Quantcast

Snowshoe continues to take shape...

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Oh i can't wait to move there. Sadly i cant get out this coming week and gotta wait till after the us open oh well ill be there all summer. MWAWAWHWHAWHA

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
I've already ridden it. :thumb:

I was up helping them on Tuesday, they've got it 98% done. Coolest trail I've ever ridden, berms are perfect, jumps are easy to clear, plenty of flow. It's called "Power Line", and this is just 1/3 of what it's gonna be in the next few years. Snowshoe has certainly stepped it up.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
When I was there, they had plenty of sun, and there were only a few muddy spots. Drainage is a big concern, and they have been trying to take care of any problems. Not sure what'll be like in a typical Snowshoe downpour....

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Yea when the mtb park opened up last year, there were some sections that had really bad drainage issues and ended up turning into giant ruts.

It's supposed to rain there next Friday so I'm expecting a mudfest.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Well, they can maintain the durability of the trails by rock armoring and installing french drains in sections. I'm sure first priority is cutting the trail in, but they really might want to take into account long term durability.

I'm sure the crew will have to shut it down on certain days when it's too wet. Don't they do that at Whistler sometimes?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Jayridesacove said:
regardless of the mud, this is a good step towards the progression of the riding at snowshoe.
hah hah...no doubt. I just want to make sure that trail is there for me for many, many years to come... hee hee....I'm grinning just thinking about beating Kalen on his home trail! :love:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
DHanamal said:
When I was there, they had plenty of sun, and there were only a few muddy spots. Drainage is a big concern, and they have been trying to take care of any problems. Not sure what'll be like in a typical Snowshoe downpour....
what's the length & speed like?

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
dump said:
what's the length & speed like?
It's actually pretty long, I'd say like 1.5 minutes, but I didn't time myself. Speedwise, you can haul pretty fast, it's fairly steep, and it's got very long and tall berms.

The jumps are great, nothing huge (yet), but there is a pretty big triple, probably about 30 ft if you air it all the way down the tranny. It's the 4th jump in the main set. There's also a good variation of jumps, some stepdowns, floaters, rollers, etc.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Jayridesacove said:
Yea when the mtb park opened up last year, there were some sections that had really bad drainage issues and ended up turning into giant ruts.

It's supposed to rain there next Friday so I'm expecting a mudfest.
By the end of the season they had gone back and reworked many of the muddy sections. Last year was their first attempt and they've learned well from their mistakes.

Mike

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Dartman said:
By the end of the season they had gone back and reworked many of the muddy sections. Last year was their first attempt and they've learned well from their mistakes.

Mike

Yeah i rode in july out there and it was bone dust dry.

Also, the western territory drains a lot better then the FR side as many know.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
TamaSKA said:
does this trail deserves a dh bike?
A good jump HT or 4x bike would be better on it. It's absolutely smooth from top to bottom, it just goes on for days. There are many other new (and old) trails on the western side that will give 8-9 inches a real good workout however.

I pretty sure the shot looking down on Mike in the Bobcat digging a stump out isn't on "Powerline" it's part of a new trail called "Heaven" and he's clearing out the landing for a 8 foot drop. To get to it you go all the way to the end of the midsection of "Ball-n-the-Jack" (Sport DH course) and cross the dirt road (Rockgarden). It comes out the same place as "Powerline".

Mike

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Dartman said:
A good jump HT or 4x bike would be better on it. It's absolutely smooth from top to bottom, it just goes on for days. There are many other new (and old) trails on the western side that will give 8-9 inches a real good workout however.

I pretty sure the shot looking down on Mike in the Bobcat digging a stump out isn't on "Powerline" it's part of a new trail called "Heaven" and he's clearing out the landing for a 8 foot drop. To get to it you go all the way to the end of the midsection of "Ball-n-the-Jack" (Sport DH course) and cross the dirt road (Rockgarden). It comes out the same place as "Powerline".

Mike
I believe you're right, if my mind serves me, then it has like 3 different drop sizes. It also has a cool double log jump/drop thing, think Durango DH course.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
mobius said:
8 foot drop whaaaaaaaaat? Sounds like snowshoe is adding some stuff i wanna see!
Yer gonna love it, if you live!!! :sneaky:

I understand that after he removed the stump he shaped up a nice tranny for the landing. He also reworked the big rock under the lift line on the Mayhem course with a tranny.

Mike