Timberlake
I took some pics of the Snwoshoe DS race and they turned out really really good

I thought these pictures turned out really really good

Moto killing it

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
I dident think that snowshoe put 100% effort into the course it almost looked like a last minute thing, but it made for some pretty good racing

Aug 1, 2007
Richmond, VA
I dident think that snowshoe put 100% effort into the course it almost looked like a last minute thing, but it made for some pretty good racing

As an onlooker, I'd have to agree. At the least the course looked like it could have used a raking and a watering.

Who was in the woods taking pictures and video of the DH race?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Is that the race that Andy got eliminated in? Looks like the other guy didn't make it around that gate. :brow: Great pics anyways!
Although the evidence looks to incriminate, you know Andy is such a nice guy, he was probably all ".....Hey man, I don't want you to wreck and hurt yourself or anything.....I'll let you in a little bit here to the right, just so's you're OK............." :biggrin:

You could tell from just looking at the course that the inside line guy(and 4 gals) would have to pedal like mad to compensate for the way the start hill shot the lower lane racer through the first berm. Spectating from down below, you could almost tell everytime who would win each race by how much(or how little) the inside lane racer snapped on the pedals through the first berm and first gate. The competition got really crazy after the first elimination round----everyone was going so fierce for that inside line through the hip set--because if you had that dominant position, you pretty much shut your opponent out because you needed that angle to get into the slippery left-hander berm to the finish. There were a couple of passes made in that berm due to loose dirt, but for the most part, it was a sprit to that inside line to the hip. That's what happened to Devault---got the inside lane, and didn't get over to the right fast enough to close that line off before homey stuck his nose in there and got position on the last berm. That's racing.....but it would have been nice to see two berms in that location instead of just one, loose lane. :nerd:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
As an onlooker, I'd have to agree. At the least the course looked like it could have used a raking and a watering.

Who was in the woods taking pictures and video of the DH race?
raking and watering? Take a look at that soil bro. A rake would just turn it into a rocky mess..and water...at Snowshoe...that thing was probably getting more water from clouds sitting on the top at night than most places see in a month. :D

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
the DH race course was really awesome, lots of fast rocky sections that you could get really sketchy on if you dident pick your line right

I'm looking forward to Wolf Laurel DH

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
That's what happened to Devault---got the inside lane, and didn't get over to the right fast enough to close that line off before homey stuck his nose in there and got position on the last berm.
Thats what I'm saying though, I think he did get over enough that the other guy had to go around the gate, making it a possible dq. I guess nobody saw it though. :poster_oops:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Thats what I'm saying though, I think he did get over enough that the other guy had to go around the gate, making it a possible dq. I guess nobody saw it though. :poster_oops:
Oh yeah....I totally agree with you......he cut it a little too close, no doubt. We were positioned right at that spot where he took the photo, and you could see that Devault didn't want to shut the guy down and get anyone hurt. I just didn't think that it was anything to worry too much about--it was tight racing, indeed. The vibe was so good out there, I don't think anyone was too worried about crying foul or anything, ya know.....besides, we all know Andy's gonna be bringing home trophies for a long time to come......:cheers:

Lots of good racing in that elite class----we were rooting hard for you, moto!!! Sounded like half the hill was as well........stud. :biggrin:

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Definitely a good atmosphere at the slalom. For those that were there, the little guy that took a run right after qualifying is one a relative of a relative, as well as the son of one of our riding buddies. He's only 5, so look out man, he's gonna be killin' it one of these days.

adevault

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
for some reason, the first few pics didnt come up on my computer so I didnt see the "incriminating evidence"--could someone else send it to me??(andydevault@msn.com) i think somebody said somthing about jason missing the gate after our race but it was too late and I hate to be "that guy" that crys foul----he's fast fo show but i shouldnt have let him get the line on me in that last berm but I didnt want to send him flyin over the berm-----dang it!!!--gotta get more aggressive i guess.. super fun racing though. I could never really tell which lane was faster--everybody was goin quick!! I sooo wish there was more slalom racing around. I'd probably hang up the big bike if there was. People better keep a close eye on my lil homey Moto---hes gettin faster & faster and quietly movin up in his finishes. I'm gonna get him on the "barry bonds" strength program over the winter so watch out in 08---great time a ss this past weekend.......

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i had a great weekend but seriously what is up with the resort, it seems they are just letting the program go...i know that will fire everyone up but i am just getting a bad feeling...

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
i had a great weekend but seriously what is up with the resort, it seems they are just letting the program go...i know that will fire everyone up but i am just getting a bad feeling...
Oh man, that is a huge can of worms right there. There were numerous threads over on the VA & Surrounding Areas forum a couple months ago about that very subject. I'm not really qualified enough to speak in technical terms about the whole thing without coming off like a complete ass, but if a search doesn't do much, maybe sk6 or Dartman can fill in the rest.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
I have the same feeling.
+2

I was thinking of posting about this in the VA forum. My first time at SS was last year and now that I've been three times and seen all the trails, seems like it's heyday was 04/05 when the basin side was still new and full of promise. Since then, no new trails have been cut and I get the impression that the buzz is over. I can speculate as to the reasons but among other things, I'd guess the continued growth of DH venues up north - which is generally a great thing - has taken away a lot of business, and SS doesn't seem hungry enough to market itself better and/or make the necessary investment in trail work to gain/retain new customers.

