Quantcast

Smokers

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Who here smokes tobacco?

I smoke in the off-seasons because I like to.

I quit again during the season, because I know smoking and riding/racing don't mix so well.

For some reason, quiting is easy for me.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Ill have one cigar every month. That's about it. Funny, I just picked up a CAO something-or-other on my lunch break.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I live in the smoking capital of the US.
Smokers flick their cigarette butts everywhere, in the street, in parks, indoors.
You can't walk 5 feet without seeing a cigarette butt.
There are very few non-smoking establishments here.
It is the only place in the county where a non-smoker has no rights.
Nasty.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I live in the smoking capital of the US.
Smokers flick their cigarette butts everywhere, in the street, in parks, indoors.
You can't walk 5 feet without seeing a cigarette butt.
There are very few non-smoking establishments here.
It is the only place in the county where a non-smoker has no rights.
Nasty.
I was just going to say that you must live next door to me but I remembered that you do, in fact, live in the area :D

My campus just passed a rule that you have to remain 15' from buildings to smoke because the smokers would clog doorways and turn it into a fog that everyone else had to walk through - thank God for small favors :rolleyes:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wish my sife would stop smoking. Any suggestions on how I can get her too?
Stab her?

Seriously though, take her to the body works exhibit if you can. The one where they've got all the cadavers plasticized and splayed out. One of the pieces is a normal lung right next to a smokers lung. Not a picture of it. The actual thing. Its gross. I've got half a dozen or so friends who immediately after seeing that, threw their packs of cigarettes in the trash.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
My campus just passed a rule that you have to remain 15' from buildings to smoke because the smokers would clog doorways and turn it into a fog that everyone else had to walk through - thank God for small favors :rolleyes:
They have a 25' rule on our campus. Smokers gotta bring an umbrella, no hiding by the entrance overhangs anymore.

Don't put out until she quits.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I was just going to say that you must live next door to me but I remembered that you do, in fact, live in the area :D

I'm about 3 hours from the Emerald City and when I went to school there smoking didn't bother me as much as it does here.
I'd say about 90% of the local population smokes.

I have a friend who used to test cigarettes for the company.
Before he quite smoking he could not go 15 minutes without a cigarette.

Around here smokers will take the pack they are working on and a back-up pack just to go 1.5 miles to dinner.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Quitting sucks. In the process now and would rather strangle someone.

I smoked for around 10 years and just quit about 3 ago (and I'm only 29). It's definitely not an easy thing to do. I got sick for a week and didn't want to smoke so I had a little head start. Once you get thru the 1st month it gets better and then after about 6 months you don't even think about it anymore. Just hang in there. :thumb:

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
I quit smoking back in Nov 21 2006 for biking, was clean all the way up till July 4th of this year (bachelor party)...now I'm hooked again:plthumbsdown:.

I vowed never to smoke again after going through the 2 month of withdrawals from quitting back in 06. I'm a liar.

Smoking fvcking sucks.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
One thing I hate is the traveling I used to do... lots of trips to the midwest where they still smoke indoors.

I had a bartender drop off my salad and drink while her cigarette was hanging out of her mouth... I almost puked.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I used snuff for a while. I never really smoked. Snuff was bad enough. I am pissed about smoking. I have to wear pants in a restaurant, you can't smoke. Seems like a fair trade. Inconsiderate f*#kers.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
One thing I hate is the traveling I used to do... lots of trips to the midwest where they still smoke indoors.

I had a bartender drop off my salad and drink while her cigarette was hanging out of her mouth... I almost puked.
There are few non-smoking restaurants here and only one non-smoking bar.

Only in the past few years have they ban smoking in grocery stores.

Most convenience stores around here are still smoking.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
they've banned smoking in all restaurants here...it used to be bars too, but then they allowed it again, but the bar has to be 21 and up, and they cant serve food. also the university campus is smoke free i think

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Smoking is banned in and around everything here. I remember I was so excited that I could go to the bar and not walk out smelling like an ash tray.

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
i smoke about a pack a day. i ride a fixed gear as my means of transportation. i ride xc too when i have time. i also smoke hookah quite often. seriously i have not seen any difference in my performance. I have been chain smoking hookah for a year and a half and cigs for a year. oh yeh an occasional cigar like 4 times a year maybe

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I used too. Then I quit. Then I found good tobacco (Bali Shag) & toook it up again for a little while. I love Bali Shag but smoking is not an option any more.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Stage 5 lung cancer 5 year survival rate <2%. Death ain't pretty either, years of suffering. Have her volunteer at for the local Hospice taking care of those dying from lung cancer.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
Stage 5 lung cancer 5 year survival rate <2%. Death ain't pretty either, years of suffering. Have her volunteer at for the local Hospice taking care of those dying from lung cancer.
i would much rather die riding my bike, or from a freak skydiving accident than from lung cancer

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I smoked hookah some times, like maybe 5 times a year. My Israeli friends love the stuff and sometimes when I am with them I will take part in a hookah sesh. I have 2 of them that never get used. Other than that cigs are super nasty

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I can't imagine why anyone would continue to smoke knowing how horrible it is for you. There should be an additional tax on all tobacco products that is paid directly to those of us that don't use it, just for having to put up with it - sort of like profit sharing for not being an idiot.