Quantcast

small womens dh bike

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
My girlfriend has taken up biking in the last year. At the moment shes riding a 15" santacruz chameleon. Shes fairly small at about 5' 3". Im looking to start building up a dh bike for here. Im thinking the weight of a full on dh bike might be a bit too much for her so am thinking of more of an all mountain/light freeride bike that has a 1.5 head tube that i can put in angled reducer cups in to slacken it out. If im going new ill probably get a morewood zuza or mbuzi as i work for a morewood dealer and they will look after me but I dont really have loads of cash to go down that road. So im thinking ebay or the classifieds. So far what ive been looking at are iron horse 6 points and 7 points, intense 6.6, enduro sx trail (no 1.5 headtube), one of the newer bullits. Has anyone got any suggestions or anything i should look out for when specing a dh bike for a petite lady.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Transition Syren, setup with air shock/fork could fit the bill nicely.

Decent geo, decent size/weight for her, and the air susp would be easy to tune for her weight.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Transition Syren, setup with air shock/fork could fit the bill nicely.

Decent geo, decent size/weight for her, and the air susp would be easy to tune for her weight.
+1 This is what my gf uses for DH. Syren with a Fox 36 Float up front. She's right at 5', and loves the bike.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
the syren ticks nearly all the boxes except price. They are hard to find used and i can't get one at trade. I have looked at them as one of the girls we ride with has one and it seems to be a sweet little bike.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
While they don't make them anymore - my wife is 5'5" and loves her small VP- Free. Has a Manipoo Sherman up front - 6.6" travel - makes a pretty good geo/wheelbase for her.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Why the angle reducers and boutique brands instead of choosing a cheap bike that is slack enough to begin with? I built my Kona Stinky Six frame with Lyrik DH and other nice stuff and it's a hell of a bike to ride, XC to light DH. Kona also makes a gender specific bike using this very frame, and has loads of sizes available.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
banshee rune, ticks all the boxes. the small size is tiny, my knees hit the stem when i sit on one and i am only 5'10"

i used it for a while as a dh bike for jokes and it held up far better than i expected. my medium size frame:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My wifes DH bike. Its a small 08 SX Trail. Its 34.5 lbs with ti spring and Muddy Mary FRs, now.

Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Why the angle reducers and boutique brands instead of choosing a cheap bike that is slack enough to begin with? I built my Kona Stinky Six frame with Lyrik DH and other nice stuff and it's a hell of a bike to ride, XC to light DH. Kona also makes a gender specific bike using this very frame, and has loads of sizes available.
Well id rather get a used boutique bike than buy her a new one. If im going to buy new i work in a bike shop so im not going to buy anything that we dont sell as i can get a trade deal on something. As I said i get looked after by morewood so if im going new ill probably go with one of there offerings.

Kntr I like the sx trail one found one on ebay at the right money so it think it might be a runner

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
I'm 5'5.5, and just under 120lb.. I love my small Demo 8. Fits perfectly :)

888 up front, and a CCDB. The thing with the Double Barrel, as zahgurim pointed out with her weight and adjusting.. I basically have everything turned off on the Double Barrel, and can still barely get a proper sag with a 300lb ti.

Since she's a lil shorter than me, the Giant Glory was a little too small for me when I demo'd it.

rockdog

Chimp
Feb 6, 2009
My wife is on a syren and could not be happier. She is also 5'3" and she rides the medium, she thought the small was too small.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
a small turner dhr is the smallest real dh bike i can think of if you decided to go that route. a friend of mine is 5'4 and has one with a direct mount stem and flat bars, fits great. decently light too.
Ive ridden one of those syrens and they are awesome bikes. very fun to ride.

woodyak

Chimp
Aug 1, 2007
I might have something for you if you are interested. I have a small 2007 Knolly Delirium frame I'm looking to sell as soon as the 2010 gets shipped to me. Should fit her just right. I'm 5'5" and run a 60mm stem and my seat is set as far back as it can go. The front triangle was replaced a couple of months ago so it has barely a scratch. The bearings are in solid condition. It's currently ordered with a Vivid but I can have them change it to whatever shock/spring weight you want.

You could build it up nice and light w/o say a DHX air and a 36 Float, 5.1 rims etc. I've seen them as low as 34 lbs. with pretty solid parts. PM me if you're interested.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I don't think I'll go for a full dh bike yet as I don't think she would be able to be the boss of. Although I think full dh geometry would be great for her nice and stable and confidence inspiring. That's why I'm thinking of modding a trail/freeride bike to make it slacker. I remember a year or two ago seeing a really sweet morewood shova lt with a shorter shock to make it lower and slacker to make a really sweet womens dh bike. I have some parts knocking about so a frame only is what I'm looking for. The siren would be ideal but it's kinda out of my budget.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I'm biased, but anyone who talks to me and needs a small DH bike i sent Orange's direction. It's one of the reasons i originally started to ride for them ages ago, I needed a small bike with great geometry.

