Quantcast

Snowshoe downhill camp?

Da Monkey

Chimp
Oct 4, 2004
Virginia
I am signing up for the Snowshoe DH freeride camp and i have a few questions to the poeple who have been. Where do you stay at night? what do u do during the camp? and any other info would be appreciated thanks.

pntballpunk51

Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
clifton *CPT REPRESENT*
I went to the first one. You stay in the summit condos which are kinda crappy but its all good. Make sure to turn the heaters off when you get there. The first day kinda sucks because you do a bike set up and skills evaluation and you will get a max of 3 runs in. The other 2 days are pretty sweet. They have a little race thing at the end that kis pretty fun. They are not strict at all so you can do whatever you want at night and some people even ditched the camp during the day and went riding on their own. Me and sean and some other people ditched lunch and just went riding. The night life sucks but theres a free pool with a hot tub you can go in. I don't recommend eating at the junction, eat anywhere else. You really got to play with your fork settings and shock settings. I had mine set up great for downhill but when I went into the freeride park I'd bottom out on half the stuff and get bucked off my bike!!! the landings are crazy flat on some of the ****. My 40 bottomed and so did my 4-way. I probably should have ran more compression damping or something but its all good. Have fun!

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I was thinking of doing the August camp but decided it would be a better idea to wait until I have a big bike, a full facer, body armor, and some hours/familiarity on the bike. Something tells me my hardtail and shin guards just isn't gonna cut it.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
HotButterToppin said:
I was thinking of doing the August camp but decided it would be a better idea to wait until I have a big bike, a full facer, body armor, and some hours/familiarity on the bike. Something tells me my hardtail and shin guards just isn't gonna cut it.
Good call! :thumb:

MDBullit

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
Bethesda, MD
HotButterToppin said:
all that stuff can be rented at Snowshoe. You can get high end rentals (Demo 9s, Freight Trains, etc) as well as 661 body armor. And the riding is progressive there, you get used to the terrain quickly.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Yeah I was thinking about renting. I guess I could do that in leiu of my trusty hardtail.

Between the camp cost, rentals, and driving time I think I'm still gonna hold off til next season when hopefully I'll be more integrated into the local MD/VA/WV freeride scene. Right now I don't have anyone to ride with. A friend's girlfriend has a condo at Snowshoe, which should be pretty slick for next season too.

Oh yeah and I need to put all new suspension on my car fairly soon. Everything is conspiring against me!!

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
The cabin/room I was in with four others was awsome. It had 3 bed rooms w/ queen beds/ bunk beds and a couch. Tv w/ dvd player. 2 bathrooms. Kitchen, stove, microwave, fridge. Even a little bar area with a back porch! :eviltongu

Anyway, it is a good deal for the price. I would like to do it again! :cool:

Craig

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
haromtnbiker said:
The cabin/room I was in with four others was awsome. It had 3 bed rooms w/ queen beds/ bunk beds and a couch. Tv w/ dvd player. 2 bathrooms. Kitchen, stove, microwave, fridge. Even a little bar area with a back porch! :eviltongu

Anyway, it is a good deal for the price. I would like to do it again! :cool:

Craig
Where do you check in the first night???

hardtailer88

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
Bethesda MD
the camp with shaums was cool. i got a lot faster from it, mostly learned some really helpful techniques in corners and for braking and stuff. Although the technique lessons were kinda boring and drawn out, they were helpful in the end. If you are an advanced rider and your bike is set up properly, and you know it, it is possible to just ditch the morning of the first day and ride trails, and meet up for lunch or the afternoon session. My only complaints about the camp are that lunch breaks are really long, and the pros are laid back so we dont get in as many runs as i would have liked. The time trial on the last day is very helpful and fun, especially if you havent raced before. The accomodations are okay, they beat camping...the rooms are good other than the heating/AC or lack thereof. I recommend the camp, but stay for a couple extra days afterwards, so you can really put your newly learned skills to the test. You get to meet and ride with some awesome people also.