Quantcast

Smuggling Beer into Canadia?

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I'm leaving tomorrow moring. We're planning on bringing a keg of IPA up with us to: a) save money, b) drink more, c) drink better, d) have more fun.

We've done it before, but it's inside a camper shell. This time, it will be exposed in the bed (probably concealed in some way).

Is this illegal?
If I get caught, will there be real problems or will they just confiscate it?

Thanks

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It's not illegal if it's for personal consumption. I regularly take in several cases. When the border guard asks, I usually say that I don't have any alcohol. However, if it's visible, then you should probably be honest.
A keg might be pushing the limit on what they will wave through.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Ahahahahahahhahahahahhaha

you're smugling American beer into Canada!

hahahahahahahahahhAhahahahah

Can't drink real beer? And cheaper beer at that!

sorry, this has to be the absolute funniest post I've seen on here ever!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
atrokz said:
Ahahahahahahhahahahahhaha

you're smugling American beer into Canada!

hahahahahahahahahhAhahahahah

Can't drink real beer? And cheaper beer at that!

sorry, this has to be the absolute funniest post I've seen on here ever!
You are confused. He's not talking about Coor's light or Budweiser. Generally speaking most American brews are better and cheaper. Ever hear of hops? It seems most Canadian brewers have not.

Anyway, you're allowed like a 6-pack or one bottle of liquor (or something like that) per person for personal consumption. Depending on how many people you have, it might be a violation. That said, I drove over the border with three kegs (two people) earlier this year and they did not search us. I have no idea what would happen if you got caught lying.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
better and cheaper?

um, no. Ever try Creemore, Sleeman, Brick, etc (some of which use hop's. Oh gosh!)? When you're up here go to the local store and pick up some micro-brewed Canadian beer and you will swear off most american piss-in-a-can. And, you can buy many international beers here as well.

Granted some US beers are ok, some even just as good (Sam adams to name one) but to say 'better and cheaper' is not true. Besides, we have too many international gold winnings to let our beer be put down by the water drinkers :P, and to bring your own beer into Canada when we have what is considered some of the best beer on the planet at prices that are not realy more expensive than Us beer just seems like a waste of time, and a weird thing to do, unless you have like, 20 24's sitting in the basement.

So like, when I visit Germany am I supposed to bring my Canadian beer with me? :dancing:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
atrokz said:
better and cheaper?

we have what is considered some of the best beer on the planet

So like, when I visit Germany am I supposed to bring my Canadian beer with me? :dancing:

Well, I guess so. Just depends on how many Kokanees' (sp?) you can fit in your suitcase.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
atrokz said:
better and cheaper?

um, no. Ever try Creemore, Sleeman, Brick, etc (some of which use hop's. Oh gosh!)? When you're up here go to the local store and pick up some micro-brewed Canadian beer and you will swear off most american piss-in-a-can. And, you can buy many international beers here as well.

Granted some US beers are ok, some even just as good (Sam adams to name one) but to say 'better and cheaper' is not true. Besides, we have too many international gold winnings to let our beer be put down by the water drinkers :P, and to bring your own beer into Canada when we have what is considered some of the best beer on the planet at prices that are not realy more expensive than Us beer just seems like a waste of time, and a weird thing to do, unless you have like, 20 24's sitting in the basement.

This is lame. Have you ever been to the states and seen how many types and varieties there are from the many micros we have? Seriously, just because we have brands like Coors, Budweiser etc doesn't mean jack. Your rant is like me comparing some decent American label like Otter Creek, Trout River or Magic Hat to Labatt and then, by extension, claiming that all Canadian beer must suck.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
HAHA, good move editing your post there atrokz, you were about to ruin yourself.

Anyway, I just took a look at the Canadian brands of beer you mentioned and I can say, by looks alone, I wouldn't waste my time or money with any of those beers. I'm not a fan of yellow beer and thats what I'm seeing there. I'm not saying Canadians don't have any good beer, it's just that what you posted looks far to similar to the American beer that I wouldn't touch either. Take a look at some fine American pale ales like Stone Pale, Green Flash, Seirra Nevada, Anchor, etc.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
atrokz said:
better and cheaper?

Look man, I love visiting Canada, don't take it so personally. If you recognize my avatar you should know that I like good beer. I don't drink piss in a can, in fact I don't drink beer from a can at all unless it's a bad-beer theme party. Calling me a water drinker is just lame.