I pray I'm wrong as I love SS and hope to be riding/racing there for years to come.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Oh man, that is a huge can of worms right there. There were numerous threads over on the VA & Surrounding Areas forum a couple months ago about that very subject. I'm not really qualified enough to speak in technical terms about the whole thing without coming off like a complete ass, but if a search doesn't do much, maybe sk6 or Dartman can fill in the rest.
It might be a can of worms but it needs opened, i have total respect for the trail crew and know they put in hard hours but it is obvious the resort is cutting the program a bit...

development was on the up in the years past but we arent seeing much new...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
+2

I was thinking of posting about this in the VA forum. My first time at SS was last year and now that I've been three times and seen all the trails, seems like it's heyday was 04/05 when the basin side was still new and full of promise. Since then, no new trails have been cut and I get the impression that the buzz is over. I can speculate as to the reasons but among other things, I'd guess the continued growth of DH venues up north - which is generally a great thing - has taken away a lot of business, and SS doesn't seem hungry enough to market itself better and/or make the necessary investment in trail work to gain/retain new customers.

I pray I'm wrong as I love SS and hope to be riding/racing there for years to come.
Totally my feelings what gives on the basin side? I mean there is so much potential over there...and it seems like it is totally being left go.

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
your welcome geeker

and I half to comment about this current subject that has been brought up, I agree it does seem that the big hype snowshoe had about building new rails has disappated, there has only been 1 new trail that has been built and that has been a begginer trail that is completley flat, I was at the last MMR camps up at SS and became really good friends with the guys up there and they told me that no plans have been made to build new trails only work on existing trails, I cant tell you how awesome snowshoe was for me, it was so exciting for me to ride trails like that, I did not want to stop and I was there for a week, I hope that someone from snowshoe is reading this right now and realizes that something needs to be done, I will be more then happy to go up there stay for a few weeks to help out, I just wish something will be done...... for the sake of mountain biking!!

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Hell, I'd be ecstatic if they just cared for/groomed/re-routed parts of the existing trails. I stopped on both sides of the mountain to take a good look at the trails beds and was saddened by what I saw. Some parts - like the lower part of the pro DH course below the hip jump - need to be retired altogether to heal up for a few years, or at least be groomed in some way to reduce the level of erosion their currently experiencing.

Ironically, I've found hareball to be the most forgiving (to my hands, if not skills and bashguard) of the western side trails because the trail is not blown out like it's easier brethren that are raced on.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah i have been going to the park since the day it opened in 2004 (I believe)...There was so much energy at that point but now it is really lost alot of momentum. We were actually stopping to fill holes in the trail that were wheel traps on the basin side...I wish the place could get it together, i have no problem making the trip but if it keeps going downhill i might begin to make less and less. Now with 7 springs looking to start a program in a big way it might even be less if they dont step it up.

_Bill

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
It might be a can of worms but it needs opened, i have total respect for the trail crew and know they put in hard hours but it is obvious the resort is cutting the program a bit...

development was on the up in the years past but we arent seeing much new...
I think that is the crux of the situation. Trail crew has been hard at it, but it seems corporate is trying to cut costs across the board. I've also heard rumors that several members of the mountain biking program have expressed interest in leaving the mountain after this year, which doesn't bode well either. It all sucks because Snowshoe was where I got my first taste of freeriding/dhing and I really really want to see it thrive.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Snowshoe will always be that "epic" mountain that I will always go to for a good DH thrashing, wet or dry it doesn't matter. More trails? They already have what like, 20 trails or so on the basin side and a ton on the western side, why need more? What I like about snowshoe is that when I'm on a trail, I'm on that trail for good and don't have to worry about crossing paths with other trails. They have an established program and a great race series with awesome payout or schwag. I couldn't really ask for more; even after visiting tons of different resorts all summer, Snowshoe is my favorite by far. :)

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Snowshoe will always be that "epic" mountain that I will always go to for a good DH thrashing, wet or dry it doesn't matter. More trails? They already have what like, 20 trails or so on the basin side and a ton on the western side, why need more? What I like about snowshoe is that when I'm on a trail, I'm on that trail for good and don't have to worry about crossing paths with other trails. They have an established program and a great race series with awesome payout or schwag. I couldn't really ask for more; even after visiting tons of different resorts all summer, Snowshoe is my favorite by far. :)
You bring up a great point. At some point, you begin to build more than you can maintain. I'd like to see them concentrate on sustaining and upkeeping the trails they already have built before building more that may not last. I think what most people are afraid of is that they are going to phase out their whole DH program, or forget it on the back burner.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Someone told me a group that owns other resorts bought snowshoe this past winter and made a lot of changes, including laying off half of the trail maintenance staff. I was kinda disappointed with the condition of the trails, mostly the landers and take offs of jumps.