Quantcast

Snowshoe free camping/cheap lodging?

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
In light of the recent decision to not allow camping at silvercreek, I'm kinda stumped as to where to stay for the snowshoe race this weekend. I really don't have the flow to drive 6+ hrs, pay for food, pay for race entry, then get a $200+ hotel room. I don't need to be right on the mountain, but definitely need to be less than half an hour away. Anybody know any nearby cheap motels or free camping in the national forest?

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
whitakers campground is where we headed after we got the boot from silvercreek. it's only about 15 minutes from the top of the mountain, towards cass. 20$/night per site, hot showers, decent ****ters, and free wood. oh, and the bears, the bears are nice. just be prepared to hear some freaky backwoods sheeet at night

we'll be posted up there if you wanna set up another compound

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
whitakers campground is where we headed after we got the boot from silvercreek. it's only about 15 minutes from the top of the mountain, towards cass. 20$/night per site, hot showers, decent ****ters, and free wood. oh, and the bears, the bears are nice. just be prepared to hear some freaky backwoods sheeet at night

we'll be posted up there if you wanna set up another compound
Thanks drew, just what I needed. I think that's what I'll do.

DHDreams

Chimp
May 11, 2008
What's the best way to get to this campground? Do you drive down to the bottom of the mountain, by the Inn at Snowshoe, or what? Do you have to make reservations? I too was hoping to camp at Silver Creek, but 20 bucks beats condo rates.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
yea it's off 66, about 10 miles from the inn. if you pass a vfd, you've gone too far. no reservations, just roll into a site and dudeman will come around and check you in.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
WOW! Snowshoe really knows how to F@CK up a really good thing for more money! Good work!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Big group of NC bros got run outta there by the snowshoe "cops" on opening weekend. Apparently there's no more free camping there.

DHDreams

Chimp
May 11, 2008
I wonder if they also took away the free showers at Split Rock Pools... It was always nice to get showered up before the long drive home.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
WOW! Snowshoe really knows how to F@CK up a really good thing for more money! Good work!
I was told SS didn't have anything to do with it. The homeowners association at Silver Creek owns that parking lot, and had to stop camping because of insurance reasons.

OB1

Monkey
I was told SS didn't have anything to do with it. The homeowners association at Silver Creek owns that parking lot, and had to stop camping because of insurance reasons.
Thats the word. A group of 9 camped at Silvercreek this past weekend. Wed-Sat nite. They didn't get the boot til Sat nite. But the MAN decided to let them stay after all. As long as they promised to be out by 8am, and never return. Silvercreek is definetely out. I'm looking to jump in with someone who has space to sell in a room....or I'll book something last minute. I prefer a room on race weekends. I bring too much chit to races for camping. ESPECIALLY if that camping is off the mountain!

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
You are wise and with a clap:-)clapping:) you appear to save the day so I will not refute your statement. I have only noticed a complete disregard in support for the core rider on many respects and the banishment of camping from SC is just another example.

DHDreams

Chimp
May 11, 2008
With the economy in the toilet, you wouldn't think they would add more reasons to keep people off the mountain.

I need a van.

From the Bloodhound Gang: "Don't worry about the tinted windows, they know who's inside."

A DH'r saving money, that's who.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Snowshoe sucks balls. Customer-service wise anyway. Their riding is really good so I guess it balances out. I spent opening weekend there and the only decent customer service I witnessed was at Starbucks. :crazy:

phillipsmom

Chimp
Jul 29, 2008
Burnsville, WV
I called Snowshoe Reservations and they said there was still camping there. They booked me for Friday and Saturday nights. $33 per night plus taxes and fees. I do have a confirmation that was emailed to me. Just wanted to let everyone know. May not be free, but sure beats renting a condo!

Last edited:

OB1

Monkey
I called Snowshoe Reservations and they said there was still camping there. They booked me for Friday and Saturday nights. $33 per night plus taxes and fees. I do have a confirmation that was emailed to me. Just wanted to let everyone know. May not be free, but sure beats renting a condo!
WTF? Tell me i'm just late to the party and this post is a joke.