I've been going to the Whistler area for three years in a row, every time I try a bunch of Canadian beer because I really want to like it. But I just don't. And Candian "premium" is more expensive than good american beer. You are not gonna convince me otherwise.

Sounds like you're not worthy. :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
JRogers said:
This is lame. Have you ever been to the states and seen how many types and varieties there are from the many micros we have? Seriously, just because we have brands like Coors, Budweiser etc doesn't mean jack. Your rant is like me comparing some decent American label like Otter Creek, Trout River or Magic Hat to Labatt and then, by extension, claiming that all Canadian beer must suck.
Magic hat #9

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
god... you people are so defensive...

anyway, i m from australia and WE HAVE THE SH!TTIEST BEER OF ALL... FOSTERS...

(thankfully we don t drink it, we just export it to you guys)

and yes... the beer here in germany is awesome... :mumble: :dancing: :thumb:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
ncrider said:
HAHA, good move editing your post there atrokz, you were about to ruin yourself.

Relax, the edit was to clarify the point, not to cover anything up. the rudeness still remains! haha.

So, now that I've opened the 'can of water drinkers', I should run no? Lax american gun laws might get the best of me :P

that being said, I know there's good american beers (in case you did not notice that point in the post, with the blood boiling bast the eyes and all) but there is no reason to bring beer here, when we have world class beer here thats won allot of international acclaim. It just seems weird. Besides, we have 10% beer here! so why not try some out. My Germany comment sums it all up........

Oh, and I have been to the US and have stayed for weeks in places like springfeild (mas) so I have tried the beer. It's ok, but not like the canadian :thumb:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
OGRipper said:
I've been going to the Whistler area for three years in a row, every time I try a bunch of Canadian beer because I really want to like it. But I just don't. And Candian "premium" is more expensive than good american beer. You are not gonna convince me otherwise.
Fair enough, just seems weird when we have soooo much choice. International and national. Sacrilege!

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Actually, we have a brewry for a sponsor (*tear runs down cheek*) and it's pretty darn good beer.

The "cost" savings I'm referring to is bringing a keg if you do the math: $90 / 165 beers = $0.55 per beer. Versus: $14 / 12 beers = $1.17 per beer (underestimating Whistler resort prices for beer).

This makes for a handy excuse to drink more.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
OG thats arrogant bastard ale right? They have that around here. GOod stuff.

I thought you smuggled RedBull into Canada.... Not beer....

I have an idea to get in without hassle.....

Strap it to your hood, and put some hoses going from the keg into your engine, and when they ask, say its a high performace engine mod... for you know..like... more power...eh....

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
JRogers said:

no, it's like comparing Boston brewery (which has won awards) to Creemore, in which case I'll take a 6 pack of ontarios' finest please :)

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Biscuit said:
Actually, we have a brewry for a sponsor (*tear runs down cheek*) and it's pretty darn good beer.

The "cost" savings I'm referring to is bringing a keg if you do the math: $90 / 165 beers = $0.55 per beer. Versus: $14 / 12 beers = $1.17 per beer (underestimating Whistler resort prices for beer).

Yea, that makes sense. Import away! But!!!!! if I catch you visiting without trying one Candian micro brew, we feed you to the beavers!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
This is a retarded argument but hey we're all board so... I have been all around the world, Canada, Germany, Japan, Austria, Switzerland, ect. ect. Bottom line is all countries have their Sh1tty beers and all have some extremely good ones. U.S has Budweiser, Canada has Kokanee. Truth is after six or so does it really matter?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Biscuit said:

All this beer talk is making me thirsty. I've got some Holsten Maibock (7%) in the fridge and a lawn that needs mowing..............

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Pegboy said:
This is a retarded argument but hey we're all board so... I have been all around the world, Canada, Germany, Japan, Austria, Switzerland, ect. ect. Bottom line is all countries have their Sh1tty beers and all have some extremely good ones. U.S has Budweiser, Canada has Kokanee. Truth is after six or so does it really matter?
Yea exactly, I'm just stirring ****e, and was wondering why someone didn't want good Canadian beer.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
atrokz said:
Granted some US beers are ok, some even just as good (Sam adams to name one) :dancing:
First of all, Sam Adams is pretty good, not good. And I never said Canada didn't have good beer. I just implied it.

Transcend said:
Wow, American kids are confused. You smuggle beer OUTof Canada, not into it.

