Quantcast

Snowshoe Series Question

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I've e-mailed Treyvn at Snowshoe and am waiting his response but I thought I'd ask here too.

What the deal with Intro/Ametuer Series Champion. I thought if you raced Intro and won/podiumed then you moved up...well then where do your points go? Are they then applied to Ametuer or Intro when it comes to deciding the series champ?

Anyone got a educated guess?

Asking because I'm trying to decide whether to bail on a 18 hour race team because it is the same weekend as the 3rd SS race. How crazy would it be if I tried to race both in one weekend?

Thanks!

Konabumm said:
With road racing when I moved up my points went with me. But that how it works with USA Cycling I'm unsure how it works with NORBA

Skip the 18hr race - we can have another cookout
The Snowshoe races are not NORBA sanctioned. It is there own race series.

I would think that your points for the series go with you, but post back when you find out for sure either way as I'm curious. Oh, and skip that 18 hour death march and come to Snowshoe - it's not just a race weekend, but Monster Park as well.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Another question, is it mandatory that if you podium in Intro that you move up to Ameteur? I got second in Intro last race, but it was only my first race, and my time would have been pretty much dead last in Ameteur.

T-Pro

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
We have updated the prize layout and event schedule on the "ride" site. Please check it out....

http://ride.snowshoemtn.com/cash_payouts.htm

It is not mandatory to move up from the Intro division after a first place finish. It is designed for first year racers making their first steps into the sport of downhill racing, introduction to racing. Though a rider that is running times competitive with the class above is recommended to step up. Besides, the payout and prizes are weighted toward the more challenging classes. It is up to the discretion of Snowshoe as to whether a class upgrade is mandatory.

Points will not transfer from class to class... intro to am, am to elite, and vice versa. This will maintain a fair and balanced points acquisition in each class/category.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Dang it! Had I known that points wouldn't transfer then I would have raced ameteur since I would have placed 2nd in that class. I guess it's kinda like a crap shoot with the women's class, I'll just wait till the next race and see how many women show up. I hate to move up and lose my points.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
VT Mtbkr said:
Dang it! Had I known that points wouldn't transfer then I would have raced ameteur since I would have placed 2nd in that class. I guess it's kinda like a crap shoot with the women's class, I'll just wait till the next race and see how many women show up. I hate to move up and lose my points.

Keep racing intro, I got dibs on one of the season passes:D

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
So T, you're going to bump the kid that won 18-39 Amatuer up to Pro since he would have placed in the top 10 in that class too, right? :D

T-Pro

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
I think he got the idea... with all the talk I heard going on about him. He said it was his second race. I will definitley anticipate is registration form. ;)

racersdad

Chimp
Jun 25, 2006
"He said it was his second race."

So, the kid lied . . .

Race Results for Adam Raphael
Racing Age 19 from Boyne Falls, MI

Place Name License Time Bib Team

10/24/2004 - High Gear Racing 22 #5 - Downhill - Expert - Junior - 11-18
1 Adam Raphael 212320 103.8088 697 MESS

09/19/2004 - High Gear Racing 22 #4 - Downhill - Expert - Junior - 11-18
1 Adam Raphael 212320 53.0993 670

07/25/2004 - High Gear Racing 22 #3 - Downhill - Expert - Junior - 11-18
1 Adam Raphael 212320 52.9329 640

================================
Sunday, June 25, 2006

The downhill was a more technical, faster course, Bennett said.

“(It) had firm corners, so you could set up to go really fast on it,” he said. “Banked corners. Lots of jumps and stuff. So it’s a fast course.” Two runs were held on the downhill course, but only the best run counted. Adam Raphael of downstate Boyne Falls won in 2:04.0, followed by Jason Elliot (2:04.5) and Doug Pennala of Negaunee in 2:05.4.

racersdad said:
"He said it was his second race."

So, the kid lied . . .

Race Results for Adam Raphael
Racing Age 19 from Boyne Falls, MI

Place Name License Time Bib Team

10/24/2004 - High Gear Racing 22 #5 - Downhill - Expert - Junior - 11-18
1 Adam Raphael 212320 103.8088 697 MESS

09/19/2004 - High Gear Racing 22 #4 - Downhill - Expert - Junior - 11-18
1 Adam Raphael 212320 53.0993 670

07/25/2004 - High Gear Racing 22 #3 - Downhill - Expert - Junior - 11-18
1 Adam Raphael 212320 52.9329 640

================================
Sunday, June 25, 2006

The downhill was a more technical, faster course, Bennett said.

