Quantcast

Snow in Santa Barbara *pics*

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
First of all, I didn't take any of the pictures below. So, I'd like to thank all the manly-men who were willing to bear the burden of carrying a camera with them. Who shall remain nameless :)

Basically, I got invited (read:coerced) to go on an SB trip over the 18th/19th/20th. Not for my great conversational skills, sense of humor, or even to help pay for gas; but only because I knew the trails and the old bums needed a guide. boo hoo

Oh, well. I'll take my riding however I can get it. Even if I have to resort to extortion.

Saturday we rode Tunnel and Cold Springs (some rode it twice)
Sunday we rode Romero and Cold Springs
Monday we headed up to San Luis Obispo and rode Tower and Morning Glory.

Check the photo's out. (sorry, I'm generally too impatient to stop for riding photos.. next time)

Yea, that white stuff is snow.
The best part about riding in the snow: HIKERS DON'T HIKE IN SNOW!

This was actually the drive out to Romero on Sunday

Last time I was here in winter it was about 80 degrees.

At the top of Tunnel (I know, we had a crap load of people)

Me (third in line) and two "faster" guys as we waited impatiently for the rest of the "slow guys" to finish doing their makeup. (still at the top of tunnel).

PunkAssSean says: "I can see my house from here..."

Me, trying to convince the old guys that climbing a downhill bike is fun.

Check this crazy/confusing view:

A couple of actual riding photos (I'd give people credit, but I just met most of them and I can't tell them apart in their riding gear):

Me, trying to pretend like I know what I'm doing (Cold Springs):

Mike, doing his best to be like me:

Shock problems on Tunnel (turns out PunkAssSean is a pretty f'ing good mechanic... and a nice guy. Saved Justins weekend)

At the bottom it was warm enough for some bozo to do this (he was our cheerleader):

After some of this:

Some of this:

And some of this (no - he didn't get this while riding... a bike)

We headed up to SLO.
Justin f'in around at the top of Tower trail waiting for me to jerry rig my brake:

Everyone else waiting for me to figure out my brakes:

It quickly became clear that not everyone thought so highly of my "favorite trail of all time"

So then we rode Morning Glory, which was super crazy fast fun. Good luck getting me to stop for pictures there.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
bomberboy11 said:
That is awesome!!! We went up to Knapps castle in the middle of the night just to mess around when it was blizzarding, super cool.

So you're a fan of Tower trail too huh?
I soooo wanted to ride knapps too. But with all the wetness, and the short shuttle, we didn't want to coat the inside of the trucks with mud.

And yes, I'm a fan of Tower. I was fantasizing about it all weekend knowing we were going to hit it on the way back.
Tower: The faster you go, the more fun it gets.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
zmtber said:
wow, only in great sb can you get the best of both worlds
Right, having a little snow at the top of a trail near the ocean is the "best of both worlds." :rolleyes: I would consider a resort the best of both worlds but not SB.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Bicyclist said:
Right, having a little snow at the top of a trail near the ocean is the "best of both worlds." :rolleyes: I would consider a resort the best of both worlds but not SB.
Someone always has to go and get jealous.

Thanks mr. negative :mumble:

Nice pictures, wish I was there :thumb:

The Ito

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
ito said:
Someone always has to go and get jealous.

Thanks mr. negative :mumble:

Nice pictures, wish I was there :thumb:

The Ito
I'm just messing around with him, I live like 40mins. away.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Wow- that's aquite a bit of snow. These are what I saw from Los Olivos last week. The mountain with snow is the one Southwest of Mt. Figueroa (not sure what it's called).

Nice Pictures!
I really want to go ride Romero. In SLO, I have only ridden Morning Glory (fast and fun, but not much to jump off) and Madonna Mtn. (xc)

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Nice shots! I've never seen snow on tunnel/Cold Spring before. I couldn't imagine driving up that road with snow and ice--it's pretty scary dry!

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
beaverbiker said:
tower is the best trail ever, next to face and valencia peak
For some reason, I never thought Tower was that hard... apparently they though otherwise. Mike said it was the first time in a long time a trail has made him second guess himself (he still rode it though).

There was no way in hell I was going to take those guys on face. Even without their bikes they probably would've hurt themselves.

Where is Valencia Peak?

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
tower isn't that hard. it has a couple hairball sections, but overall it's pretty easy to ride. it's just hard to ride fast, cause if you screw up, you're gonna die.

valencia is out in MDO.

Gambo

Monkey
About 5 years ago (when I worked at stratos) there was a huge storm that dump over 3 feet yes I said 3 feed of snow. You could not drive to the top without 4wd we did tunnel and had to push our bike a long way till the snow wasnt so deep. It was very cool :thumb:

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
bikenweed said:
We need to run a black market race down Tower. Is Leland still killing it?
He was. He broke his wrist, got the cast off, and just broke it again. When are you coming back here? You should get a team together for the 24 hour race at laguna seca and come race us. me, weir, kirk desmond, and henry o are gonna kill it.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
beaverbiker said:
He was. He broke his wrist, got the cast off, and just broke it again. When are you coming back here? You should get a team together for the 24 hour race at laguna seca and come race us. me, weir, kirk desmond, and henry o are gonna kill it.
You gonna be back for the 24 hour race Weed? (5/13/06)
Wanna be on my team? I think one of my guys is going to back out when he has to pay to race.

I got's me a xc hardtail, you can ride your bontrager and we'll kill it.

We aren't gonna kill it like the aggro wtb/santa cruz guys... But we have free beer and couches and stuff to sit on.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Biscuit said:
You gonna be back for the 24 hour race Weed? (5/13/06)
Wanna be on my team? I think one of my guys is going to back out when he has to pay to race.

I got's me a xc hardtail, you can ride your bontrager and we'll kill it.

We aren't gonna kill it like the aggro wtb/santa cruz guys... But we have free beer and couches and stuff to sit on.
DAMMIT! I'm in Spain till the end of June. The only thing I like more than DH is XC, and I'm in shape again. Oh man, it would be rad to race Weir. Hopefully we can all race up at Downieville. The SX is a Super D bike now, coil shock and all.

Beavnuts, tell Leland to stop getting hurt! He needs to slow down to go faster. Three broken wrists in 6 months? Maybe he should just do something safer, like dirt bikes and BMX.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
I'll jump in. Trail is definately one of my top three favorites of all time. It's not that hard of a trail, but it is TONS of fun. Makes me want to go back...I just need to remember to bring regular shoes and my clips in a backpack.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Scott, what hapenned to the snow pics? I never got to see them. Can you email me some of the better ones from Romero an the ridgeline etc. What a fun ride....

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
punkassean said:
Scott, what hapenned to the snow pics? I never got to see them. Can you email me some of the better ones from Romero an the ridgeline etc. What a fun ride....
WTF!!!

Well, I'm not going through that whole posting crap again. I'll pm you a link to the photobucket site.