Quantcast

So has anyone had much ride time on a Pike yet?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I was just looking at pricing at one of the online retailers and the RS Pikes are priced very competively. Has anyone had significant ride time on one yet? Maybe a RS sponsored rider or someone like that who frequents this forum?

I'm interested to know how they've been performing for some of the few that have been able to get some ride time on them.

Perhaps some IH guys have had time on them since they are spec'd on the 2005 IH Hollowpoint MKiii bike and all.

Really curious to know how they stack up.

Thanks.

Mark

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Several of my co-workers have been riding them since early July (Whistler, Shore, Downieville etc) and love them. The motion control works as promised and its a stiff chassis. I don't have enough time on mine to comment directly but the word is positive. Note that these guys aren't sponsored by RS but didn't pay for the forks either.

DoubleDown

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
There is basically 2 forks: Pike U-Turn and Pike Air. Both forks come in SL, Race and Team versions.

I have a Pike Air (I have buddies at RS) and so far I love it!! My fork with a aluminum steerer weighs 4.1 pounds at 140mm of travel.

This is by far one of the best forks I have ever ridden. It's super easy to adjust the settings and it rides like it has more travel than it does. The 20 mm axle (Maxle I think) blows everything else out of the water. I can get my wheel out of my fork quicker than my buddies with standard quick releases!!

I totally recommend this fork. You will not be disappointed!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
DoubleDown said:
There is basically 2 forks: Pike U-Turn and Pike Air. Both forks come in SL, Race and Team versions.

I have a Pike Air (I have buddies at RS) and so far I love it!! My fork with a aluminum steerer weighs 4.1 pounds at 140mm of travel.

This is by far one of the best forks I have ever ridden. It's super easy to adjust the settings and it rides like it has more travel than it does. The 20 mm axle (Maxle I think) blows everything else out of the water. I can get my wheel out of my fork quicker than my buddies with standard quick releases!!

sweet!! thanks for the feedback DD. I'm definitely wanting one now!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
DoubleDown said:

What bike do you have your Pike Air on? And does that mean you can't adjust the travel of the Air versions or is it just different than the U-Turn adjustments?

DoubleDown

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
I have my Pike on a Heckler with a 5th Air. It balances the bike out nicely.

The Air version does not have externally adjustable travel. It is adjustable internally, just the SID and Psylo Air forks were. It's the same system. Basically, you pick what travel you want and run it like that.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
here is a question for you. neither rockshox or bti list an air version of the pike! only the reba seem to be air(both the u-turn and dual air systems)! could the pike air be a perproduction only fork? because i cannot find it anywhere.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Sir_Crackien said:
here is a question for you. neither rockshox or bti list an air version of the pike! only the reba seem to be air(both the u-turn and dual air systems)! could the pike air be a perproduction only fork? because i cannot find it anywhere.
See HERE

DoubleDown

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
The Air version was offically released at Eurobike I think. It will be available soon, maybe a month or so away. They should be all over at Interbike.

I am running mine at the full 140. I like the slack HA with the fork at 140.

DoubleDown

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
You could totally fit a 2.7. There isn't a huge amount of room with the big tires in there, but you still got some room.

I don't have a lot of time on the Z150 (1/2 dozen rides or so), but I would take a Pike over it any day. It's lighter, more adjustable and has a WAY better axle system.

I ride this fork every day and like it more every time I ride it.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Old post !

But some fresh question ....

I thought there was only 2 travels possible, 130 or 140 ??? What about 125 ????

How much time to do the change, & is it feasible on the parking lot ?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Not sure abuot the air, but the coild you can dial down to any setting between 140 and 90mm. Uses a dial on top of the leg to do it. Bloody handy really.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
dropmachine.com said:
Not sure abuot the air, but the coild you can dial down to any setting between 140 and 90mm. Uses a dial on top of the leg to do it. Bloody handy really.
I got one of those (Pike Team coil) on order...should be here early next week. Can't wait! :thumb:

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Thanks for the effort !! But my question was about the Air version !!
To me it's only 130 or 140 ....

U-Turn is another thing !

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
ED75 said:
Old post !

But some fresh question ....

I thought there was only 2 travels possible, 130 or 140 ??? What about 125 ????

How much time to do the change, & is it feasible on the parking lot ?
Coil pikes wind between 95 and 140mm using u-turn.

Air pikes are adjustable with an internal "all-travel" spacer.
As a racer and team manager I do almost all of my bike work in a parking lot, but I think the non-road mechanic would consider changing travel with the spacers to be a bit more time consuming. The available travel settings with the air fork are unfortuantely only 130 or 140mm. This is crappy for me as I wanted one set to 95 or less for the 4x bike. Reba for me...

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Thanks for that one !
So I would consider the Pike for my "Enduro" bike & some Reba for my son's 4X !

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
I am actually running a Reba SL on my 2005 Heckler.( because i didn't want to run a 20mm hub) I have beat the piss out of the fork for the past few months. Havn't had a single problem. Thats quite impressive for a 3.5# air fork. It seems the Pike Air would be a better match, but a really cant fault the Reba. As for tire clearance i am running a Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 in my Reba right now. Its tight but it fits. (the 2.4 FR is a HUGE tire, looks bigger than my 2.7 Maxxis Minion)

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I've got a Pike Team, but I have only a few rides on it. I've been busy with school, work and internship. It's got some nice features that I'm really digging. Push Industries may have an aftermarket upgrade rebound kit for Pikes.