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
What, no camping at Silvercreek? I have been there for every race since 2005. Whats up?
we got the boot the night before opening day. first we got the "this is like disney world, nothing's free...you gotta pay to play". the man said it was a new policy, then said there had never been camping at snowshoe. the reasoning then changed to a vivacious bear problem, but he was quick to mention that for 26 dollars we could have a hike-in site.....1.5 miles into the wilderness, and presumably no bears. he was such a polite guy, great way to treat loyal patrons

Last edited:

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
por que? come again? that place is so loosely run this year it's not even funny. guy at whitaker's is a former ss employee, says they're hurting bad. upsetting their customer base should really help their cause. i was planning on purchasing a season pass, but my experience the first night of the season convinced me otherwise.

snowshoe, if you're reading this, go to church.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Said it before and I'll say it again.....camping in the Silver Creek parking lot has never been "free"!!!! The homeowners association and Snowshoe security have let it slide in the past, but face it....they are a business first and foremost, not a charity, and times are tough at present. They can continue to sit there and watch lost revenue camp out in the parking lot, with a potential liability risk in this sue happy nation, or they can put some sort of structured plan in place to make it legit and reasonably affordable.

In all, $33 a night is a bargain and anyone can swing that easily enough. Your other easy solution is simply to stay at Whitaker Campground or crash with others to split the cost....it's what a ton of others, such as myself, do every race and it works out rather cheaply.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Daddy, is that you? Why is there always ONE guy who has to ruin a perfectly good complaint thread? If you're gonna be condescending....at least be funny, or say something everyone doesn't already know.:boss:
Not trying to ruin a complaint thread, but seeing the exact same complaint by the same folks over and over again in multiple theads gets old quick. I have some close ties with Snowshoe from my pre-real job days, so I'll always defend it with a passion. I/we/you know there's issues, as does the staff at Snowshoe, but to re-air complaints over and over. Every resort that offers a summer mtb program has issues, but we should be thankful for what we have in the area instead of.........eh, nevermind, I'll get off my soapbox now, you hopefully someone gets where I am coming from.....

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
....they are a business first and foremost, not a charity, and times are tough at present. They can continue to sit there and watch lost revenue camp out in the parking lot, with a potential liability risk in this sue happy nation, or they can put some sort of structured plan in place to make it legit and reasonably affordable.
I know I should probably let this thread go the way of the buffalo but...

After this weekend, I'm convinced that SS is missing out on incremental revenue due to their decision not to let people camp at Silvercreek anymore. The race turnout seemed smaller than I remember from previous races.

You're right, times are tight which means that more people want to camp. Those campers will also spend money on lift tickets, food, beer, bike parts, etc. So would they rather NOT have those people around? It's kind of a catch 22 for them.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Like I said I have camped at Silver Creek for every race since 2005 and I will not pay $33/night for a spot in a gravel parking lot with no bathrooms readily available. All of this and the price of lift tickets has me rethinking if I will attend all the races this year. Bummer because I really enjoy Snowshoe's races..

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Seems as if SS would invest a small amount of money to make a dedicated "Camp Site" would probably be a win win for all involved.

Just sayin...

rewster

Monkey
Feb 3, 2007
charlotte nc
Said it before and I'll say it again.....camping in the Silver Creek parking lot has never been "free"!!!! ......they are a business first and foremost, not a charity, and times are tough at present. They can continue to sit there and watch lost revenue camp out in the parking lot,
Never been free? Sorry, being offered free showers, free campsite power, and free trash removal must have given me the false impression otherwise.

Charity? I hardly consider letting someone camp after spending 120$ for a pass a charity. Maybe management, and you for that matter, should realize that free camping, like offered at plenty of other venues, attracts patrons who would otherwise be unable to afford a visit.

I call bull**** on the longterm camping ban. Just a way for a struggling resort to nickel and dime people, and inadvertently turn them away.

This is my fourth year riding at snowshoe. I've seen customer service decline sharply through the years....something even the most "diehard defenders" can't deny.

---all that said, I for one will not be spending another dime at ss, atleast this year. prices have gone up, amenities have vanished, and the attitude of some employees is just downright nasty.

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
---all that said, I for one will not be spending another dime at ss, atleast this year. prices have gone up, amenities have vanished, and the attitude of some employees is just downright nasty.
Oh thank god - one less person to post a faster time than me! :girlcray:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I was really banking on the $1000 dollar pro 1st place to pay for my trip.

Somehow it just didn't come together like that. Herndon musta cheated.

Just kidding.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Gerritt is the one who cheated - pffh 2nd with 2 flats, that can't be right.... oh yeah he podiums with at least 2 technicals every race at snowshoe. hahaha