Quantcast

Snowshoe race June 23 -25

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I've never ridden a race at the Shoe. Truth be told, I just moved here, so I haven't ridden there at all. Anyone have any idea if I need to be there for three days, or can I drive in and race, then turn around and go home?

If I have to stay, is there camping around? Saving up for Nationals because I think I qualified for a spot this weekend, so every penny at this point counts.

Finally, anyone from out my way want to commute? Be nice to share gas expenses, $2.87 a gallon in my wee Tacoma is kicking my ball sack.

Edit:
Anyone know if they run a DS or a 4x at Snowshoe? Can't find any details at this point.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
If you can come up for practice on saturday. The whole moutain is open to ride, if the race course gets to crowded there are lots of other trails you can ride to get bike time.

They are doing a DS race sat night. I was told that a band has been hired to play on the stage right next to the race course during the race. That should make for a fun time.

Snow shoe always puts on killer events and always go the extra mile to make sure everyone has a good time.

http://ride.snowshoemtn.com/docs/mtn_bike_series.pdf

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
whitetail will be better, 2 races in one weekend plus a huge crowd.

if anyone is interested in seeing whitetail reopen for DH, then come out and show your support...

SS is great, but a long drive for many of us, not to mention overpriced and more often than not, wet and swampy as monsoon season in southeast asia...

Personally, i'd hit up SS in late summer when it tends to dry out

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Bearmntpicnic said:
over priced? lets go to whitetail and spend 100 dollars on a two day race ticket and ride a short ass not a good as SS race course. WEEEEEEE
I take it you've seen the two DH tracks at Whitetail?:clue: Probably not! Three days of riding, not two. Short ass? not as good? You should really know what you're speaking of before you open your pie hole! Whitetail WILL be a blast for all who attend - that's a promise:)

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Isn't it great that there are so many DH races in the area this summer that some of them conflict and we have the opportunity to argue amongst our selves about which one is better?

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
While I would love to come support and perhaps entice by dollars White Tail into doing this all the time, the third race of the MAC conflicts with Nationals, and at this point I am trying to do series races I have some hopes of winning.

However, I think the idea of getting as many people to Whitetail is a great idea, and I will do what ever I can down here to pimp it up.

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
SS isn't overpriced as far as race fees...but a room is $200 a night unless you stay at the roach at the bottom...there's no where to camp, but really, if you're lucky it won't rain and then the 4-5 hour drive (from NOVA) will be worth it...

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Paris said:
SS isn't overpriced as far as race fees...but a room is $200 a night unless you stay at the roach at the bottom...there's no where to camp, but really, if you're lucky it won't rain and then the 4-5 hour drive (from NOVA) will be worth it...

$200 a night??? Where are you staying? You need to search a little more next time. There are a couple places that are less than that for the weekend.

dhphoto

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
Lynchburg VA
so is there indeed no camping around SS? I'm in harrisonburg, but i'm trying to drive over saturday afternoon and hang around til its over...so the less driving i have to do, the better

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
There should be free camping in the Silvercreek parking lot at Snowshoe, which is about 3/4 up the mountain. I can't confirm this, but I believe it to be the case.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
_bp said:
There should be free camping in the Silvercreek parking lot at Snowshoe, which is about 3/4 up the mountain. I can't confirm this, but I believe it to be the case.
i went to mayhem in the mountains last year and camping was free up there its really close to the top of the mountain to maybe like 2 min.

Bullitboy105

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
Ohio
There is a spot off the mountain to camp...cant remember the name right now...reasonable price, about 25 a night. This will be my third year out to snowshoe and have camped there every year so far. Nice enough place, ill see about getting the name or a number to call.