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Acadian said:
I got one of those (Pike Team coil) on order...should be here early next week. Can't wait! :thumb:
You went for the coil in the end, you seemed to want the Air Pike so bad! I have the same fork you have on order, really pleased, air version does look nice but I was quoted a bit of a wait by the importer only for us to get the stock air teams in a couple of days after my coil one had arrived and I had chopped the steerer on it :mad:
Air does look awesome and is noticeably lighter but I am telling myself I cant live without U Turn to ease the pain!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Tenacious Doug said:
You went for the coil in the end, you seemed to want the Air Pike so bad! I have the same fork you have on order, really pleased, air version does look nice but I was quoted a bit of a wait by the importer only for us to get the stock air teams in a couple of days after my coil one had arrived and I had chopped the steerer on it :mad:
Air does look awesome and is noticeably lighter but I am telling myself I cant live without U Turn to ease the pain!
Doug,

you are right, I really wanted a Pike Air, but like you I was told I would have to wait – so I decided to get a coil for now and deal with the extra weight and maybe get an air later on. I got a chance to test ride the coil one at the SRAM camp I was at two weeks ago and was pretty impressed. Might be a tad heavy, but it felt so good that I don’t mind dealing with the extra grams for now.

Can’t wait to get it!!

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Acadian said:
Might be a tad heavy, but it felt so good that I don’t mind dealing with the extra grams for now.
Likewise, though built myself up a lighter wheelset to compensate a bit for the extra in the forks! To be honest it hasnt really made any noticeable difference on the trail in terms of weight, I got a bit hung up on the weight on paper before I got them......I think a few weeks off the mtb and playing with a new road bike got me into a weight weenie mode. Now they are on the bike I am just loving the stifness, adjustability and suspension action and really not noticing any extra beef, those extra grams in the catalogue dont mean much now.

im loving my pike race u-turn. i set it 95mm full lockout with the gate almost all the way up (i'm 200lbs) and it's sweet for riding park. at 140 it slacks out the headangle to DH worthy angles. it's stiff, adjustable, the rebound adjust actually works. i'd like ot put one on a 4-5" freeride frame like a preston, or a blur 4x.

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Booker said:
I am actually running a Reba SL on my 2005 Heckler
Really ?????????
Isn't it a little bit to low even at 115mms ?
At this time I'm running a Talas 04 at 125mms and I'm trying to get it up with the Pike at 130 for the tracks around home and 140 for the Alps, but 115 ??? For jumping ?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Pike Team here for a couple months now on my hardtail. I've not had a ton of time on it so far, but am liking it far more than the 04 Z-1 FR it replaced.

Mostly have left it at 140mm, but have had it down around the 100mm range for some urban playing, and some climbing . Works as advertised so far.

I think the best thing is that I put it on and didn't really notice the fork while riding. It just worked for me, with pretty much no tweaking other than adjusting the rebound, right out of the box.

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
Sven tha Viking said:
im loving my pike race u-turn. i set it 95mm full lockout with the gate almost all the way up (i'm 200lbs) and it's sweet for riding park. at 140 it slacks out the headangle to DH worthy angles. it's stiff, adjustable, the rebound adjust actually works. i'd like ot put one on a 4-5" freeride frame like a preston, or a blur 4x.
I'm 200lbs as well, did you install the X heavy springs?

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
ED75 said:
Really ?????????
Isn't it a little bit to low even at 115mms ?
At this time I'm running a Talas 04 at 125mms and I'm trying to get it up with the Pike at 130 for the tracks around home and 140 for the Alps, but 115 ??? For jumping ?
To me, its not bad at all. I am comfortable on steep bikes. Even on my DH bike i was always trying to get the front end as low as possible. (6" Sherman Slider, E13 Zero Stack Cups, Flat Crowns ect...)It makes sence for our local trails. Lots of slow techy twisty stuff and not a lot of fast/steep trails. The 4.5" Reba with the 5" Heckler (Fox Air Shock) is spot on. But then again i am not riding in the Alps either.... :)

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
i have the pike coil sl, weighs in right at 5 lbs, the travel adjust is perfect and the compression damping is amazing. I never thought i would like a RS again. I weigh 215 and need to get heavier springs for it. The maxle is a great system and super easy to adjust. Only ridden it on sk8park urban and a short trail ride. when i get a good ride in i will post some more info on how sweet it is

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
Booker said:
To me, its not bad at all.
Ok ! It totally makes sense !
You set your bike for what you ride ...

I just sell my Boxxer, to replace it by a 888 so I'm in that game too, flat crowns & E-13 zerostack !

ED75

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
France
SuspectDevice said:
Coil pikes wind between 95 and 140mm using u-turn.

Air pikes are adjustable with an internal "all-travel" spacer.
As a racer and team manager I do almost all of my bike work in a parking lot, but I think the non-road mechanic would consider changing travel with the spacers to be a bit more time consuming. The available travel settings with the air fork are unfortuantely only 130 or 140mm. This is crappy for me as I wanted one set to 95 or less for the 4x bike. Reba for me...
Hey man ...
I just learn something today ... you can do what you want with the spacers, put 2 * 10mms & you're at 120mms.
Put 2 * 15mms (from a Reba) & you're at 110mms etc ...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
ED75 said:
Hey man ...
I just learn something today ... you can do what you want with the spacers, put 2 * 10mms & you're at 120mms.
Put 2 * 15mms (from a Reba) & you're at 110mms etc ...
That's great to hear! I had a feeling it was likely quite possible, but I haven't had one in my hands to play with yet...