Quantcast

Snowshoe

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
West Virginia... Almost Heaven, pretty dang close to hell!

We should go ahead and plan a group trip up for a weekend. Last time I biked up there was in the late 90's, and it was NOTHING like what it has become. Then it was basically all XC and nothing else.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
mud'n'sweat said:
West Virginia... Almost Heaven, pretty dang close to hell!

We should go ahead and plan a group trip up for a weekend. Last time I biked up there was in the late 90's, and it was NOTHING like what it has become. Then it was basically all XC and nothing else.
You'll be disappointed in the XC trails there now. They've been neglected for quite some time.

Basically it comes down to simple economics...

XC riders/racers come up camp out in the parking lot, eat beans and rice, ride. = $

DH riders/racers come up, rent lodging, drink up a storm in the bars, eat massive quantities of food, ride, break stuff then buy new stuff, and or rent bikes. = $$$$

There's also another group who does the same thing...The Jeep Jamboree. So they get the XC trails to tear up.

But there's still Slatyfork.

Mike

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Oh, I'm not complaining!

"XC riders/racers come up camp out in the parking lot, eat beans and rice"

hehe!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Dartman said:
DH riders/racers come up, rent lodging, drink up a storm in the bars, eat massive quantities of food, ride, break stuff then buy new stuff, and or rent bikes. = $$$$
:drool: :drool::drool: :drool::drool: :drool::drool: :drool:

Sounds like heaven to me...:thumb:

:D

mindlessfr

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
richmond, va
ahhhhh i wish i could head up there this year to do some riding but im having acl surgery, but i might push that back til mid summer just so i can ride a little:mumble:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
ow. my buddy broke his back on the last run of our snowshoe weekend last year. Decided he was gonna chase me and ended up in a ditch filled with pointy rocks. he's alright now, but i think maybe our first trips will be elsewhere... i know wintergreen is for haters and stuff, but it's so damn close to dc.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
skatetokil said:
ow. my buddy broke his back on the last run of our snowshoe weekend last year. Decided he was gonna chase me and ended up in a ditch filled with pointy rocks. he's alright now, but i think maybe our first trips will be elsewhere... i know wintergreen is for haters and stuff, but it's so damn close to dc.
Whoa - that sucks! I don't know very much about broken bones, but a broken back sounds like something you would never fully recover from. Hope he healed up ok. WG would be a good place to get those riding butterflies out of the system - especially after a crash like that.

mindlessfr

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
richmond, va
ive been thinking about wintergreen because its 3.5 hours closer to me than snowshoe, anybody been there...ive heard many different things about it

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
mindlessfr said:
ive been thinking about wintergreen because its 3.5 hours closer to me than snowshoe, anybody been there...ive heard many different things about it

3.5 hours closer?? It only takes 3.5 hours to SS from richmond. Excactly where do you live in Richmond? Wintergreen is fun but once you go to SS nothing else will compare. The people at SS are very much into moutainbikring and are very helpful and always make you feel welcome. I always get the exact oppisite feel at wintergreen, people that work there arent very helpful and you dont leave with that warm fuzzy feeling like you cant wait to get back. For me it may be because I have been going to SS for years and it just feels like home to me.

Dennis

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
mindlessfr said:
WTF?! I've driven to Snowshoe in 3.5 hours from Richmond. (Isn't 288 nice!)

Good thing I didn't get caught speeding, but yeah.

Mike

Feb 5, 2006
Chester, Va.
Dartman said:
WTF?! I've driven to Snowshoe in 3.5 hours from Richmond. (Isn't 288 nice!)

Good thing I didn't get caught speeding, but yeah.

Mike
Just how fast were you going? 75 is my limit because I'm young and cops love to pull kids like me. I've heard anywhere between 4 and 6 hours.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
It is about 3.5 easily from the 288/64 innerchange. I can do 3.5 there and about 3.25 back I guess it is all down hill

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
It's 2 hours to SS from Waynesboro, and only an hour and a half to Boulevard exit in Richmond from waynesboro.