Quantcast

so cal + mobster 2.5 = good combo?

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
what's the consensus?

i live in southern california (SD county) I ride the usual SD/OC downhill and freeride spots... What's the performance on these suckers like?

I'm currently running Michelins... 2.5 Comp 16 in the front and a 2.2 Comp 24 in the back. Are the mobsters going to be any lighter in the 42A compound, 2.5 front and rear?

Ghetto Tubeless success?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I've heard tell that the mobsters release unpredictably on loose over hardpack type terrain. I was steered away from them when I lived in LA.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
Mobsters are good for loose or rocky terrain. They are OK on hard pack.

If you like flat corners or drifting, this is not the best tire.

I don't think you'll see much difference in the weight from duro to duro

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I run Mobster/High roller combos for almost anything. They work great for the loose stuff...

If you want something tighter.......the Minions seem to be that sorta tire. I didn't really like them on the loose stuff, but more hard pack and they work pretty well.

Specialized also has a tire called the Chunder I think? Almost like a mobster/high roller mix as far as tread design goes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I always run mobsters as a rear. They work great for braking and have the characteristic maxxis channel before the sideknobs...making them hold and drift very predictably.

Not enough channel for the front.......I use a minion dhF or high roller for thems. I'm assuming you've ridden northstar. There's not a whole lot out there dustier/loosererer

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I run a Mobster 2.5 super tacky front and Highroller 2.3 60d rear and it works well for me. I do feel like there is something missing on off camber turns though, maybe it's my self confidence.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
I always run mobsters as a rear. They work great for braking and have the characteristic maxxis channel before the sideknobs...making them hold and drift very predictably.

Not enough channel for the front.......I use a minion dhr or high roller for thems. I'm assuming you've ridden northstar. There's not a whole lot out there dustier/loosererer
I actually haven't ridden Northstar, but I've seen enough pictures, and heard enough stories to have a pretty good idea of what it's like... I'd say some of the terrain I ride is like Northstar Lite... A lot of trails are just plain slippery as fugg with a tiny layer of silt on top of pretty much sandstone...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A lot of trails are just plain slippery as fugg with a tiny layer of silt on top of pretty much sandstone...
Yeah a soft compound trumps a tread pattern on that stuff.

I just got some 3C maxxis tires I haven't used yet but I'm pretty psyched to see how those things work.

But I've used pretty much the combos I stated above for the last few years in BC mud, tahoe dust, bootleg/utah type gravel sandy stuff and have been really happy. Every once in a while a tire comes around that I get curious about but those three maxxis treads are the only ones I've bought more than once.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah a soft compound trumps a tread pattern on that stuff.

I just got some 3C maxxis tires I haven't used yet but I'm pretty psyched to see how those things work.

But I've used pretty much the combos I stated above for the last few years in BC mud, tahoe dust, bootleg/utah type gravel sandy stuff and have been really happy. Every once in a while a tire comes around that I get curious about but those three maxxis treads are the only ones I've bought more than once.
I just went back and re-read your first post... DHR's in the front???

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
what's the consensus?

i live in southern california (SD county) I ride the usual SD/OC downhill and freeride spots... What's the performance on these suckers like?

I'm currently running Michelins... 2.5 Comp 16 in the front and a 2.2 Comp 24 in the back. Are the mobsters going to be any lighter in the 42A compound, 2.5 front and rear?

Ghetto Tubeless success?
Why are you not running Comp 24 cuts on the front over the comp 16? That would give you more bite in the turns out there than the 16's.

ncg53

Chimp
Oct 31, 2005
Dont do it man. I ride so-cal trails and mobster is horrible in the front. I dont mind it as a rear tire, but in the front on hardpacked its not very predictable. I have a blue groove in the front right now and its great on hardpacked(even dust-covered) and rocks. Im not sure its the best for real loose sand, but Im not sure if theres anything that is great for that. Now that we are finally going to get some rain down here, and the trails will pack down a bit id say go for a blue groove or minion.