A 224 in size small is a really good fit for smaller riders. Great standover and really light and manoeuvrable to boot.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I'm biased, but anyone who talks to me and needs a small DH bike i sent Orange's direction. It's one of the reasons i originally started to ride for them ages ago, I needed a small bike with great geometry.

A 224 in size small is a really good fit for smaller riders. Great standover and really light and manoeuvrable to boot.

I have thought bout it and I've seen a 223 frame and shock going for very good money so its another one on the list. I'm a big Orange fan

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
a small turner dhr is the smallest real dh bike i can think of if you decided to go that route. a friend of mine is 5'4 and has one with a direct mount stem and flat bars, fits great. decently light too.
Ive ridden one of those syrens and they are awesome bikes. very fun to ride.
2nd this

Go-Ride are also doing a sweet deal on the last of the 09s as well in small and med left.

I kn ow you guys like to ride ya DH bikes uphill all the time.

But for women, imo ya do it right or ya scare them off, and if ya go the GR route get em to help ya dial in the sus for the lady too, what we like is often way different to what suits them, I sounded this out on a DH jump track once when the girl in question sent me the bike on a step section without the rider lol, while I sort of found it funny, I got screwed for picking up the bike at my feet first before walking uphill to help her walk down to the bike, lesson learned.

I failed that litmus test, it was not a true DH bike either and she struggled all day.

If shes ready to progress she must have some basics skills for a bigger bike, dialing is sus is key for safety and confidence, and get her well kitted out.

We so called tough guys [not me I'm a pussy] might justify to ourselves why we don't need neck braces and comfortable protection, body armor FS etc.

But do it right, if one ya care about her and if ya expect her to get into it stay with it, otherwise it maybe more of a case of what you want and she won't last long, think like her and she'll be good to go! Invest up front not if she shows promise or commitment girls brand don't work that why its opposite to us, ya have to risk it the benefits are greater, don't be tight!

Also don't make her stand out, let her buy the pink bits over time, she may not want a red flashing light on her head saying look at me until shes comfortable enough on her DH sled, rule 2 and nearly as important as rule one.

Good luck and enjoy, chicks can make riding a new experience in DH and its all good :thumb:

Go the gurls..

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
My wife rides a small Intense 951, she is 5'4" and has the post up about 7", she wants to get a medium! Small works for her, she got 5th pro at the sea otter DH on it.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
2nd this

Go-Ride are also doing a sweet deal on the last of the 09s as well in small and med left.

I kn ow you guys like to ride ya DH bikes uphill all the time.

But for women, imo ya do it right or ya scare them off, and if ya go the GR route get em to help ya dial in the sus for the lady too, what we like is often way different to what suits them, I sounded this out on a DH jump track once when the girl in question sent me the bike on a step section without the rider lol, while I sort of found it funny, I got screwed for picking up the bike at my feet first before walking uphill to help her walk down to the bike, lesson learned.

I failed that litmus test, it was not a true DH bike either and she struggled all day.

If shes ready to progress she must have some basics skills for a bigger bike, dialing is sus is key for safety and confidence, and get her well kitted out.

We so called tough guys [not me I'm a pussy] might justify to ourselves why we don't need neck braces and comfortable protection, body armor FS etc.

But do it right, if one ya care about her and if ya expect her to get into it stay with it, otherwise it maybe more of a case of what you want and she won't last long, think like her and she'll be good to go! Invest up front not if she shows promise or commitment girls brand don't work that why its opposite to us, ya have to risk it the benefits are greater, don't be tight!

Also don't make her stand out, let her buy the pink bits over time, she may not want a red flashing light on her head saying look at me until shes comfortable enough on her DH sled, rule 2 and nearly as important as rule one.

Good luck and enjoy, chicks can make riding a new experience in DH and its all good :thumb:

Go the gurls..
Cheers for the advice

shes been riding a hardtail for about a year and loves it but shes getting more into the dh riding than xc. I built her hardtail as a do everything bike but its holding her back a little when she wants to go dh riding. Shes made good friends with the girls i ride with and there all on dh bikes or long travel all mtn bikes. So she needs something to help her go faster and give her more confidence when the going gets rough. Thinking more about the orange 223/224 than an adapted all mtn bike but still think a full dh bike might be too heavy. We don't have lift accessed riding here other than at races so she has to be able to push it too the top. This is her current ride

Last edited:

wachtourak

Chimp
Apr 26, 2008
Wellington, NZ
Small Glory's are pretty small. My friend is maybe 5'2"-5'3" and she seems to manage fine on hers (2009 DH1). I haven't ridden a new one yet, but they do an XS for 2010 and it's tiny, 20.6 inch top tube and a 29 inch standover

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I bought my ex a Demo 8, then put a Fox DHX Air on the back and a White Brothers 180mm fork on the front.

