that can help get it back up to speed?
1) Go through the add/remove programs and uninstall anything in the list you don't use on a regular basis or that is non-essential.

2) Ccleaner - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

3) Add RAM.

4) Do regular backups and if everything seems tanked, do a fresh install and restore your files.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
defraggler is free and does a great job at doing what the Windows program should do, defrag your HDD.
all of my computers have it and i use it weekly.

have you tried defraggler?
defraggler does nothing particularly useful that the built-in Windows defragmenter doesn't. I don't understand why you'd install yet-another-app.

I have scheduled tasks which run this twice a day, one for my C: drive, one for my D: drive - don't really need to do it that often, a monthly manual defrag would be just fine.

Code:
@echo off
rem
rem Defragments logical drive specified by single parameter. Peters, 2007-09-21.
rem
set LOG_PATH="Defragment %1.log"
set COMMAND_LINE=%windir%\SYSTEM32\defrag.exe %1:
set MESSAGE_SUFFIX= defragmentation of %1: with command %COMMAND_LINE%."
set MESSAGE_START="Starting%MESSAGE_SUFFIX%
eventcreate /T INFORMATION  /SO "Defragmenter" /L APPLICATION /ID 314 /D %MESSAGE_START%
%COMMAND_LINE% >> %LOG_PATH%
set MESSAGE_FINISH="Finished%MESSAGE_SUFFIX%
eventcreate /T INFORMATION  /SO "Defragmenter" /L APPLICATION /ID 315 /D %MESSAGE_FINISH%
Logging, as it appears in the Application event log:
Code:
Event Type:	Information
Event Source:	Defragmenter
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	315
Date:		5/31/2010
Time:		8:24:07 PM
User:		N/A
Computer:	JBP20060202
Description:
Finished defragmentation of D: with command C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\defrag.exe D:

gruczniak

Chimp
Apr 25, 2008
Depends how far you want to go with that. If you suspect some malware I would really suggest trying Hijack this. The output scares at first but with the help of google you would be ok.
All the other recommendations were also very good so far. That includes win7, I just moved from vista myself (clean install).