Enjoy your 3.5/5.1 % piss in a can. Ugh.
3.5% Where were you Utah? I smuggle beer into Utah as well.
Ours is all 6.5+, the IPA is more. We have a beer called Wamber, that is like 12%, really. If you manage to drink six you aren't walking straight.
Tastes good too.

And, smuggling canned beer would be laughable. I'm sure if I managed to get caught with "coors light" at the border they would probably double over and flag me away.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
oly said:
OG thats arrogant bastard ale right? They have that around here. GOod stuff.

I thought you smuggled RedBull into Canada.... Not beer....

It's funny you say that. We were hosting a race in Canada a few years ago. Our entire series (2 US races and 4 Canadian races) was sponsored by redbull.

So some guys (IDs withheld) drove across the border with over 250 cans of Redbull and a redbull Arch in a truck. I didn't realise how hard it was to get until some 10 year old came up to me and offer $5 for 1 can. I just handed him one and told him to take it. He thought it was christmas.

Beer: good luck with a keg. I don't think your going to make it across. Worse case, you will get turned back. Tell them that you are going to drink all of it in the nearest parking lot and you will be back in 2-3 hours. Make sure you have a sober driver because Canada executes people for DUI.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
atrokz said:
Relax, the edit was to clarify the point, not to cover anything up. the rudeness still remains! haha.

So, now that I've opened the 'can of water drinkers', I should run no? Lax american gun laws might get the best of me :P

Besides, we have 10% beer here! so why not try some out. My Germany comment sums it all up........
Oh come on now, you took out the ending which was what people would have freaked about. Anyway, a good internataional beer debate is always good times. Too bad we can't do an e-tasting :thumb: . Oh and by the way, we got 10% beer here too, http://www.arrogantbastard.com/doublebastard/2004/index.html
I've tried a very good 10% ale at the Santa Barabara brewing Co. also. Oh, man all this talk of beer. Thank god it's friday!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
lame lame lame, this whole "we're number 1!" chanting. I avoid drinking Molson for the same reason i'll avoid Coors (oops, they're the same company gosh...). Micro-brews are where its at, and of course not always obvious to find either, although thats changing.

When i was living in Whistler for a year there seemed to be a lack of good beers, maybe Kilkanee (sp?)....Kokanee is Labatt Blue in disguise...ugh.

I dont know if you'll find these in other provinces east of here, but McAuslan and Unibroue make some tasty ones, with their 'light' beers being meetier than Molson XXX. Unibroue has upto 10% alc, most falling in the 7-9% range.

http://www.mcauslan.com/en/
http://www.unibroue.com/produits/index.cfm

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Just to clarify, I take my own beer because I am a beer snob. It is hard to find decent beer in Whistler. I'm sure there is some, but it's hard to get. Bringing a cold case or 2 every trip is the solution.

And if you like hops, may I suggest Sierra Nevada Bigfoot. If you can drink 6er and still walk, you are a better man than me.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Zedro, thanks for pointing that out. I have to admit that Maudite and Fin du Monde are fantastic. In fact I've got a couple bottles of Maudite in my fridge right now. But I don't recall seeing it for sale at any of the bars or liquor stores in or near Whistler.

Damn I am thirsty.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Canadian beer (with the exception of some brewers out of Quebec) generally sucks ass.

Molson markets well though, so people think that it's good. It's not.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
and you've tried them all? even creemore?

And BTW all, Molson, Labbat, etc is considered trash beer for people with mullets and circa 79 rootbeer Camaros. Same as you would consider your 'king of beers'.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
and you've tried them all? even creemore?

And BTW all, Molson, Labbat, etc is considered trash beer for people with mullets and circa 79 rootbeer Camaros. Same as you would consider your 'king of beers'.
Even with that said, I'd take a Rickards Red over any mainstream US beer anyday.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
OGRipper said:
Zedro, thanks for pointing that out. I have to admit that Maudite and Fin du Monde are fantastic. In fact I've got a couple bottles of Maudite in my fridge right now. But I don't recall seeing it for sale at any of the bars or liquor stores in or near Whistler.

Damn I am thirsty.
unibroue beers kick ass. my current favorite is "terrible" - their darkest ale; 10%. delicious. unibroue is available at both the whistler liquor store (at least the larger one by the iga) and the cold beer & wine at the blackcomb base.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Kidwoo and I brought our own beer when we went up to Whistler a few weeks ago. We had a cooler full and never got questioned when we crossed the customs.