Quantcast

So can a average car turn quicker....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
in reverse?

I always assumed it could but it came up here at work... and now I'm not sure.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
biggins said:
well, actually its just that the turning radius is tighter.
:confused: Why would the turning radius be tighter? Isn't that dependent on the steering lockout. Seems that would be independent of driving fw or bw....

I'm assuming that there's no skidding/powersliding involved...........

-S.S.-

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
hmmm let me think. i think it has something to do with the axis. when the car is going forward the axis is in the back. conversly when the car is going in reversethe axis is in the front.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Think about it. Turn your steering all the way to the right and go forward 10 feet, then withought moving the wheel go in reverse 10 feet. The car will end up in the same spot you started at, the turning radius is the same. To make this thread bike related do the same with a bike.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
it also depends on which way the vehicle is turning. lots of vehicles do not have equal turning radius in both directions.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Because in reverse your cars front end is sliding around to make that more abrupt turn....kind of like overstearing with the front end.

Is isn't relying solely on teh tires and to make the turn is it sliding along with it. I guess if you did forward donuts in the parking lot it the action would be similar.

Rhino

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
you will have to do a complete circle going forward first, then in reverse. going backwards will have a shorter circle do to the fact that the axis {like biggins said} is closer to the center of the circle, it is simple physics. why do you think most of the little cars in asia (the little two seater motorcycle things) turn in the rear. It just like driving with a trailer on a vehicle, you can make sharper turns in reverse than forwards.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Motionboy2 said:
Stosh, I think the company should take their lunch outside and perform this forward-circle-backward-circle test. Then we will all know for sure :think: :)
Lunch was a few hours ago but maybe on Tuesday we can.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the turning radius of the car is the same whether in forward or reverse, that's determined by how far the wheels can deflect. however, note that the point about which the car pivots (red point on my probably-flawed diagram) is not in the middle of the car. <--- this is key.

why? when you pull into a parking space going forward you start turning before you reach the spot. when you turn, however, you are pivoting about this point far back on the car (which is already behind the spot since you started turning early).

when you pull into a parking space going backwards, on the other hand, your car pivots around a point closer to the spot you wish to occupy.

this is probably easier in pictures:

car 1
car 2
empty spot
car 3
car 4

assume you approach the empty spot from the bottom, going forwards. your turn will pivot around car 4, roughly (see diagram again).

assume you are still facing upwards but now are backing in from "above". your turn might now pivot around car 2 instead. voila.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Skookum said:
Ahahaha this thread cracks me up....
on this note i go to watch Milla Jacofftohernakedpictureov go blast zombies.
What I wouldn't give to not be at work right now!!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Donuts in the parking lot, and lots of beer. Beer is the only way to prove anything physics related. :thumb:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Toshi said:
the turning radius of the car is the same whether in forward or reverse, that's determined by how far the wheels can deflect. however, note that the point about which the car pivots (red point on my probably-flawed diagram) is not in the middle of the car. <--- this is key.

why? when you pull into a parking space going forward you start turning before you reach the spot. when you turn, however, you are pivoting about this point far back on the car (which is already behind the spot since you started turning early).

when you pull into a parking space going backwards, on the other hand, your car pivots around a point closer to the spot you wish to occupy.

this is probably easier in pictures:

car 1
car 2
empty spot
car 3
car 4

assume you approach the empty spot from the bottom, going forwards. your turn will pivot around car 4, roughly (see diagram again).

assume you are still facing upwards but now are backing in from "above". your turn might now pivot around car 2 instead. voila.
Nicely said.

true you turn early for one way, and late for the other.

Drt_jmpr,
The trailer example adds a whole other dimension to turning as anyone learning to back up a trailer can attest.....but it has nothing to do with anything being discussed here. :)

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
At low speed, with only two wheels steered, the only factors in turning radius are wheelbase and steering lock (max steered angle of the steered wheels). Front vs. rear steer only changes the "steer center". Toshi's diagram is correct.

At high speed, rear-steer (out of phase) is unstable, so yes, it turns more quickly (than you want). This is why it's so much fun to do reverse donuts in FWD cars...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
of course all of this theory is only valid if the vehicle is available in rootbeer color.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
for some reason caster of the wheels is coming to mind here. I'm not a mechanic and I've been battling with my current crappy car trying to get it aligned properly and kept that way so I'm not really sure what caster is but I do know that it's totally direction dependant, you can drive a much straighter line forward than you can in reverse because of caster.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Kornphlake said:
for some reason caster of the wheels is coming to mind here. I'm not a mechanic and I've been battling with my current crappy car trying to get it aligned properly and kept that way so I'm not really sure what caster is but I do know that it's totally direction dependant, you can drive a much straighter line forward than you can in reverse because of caster.
http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

"Caster is the angle to which the steering pivot axis is tilted forward or rearward from vertical, as viewed from the side."

like denny, i would argue that this effect (along with any difference in, say, bushing deflection depending on the direction) is negligible at low speeds compared to the effect i tried to describe. an interesting side note is that something in the suspension geometry on my pathfinder makes the tires rub on the fender liners at full lock in reverse but not when going forwards...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Kornphlake said:
That has to do with stability not turning radious, right? Unless you figure in under/over stear as part of the equation.

at slow speed a car will turn the same....right? At spead....forward may push some and in reverse (becuase it isn't as stable in that direction) the front end will over steer and come around.

I think people are argueing two slightly different questions.

1- does a car stear sharper one way than another (front to back) at speed, and
2- does a car stear sharper one way than another (front to back) when going slowly.

at speed the wheels are not able to stick tot he ground and hold their line like at a slow speed.

I know on my RC racing truck it made no difference but at speed the front end would whip around. in reverse. I saw whip because the front end would slide (negating much of the slow speed arc determiners) pivoting on the rear wheel.

I don't think any of that made sense.....I get to go home early.....later. Have a good weekend.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA

CANTER is the independent tilt of each wheel as if it were on an imaginary axle that was shaped like a v.
ie the top of each wheel tilts in, the bottom out. Reverse that for underloaded big trucks without air ride suspension. It does make a difference

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ioscope said:
CANTER is the independent tilt of each wheel as if it were on an imaginary axle that was shaped like a v.
ie the top of each wheel tilts in, the bottom out. Reverse that for underloaded big trucks without air ride suspension. It does make a difference
"camber"?

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
i think its simply because when the car is turning the front end follows a wider radius than the rear. so if you are turning in reverse the leading end of the car is following a tighter radius than the rear. think if you could turn your wheels totally sideways. you would pivot around the center of the rear axle. the front of the car would swing in a circle equal to the wheelbase. in forward or reverse. so the tighter radius is what makes it seem to turn tighter in reverse