Quantcast

Slx Vs Xt

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
Anyone run either of these 2 cranks on your bikes? Any thoughts and opinions on them? I'm a really light(5'11", 53kg(geared up)) rider and want to know if I'd be able to get away with either of these 2 cranks. I'm leaning towards the SLX, mainly because I can get the dual set up for about USD130, compared to the USD200 I'd have to pay for XTs.
I'm currently running Truvativ Holzfeller Urban cranks on my bike and would like to lighten up the bike just a tad bit.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
Do you slam pedals on rocks? If so, definitely go with the SLX w/pedal inserts. The weight difference is pretty small nearly a gram per dollar at the prices you're talking about. I'm building another bike:brows: and decided to go with the SLX's because they were significantly cheaper with out much of a weight penalty, strong where it counts.

One question though. dude, are you anorexic? I mean, seriously, <120lbs geared up at 5'11"?

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
My friend tried SLX cranks on his DJ bike for a day and within an hour the non-driveside crank arm twisted on the spindle. After some adjustments... it's working fine and is still holding up to this day.

My XT's have been going strong for a few years now, they're solid. I run them on both my little dj bike and my squishy bike. I've never had a problem with them.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
One question though. dude, are you anorexic? I mean, seriously, <120lbs geared up at 5'11"?
Nah... Just really... Slim. :biggrin: I don't know, I guess I got a really high metabolic rate. I was on prescription weight gainers for a while, but they did nowt for me. It also doesn't help that I have problems keeping still, especially after meals.

My friend tried SLX cranks on his DJ bike for a day and within an hour the non-driveside crank arm twisted on the spindle. After some adjustments... it's working fine and is still holding up to this day.
Seriously? Did he crash, or something? I pretty much will use these cranks on my one and only bike(Banshee Wildcard) that I do everything with(AM, DJ, DH, Skateparks, Commuting) and am hoping for something that would put up with these disciplines.

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
I went through the same debate last summer. I went with the slx. Shimano claims its twice as strong as XT and only 40g more. I was able to find the slx for a lot cheaper than xt as well. I haven't had any issues with mine so far.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
Well, my recommendation stays with the XT's.

They are seriously the best cranks I've ever used... They last ages.

My friend runs XT's on his Wildcard without a problem.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
^^ I would say that is a given.

The XT and SLX mount exactly the same way...same daimeter, # of teeth, same preload system. same pinch bolts and torque, on the same spindle (on the 2 ring version).

The ONLY variable in mounting the two systems is the installer.

big cal

Monkey
Nov 18, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Well shimano themselves say the SLX is stronger (i think they quote 100% stronger than Xt arms?), they are cheaper, have steel pedal inserts, and minimal weight penalty. Easy decision in my book.

I've just got some SLX and they are great.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
XTs are plenty strong, however every set I've had always eventually winds up with the pedal thread stripped out. They usually last me at least 3 seasons. I'm going to try SLXs next, because having to miss half day of riding on a road trip trying to find a place to heli coil your cranks sucks.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'm looking at cranks for my demo and want 165s- I was getting stoked on the slx, but can't find 165.. Do they even make them?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Make sure you get the dual ring SLX crankset with the bashguard - part number FC-M665 - http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/mountain/slx/product.-code-FC-M665.-type-.html

The dual ring set is the only one with steel pedal inserts.

The triple set do not have the steel inserts, and would effectively strip as easily as the XTs.

JT
MMM, Chain Reaction Cycles description of both the triple and double with bash seem to point out to a steel insert in the two models. Where did you get that info? Can't seem to find on Shimano's website neither.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Only the double comes with the steel insert.

This crankset includes a &#8220;honeycomb&#8221; bash guard, a steel pedal thread insert and is claimed to be 100% stronger than the XT crankset.
If you look at both pics, you can see threads too.

lamp

Monkey
Mar 21, 2008
I do not know if the SLX is this way as well, but the double-ring Hone cranks had a cromo spindle in addition to the inserts. The triple-ring Hones had the weaker, alu LX spindle. just something to think about.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
A slight weight gain? Arn't the SLXs about 200g more? I thought the XTs came in around the 750ish mark and the SLXs around the 950ish. Correct me if I am wrong as I am thinking about XTvsSLXvsSaint. Weight and Price are deciding factors. Why I want to change from XTs beats me as I have stomped on mine for 3 years and no problems so far. I guess I am getting concerned with all these stripped thread stories. My old XTs are getting demoted to the hardtail and the Wildcard gets all the new stuff:clapping:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
SLX is about 1000g
XT is abot 850g

Get the XT from ChainReactionCycles.com for $181. That is a crazy good price.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I think this may be missleading as the SLX weight you quote is for the dual ring model which includes a bashring.

I think the weight difference between XT and the SLX with metal inserts is less than 75g.

JT
You are right, but people on here want 2 rings and steel inserts.

I just bought an XT from ChainReactionCycles and then took off the biggest ring and added a Blackspire Lite God Bash (60g) and it weighed less than 850g. The SLX dual ring is a little bit less than 1000g. If you removed the heavy stock bash and added a light bash you would probably be around the exact XT weight, maybe just a little more.

You can compare the weights on Shimano site.
http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/mountain/deore_xt/product.-code-FC-M770.-type-fc_mountain.html

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
In reality the XT and SLX crankarms are about the same weight. The M770 has the carbon middle ring, no need to pay extra if you aren't going to run them triple and miss out on the steel inserts on the double.

for reference, from weight weenies:
SLX FC-M660 2009 175 mm 22/32/44 886 g
XT FC-M770 2008 175 mm 22/32/44 859 g
Saint FC-810 2009 170 mm 22/36/Bash 1090 g (claimed, not on WW)

All for a standard 68/73

Last edited:

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
To try and debunk the myths and rumours

SLX crankset with bb cups. This is the 2 ring version with the steel pedal inserts.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Davet
Aren't the weights listed for the XT including 3 rings? If not do you know the weight of just the BB and crank arms? I may be removing my XTs soon so maybe I will strip and weigh. If the diffence is so small I will try these puppies out.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB

So XT's weigh ~660g w/o rings (but also without the plastic BB spacer) as opposed to ~720g for the SLX's, meaning the weight difference is ~60g.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
So XT's weigh ~660g w/o rings (but also without the plastic BB spacer) as opposed to ~720g for the SLX's, meaning the weight difference is ~60g.
Missing the BB sleeve, and not sure what length those are vs the SLX's above. My bet is that they are within 30g of each other for the same length. Maybe a bit more for the version with steel inserts.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im not sure why the big debate.
The conclusion is the SLX is a little heavier and about $40-45 less. The arms are said to be stronger.
Myself, I paid the extra $45 for a little lighter crankset.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Missing the BB sleeve, and not sure what length those are vs the SLX's above. My bet is that they are within 30g of each other for the same length. Maybe a bit more for the version with steel inserts.
the pictured SLX's are 170mm and are the version with the steel inserts