From what she tells me, she still rides the hell out of it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Small Glory's are pretty small. My friend is maybe 5'2"-5'3" and she seems to manage fine on hers (2009 DH1). I haven't ridden a new one yet, but they do an XS for 2010 and it's tiny, 20.6 inch top tube and a 29 inch standover
The XS giant is great for small chicks (if you can find one, the bike that is, not the chick). The problem is it still weighs a metric ton and if you need a bike that small, light weight will be a big advantage.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
a mate was selling an old xs glory there recently but there just too heavy she'd never manage to push it back up

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
The wife stand at about 5'2" and loves her Turner. easy to get a sub 40 build, but it might be hard to find a used one.

before that she had a Giant DH and liked it alot and they can be found pretty cheap, but they weigh a ton.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Cheers for the advice

shes been riding a hardtail for about a year and loves it but shes getting more into the dh riding than xc. I built her hardtail as a do everything bike but its holding her back a little when she wants to go dh riding. Shes made good friends with the girls i ride with and there all on dh bikes or long travel all mtn bikes. So she needs something to help her go faster and give her more confidence when the going gets rough. Thinking more about the orange 223/224 than an adapted all mtn bike but still think a full dh bike might be too heavy. We don't have lift accessed riding here other than at races so she has to be able to push it too the top. This is her current ride
I do like the Orange's too but like sandemo says the Turner can get down very easily mines around 38lbs and I have no real special parts on her and its all coil. & 2plys. Smart specc and not even ott $$ can get weight down, which is important for the girls for sure.

For a girl, single ply rear and ti spring, air fork Boxxer and some well thought out comps and easily get it down to 36lbs with DT 5.1s I use sun Equalizer 31s at 540 grams per rim, strong but light, but I run 2plys, single wire beads way to go for a girl maybe?

New Giants are light and maybe a good budget price for quality components same with the Mongoose bootr good bang for buck and top shelf

DHR is $1599 @ Go-Ride frame and shock and they also do full build option!

Don't know how much ya wiling to invest, but its worth it...Shes not a newbie so I'd go for it if ya can, with the hardtail as well she has a good range covered! hawt bike too btw.

Best thing though imo is to let her maybe follow what her ride friends are on, if they mainly ride DH bikes then let her choose something similar to them if that's what she wants, she should be able to get ideas from them and save you being the bad guy, ya don't want to get it wrong or make her feel pressured by you, let the girls take that heat and hold back your excitement lol hard I know.

That way she won't be under or over whelmed by there bikes, sometimes to small e.g 6" if they're on 8" can be intimidating for a girl to ride or follow, but if all on 8" she will feel better even if not doing everything they do it will allow her to progress without feeling under biked with the pack of girls lol.

Has she had any thoughts what rigs do they have? I'm sure if they have Dh rigs they push to the top too, so she can be social on the way up and rip down :D Proper Dh bike has lower CG than a FR bike or even hardcore Am bike longer wheelbase for stability, less pitchy with body movement etc for a real good rider a small bike can be fun and no issue with skills, but I'd keep to the DH option and keep the HT for climbing all round stuff but jmo but I'd let her see if she leans that way and esp from her riding mates, should be interesting to see what she comes up with, keep us informed here. they do funny things at times :eek: :D

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
I know someone in the UK selling a small turner dhr, an old 01 with an 08 roco/ti spring. They build up pretty light, and are small and not super slack. Would be a good bike, I think he has it advertised on SDH.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Some other options to look into.

For a pure DH bike look into a canfield jedi. I had a large and my 5'4 wife could stand over it with a little room to spare. The small ones would be even better. You can find them used from time to time for a good deal

For more of a mini DH bike look into the Intense SS. Its a fun bike that should be plenty slack and have just the right amount of travel for her. Maybe throw a lyrik 170mm on it and it should be great.

My wife rides a syren and loves it. She is pretty confident on it. She is progressing really fast though so i think she is ready for a full DH bike but she doesn't want to let the syren go. I think this has more to do with the color than anything though. we may try to make it a little more dh by putting a lyrik 170 or some reducer cups or both. also thinking of a coil shock.

Here is a picture of her syren, it now has pink magura louise bat brakes on it. It sits at 34lbs even. We had it down to 32 at one point but since building her an AM bike this one gained some weight back

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
a mate was selling an old xs glory there recently but there just too heavy she'd never manage to push it back up
The XS giant is great for small chicks (if you can find one, the bike that is, not the chick). The problem is it still weighs a metric ton and if you need a bike that small, light weight will be a big advantage.
.... but still think a full dh bike might be too heavy. We don't have lift accessed riding here other than at races so she has to be able to push it too the top.
You guys SERIOUSLY underestimate us. We really can play with the big boys, even when the bike to weight ratio would be like you riding a +60lb bike. Just because we have vaginas doesn't mean we aren't strong and determined to beat you back up to the top when you tell us we can't.

Because we will. ;)

My bike is 41 pounds. I weigh 118. Do that math, and figure it out the ratio with your weight. Then tell me we aren't badass's.

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
Also...
World Champion Emmeline Ragot who is now on Intense Cycles...rides a small 951 and she is barely 5'3".

I know you are biased...

But you are also right. The small 951 is a freaking BLAST to ride. It just FLOATS over everything. I fell in love with it when I rode it. Fit perfectly, and was just a phenomenal ride all around.

Damn, now I'm wishing I would have gotten one again. Hmph!