Quantcast

Snowshoe or Pisgah?

trickten

Chimp
Jul 13, 2005
Mid - MI
A couple of friends and I are comming down from Michigan to do a little whitewater rafting and a lot of Mountain biking. We're only going to be riding XC, nothing crazy.

Where is the riding better, Snowshoe or Pisgah?

Thanks way in advance.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
snowshoe isn't a hotbed of x-c activity.
but the slaty fork/elkriver area at the bottom of the mt. just to the south is.

pisgah is by far the better choice.
add to that the city of asheville right next to it.
and you can't go wrong.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Pisgah or Bent Creek right outside of Ashville. You could hit Bent Creek up and do a run down Greenslick one day then cross over to Northmills the next day for another great ride.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
greenslicks isnt exactly a xc ride. i mean yeh you have a killer climb to the top but the decent wasnt made for an xc bike. dupont and the davidson river area are prolly your best bets for epic and amazing xc rides in asheville. if you decide to come down here for pisgah i suggest going all the way to the fish hatchery and picking up a map at the hatchery itself. will deffinatly help you plan out a route and getting it at the fish hatchery it puts you in an excellent starting location. hope that helps man and have fun.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
greenslicks isnt exactly a xc ride. i mean yeh you have a killer climb to the top but the decent wasnt made for an xc bike. dupont and the davidson river area are prolly your best bets for epic and amazing xc rides in asheville. if you decide to come down here for pisgah i suggest going all the way to the fish hatchery and picking up a map at the hatchery itself. will deffinatly help you plan out a route and getting it at the fish hatchery it puts you in an excellent starting location. hope that helps man and have fun.
Not trying to E-Fight here but, every XC rider I know loves that trail. Its all about the speed you take it at..... That trial was built for XC use. It wasn't designed for DH. It is smooth as butter. Just happens to be fun as he!! on a small DH bike though. Funny how things work out.

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
I say pisgah also. You can create some pretty epoch rides linking trail systems. I picked up a very useful map thats pretty durable from REI. I think its a map worth having. MAP

trickten

Chimp
Jul 13, 2005
Mid - MI
Thanks to everybody for your reply!! I appreciate it. Man I can't wait. This is my first out of state, serious Mt Bike trip. WOOHOO!!:weee:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
If you do got o snowshoe, rent some DH bikes for a day and ride off the lift or shuttle. Then, you will convert to the dark side of seeing XC as a training tool for DH and driving 10 hours each way a couple of times a month to ride.

Also, if you don't want to drive as far, try Mohican. The XC is good and technical.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Pisagh.
Go to Brevard.
Park at the horse stables and do Black Mtn to thrift Cove to Sycamore Cove.
2nd Ride
Park at the fish hatchery. Do Caney Bottom to Farlow to Daniel Ridge
3rd Ride. North Mills River
Do Spencer Branch to Spencer Gap to Fletcher Creek to Wash Creek.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
When did they drop the "dirty" from the "dirty bird"? Did Champion go out of bidness or something? It's a fun run but you smell like bleach when you're done for the day.
Its a bit cleaner.....but its really still the dirty bird from what I've been told.