Quantcast

Snow chains?

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Does anyone have chains for a 195 tire they'd be willing to loan/rent? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Collateral can be worked out if necessary.

gravity1

Chimp
Dec 5, 2004
santa barbara
Chains don't work- no sense in bothereing. Put some 1/4" sheet metal screws in from the outside or longer screws out from the inside, but I'll be honest that in 8 years of snow riding in alaska, we don't use anything except regular tires at lower psi for the most part unless you are on the roads. Ritchey alpha omegas are pretty much the best snow tires for snow. Nokians are by far the only studded tire to use for lakes and streets. They are good on trail but slow and unless you are on glare ice, you do not need studs or anything. Noone in the Iditabike ever ran studs.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
gravity1 said:
Chains don't work- no sense in bothereing. Put some 1/4" sheet metal screws in from the outside or longer screws out from the inside, but I'll be honest that in 8 years of snow riding in alaska, we don't use anything except regular tires at lower psi for the most part unless you are on the roads. Ritchey alpha omegas are pretty much the best snow tires for snow. Nokians are by far the only studded tire to use for lakes and streets. They are good on trail but slow and unless you are on glare ice, you do not need studs or anything. Noone in the Iditabike ever ran studs.
wow yes i am sure he knows that

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
merrrrjig said:
We figured out that chains dont work when u only put them on 1 tire :)
Pff. If someone didn't buy the bargain basement chains or had the slightest clue how to put them on it might have been a different story. Luckily, my larger than average testicles and never-lift driving style got up past some 4wds.