“(It) had firm corners, so you could set up to go really fast on it,” he said. “Banked corners. Lots of jumps and stuff. So it’s a fast course.” Two runs were held on the downhill course, but only the best run counted. Adam Raphael of downstate Boyne Falls won in 2:04.0, followed by Jason Elliot (2:04.5) and Doug Pennala of Negaunee in 2:05.4.
HAHA......I love it, yeah, that's the same dude who won the DS too.....yeah, I placed fourth, my first time racing Slalom, but I have raced Mountain X before, once.......I do give myself props for tearing up on my DH Rig......(Turner DHR) Adam Raphaell should def be required to MOVE IT ON UP!

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
I talked to the kid, Adam, quite a bit. He told me he this was his second big race. The U.S. Open was his first, where he finished 8th. He said he didn't really count the Michigan races, because they were, well in Michigan.

So cut the kid some slack. He is entitled to a victory. And he is entitled to be fast, just as all of you are. So go do it!

Or we could only award first place in Pro, and all other class can race for second, since invariably the fastest person was sandbagging.

Or we can just automatically disqualify the first place rider and award the second finisher for the same reason as stated above.

Although the second place guy pretty much checked out too, so we should probably just skip to third and award them the victory.

Although the same cycle then repeats.

We should randomly draw a winner out of a hat.

Though for some reason, some people tend to be luckier than others, like that women who won the lottery twice last year -- from Pennsylvania I think.

You know what since you are all winners in my book, maybe we should all get the prizes.

You here that Trevyn, or whatever your name really is, I want my $1600.

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
Adam has done our(Highgearracing.com) race series in mich. But please keep in mind this is on a very tame 150' hill.
He does most of his training close to where he lives. (N. Lower Mich)
This was his 2nd trip to a big Mt. So lets not call him a "liar" He is just a very fast kid. Dont be suprized if you see him racing Elite next race.-JM

John M said:
Adam has done our(Highgearracing.com) race series in mich. But please keep in mind this is on a very tame 150' hill.
He does most of his training close to where he lives. (N. Lower Mich)
This was his 2nd trip to a big Mt. So lets not call him a "liar" He is just a very fast kid. Dont be suprized if you see him racing Elite next race.-JM
Yeah, I talked to Adam a bunch and did a lot of runs with him on Friday. He is a super fast and real nice kid, not all full of himself either. He told me his first big race was the U.S. Open and that he had done those races in Michigan. I don't think he was sandbagging at all on purpose and it sounded like he was wanting to move up for the next race.

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
jonnynails said:
Yeah, I talked to Adam a bunch and did a lot of runs with him on Friday. He is a super fast and real nice kid, not all full of himself either. He told me his first big race was the U.S. Open and that he had done those races in Michigan. I don't think he was sandbagging at all on purpose and it sounded like he was wanting to move up for the next race.

I gotta agree....

I spoke to him just after he completed his run and he was a very nice young man. All kinds of enthusiam and youthful energy. He was very talkative and quite self-critical of his run. Nonetheless, he seemed just happy to be racing at Snowshoe and was super stoked about the whole event.

Man did he boost that final jump or what !!!!! :eek: This young man will be someone to watch out for in the coming years.

Good job Adam ! :thumb:

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
I rode up the lift with him before the race and he mentioned he won the DS the day before. Cool dude for sure.Very pleasant. Then standing around after my race run I see from a distance this guy boosting the finish line jump, I knew it had to be him. He got the biggest air of all of them. Crazy!

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
With the limeted vert we have here in Mich.....Adam and his crew have taken something small and pack it with alot of "big" stuff. He loves to be on his his bike, just getting better.
I knew he was going to be good when he showed up to one of our snow races on a clapped out craked xc bike, and was lunching one of the jumps like 30 feet. Someone needs to pick this kid up he is going to be fast.-JM

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
john.
you need to hook this kid up with ya'll when you come down to windrock this fall.

if he boosts that jump huge.
just wait till he hits some of ours.
especially that 40ft.+ roadgap down on trail one.

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
dhbuilder said:
john.
you need to hook this kid up with ya'll when you come down to windrock this fall.

He is pretty young and lives way up north from me. But he has been extended the offer- JM

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
dhbuilder said:
john.

I offered him a lift to whatever races he wants to go to. I also mentioned it to his mom.

I have been trying to get Adam on our team for over 2 years. I think with a little coaching and someone to keep his bike functioning he would be in the pro class in no time.