Quantcast

So here's Mike's Bay Area Thread

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So the sitch is I am coming back to work in SF out of a downtown office adjacent to Embarcadero BART. It's a three or four year assignment, but I am eligible to retire after two years, and it makes huge financial sense to do so...picking up a reasonably big retirement annuity as early as possible while also freeing me to get a job in which I either work a lot less or make a lot more, or both. Plan is to spend at least the four years of kiddo's high school years there, then open to remaining or re-evaluating another living situation as best suits.

Soliciting any advice on living. Last time I was on the outskirts of Walnut Creek next to Pleasant Hill BART. Made for a good train commute. But I had no child and very little stuff. Now, have kid and a dog that needs at least a little outdoor fenced space.

What's most important is a worthy school district in a place I can afford, period...over my own convenience or access to riding or whatever. The place we end up will probably need to offer an assured school based on living geography...we arrive just before school and can't trust to any kind of lottery or whatever. Got relatives and friends in Oakland, would be nice to be near them, but that's also a hell of a gamble on schools to be in Oakland, from what I see, so it's sort of out.

Alameda is tempting for price/commute options/schools but as hardened as I am to prospects of natural disaster, the earthquake outlook for the island kind of terrifies me..."liquefication" is not a good word.

Gonna consider some North Bay options but $$$$...people in Sausilito, Mill Creek, and San. Rafael all report good commutes, though. Berkely is a good high school but seems kind of staggeringly expensive for what you get. Most likely going to be out in Walnut Creek/Concord/Pleasant Hell again, I suppose.

Luckily I also have a cousin in Davis with a 14 acre ranch, former race driver who has full car maintenance and resto facilities, so he will take the Land Cruiser and the motos and all my tools for as long as I need them there, so I won't be selling off all the stuff I like immediately for lack of space.

What really sucks is that I don't get a pay bump for being out there... theoretically I do have like a 40% differential or something, but I hit a pay cap immediately so I never receive any of it. Hoping I can get the wife to work some, too. She's looking at substitute teaching at $300/day, flexible schedule.

Thoughts? Ideas? I know the area has gotten even more expensive and crime is definitely an issue to consider.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Lot's of people with way more knowledge than me on the Bay area. The only friend I've got in that part of the world is in the Claremont/Rockridge/North Oakland area and I think they like it there.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So the sitch is I am coming back to work in SF out of a downtown office adjacent to Embarcadero BART. It's a three or four year assignment, but I am eligible to retire after two years, and it makes huge financial sense to do so...picking up a reasonably big retirement annuity as early as possible while also freeing me to get a job in which I either work a lot less or make a lot more, or both. Plan is to spend at least the four years of kiddo's high school years there, then open to remaining or re-evaluating another living situation as best suits.

Soliciting any advice on living. Last time I was on the outskirts of Walnut Creek next to Pleasant Hill BART. Made for a good train commute. But I had no child and very little stuff. Now, have kid and a dog that needs at least a little outdoor fenced space.

What's most important is a worthy school district in a place I can afford, period...over my own convenience or access to riding or whatever. The place we end up will probably need to offer an assured school based on living geography...we arrive just before school and can't trust to any kind of lottery or whatever. Got relatives and friends in Oakland, would be nice to be near them, but that's also a hell of a gamble on schools to be in Oakland, from what I see, so it's sort of out.

Alameda is tempting for price/commute options/schools but as hardened as I am to prospects of natural disaster, the earthquake outlook for the island kind of terrifies me..."liquefication" is not a good word.

Gonna consider some North Bay options but $$$$...people in Sausilito, Mill Creek, and San. Rafael all report good commutes, though. Berkely is a good high school but seems kind of staggeringly expensive for what you get. Most likely going to be out in Walnut Creek/Concord/Pleasant Hell again, I suppose.

Luckily I also have a cousin in Davis with a 14 acre ranch, former race driver who has full car maintenance and resto facilities, so he will take the Land Cruiser and the motos and all my tools for as long as I need them there, so I won't be selling off all the stuff I like immediately for lack of space.

What really sucks is that I don't get a pay bump for being out there... theoretically I do have like a 40% differential or something, but I hit a pay cap immediately so I never receive any of it. Hoping I can get the wife to work some, too. She's looking at substitute teaching at $300/day, flexible schedule.

Thoughts? Ideas? I know the area has gotten even more expensive and crime is definitely an issue to consider.
Send me your email (again). I'll link you in with a few friends who are there. It's a mixed group - Orinda, Rockridge, El Cerritos, San Anselmo, etc. Most of their kids are <10, but it can provide you with a good range of feedback on the districts, commutes, etc. Cal, bike, and work friends, etc. so a good spread of folks as well. Most own, some rent.

I'm still talking with this group regularly, so I know they have some solid feedback about their school situations and commutes.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Lot's of people with way more knowledge than me on the Bay area. The only friend I've got in that part of the world is in the Claremont/Rockridge/North Oakland area and I think they like it there.
My cousin is a teacher in Rockridge but lives in the bowels of Fruitvale. (As does my other cousin, who works for Parks in the city...)

Don't mind Oakland myself, but the school thing is not gonna work, best I can tell.

Joaquin Miller Park used to be my regular ride. Lotta bikejackings happened up in that area a year or two back though.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Send me your email (again). I'll link you in with a few friends who are there. It's a mixed group - Orinda, Rockridge, El Cerritos, San Anselmo, etc. Most of their kids are <10, but it can provide you with a good range of feedback on the districts, commutes, etc. Cal, bike, and work friends, etc. so a good spread of folks as well. Most own, some rent.

I'm still talking with this group regularly, so I know they have some solid feedback about their school situations and commutes.
Sent. Always loved Orinda, but don't have 1.5 mil for a 2br/1ba...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, don't get much say in things that way. Hoping that by next summer maybe interest rates will be down. No basis for such hope, but...hey, why not?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Its great, tahoe is within driving distance. And by “within” I mean 8hrs. Each way.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Its great, tahoe is within driving distance. And by “within” I mean 8hrs. Each way.
only on fridays and sundays and mondays of three day weekends and the whole week preceeding any 3 day weekend or holiday but that's just for winter it's like that all summer

We're merely a san francisco bay colony, to be sampled and then forgotten about once used. Like an authentic™ dish. Unless there's a global viral pandemic then we're everyones germ concentration device.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
only on fridays and sundays and mondays of three day weekends and the whole week preceeding any 3 day weekend or holiday but that's just for winter it's like that all summer

We're merely a san francisco bay colony, to be sampled and then forgotten about once used. Like an authentic™ dish. Unless there's a global viral pandemic then we're everyones germ concentration device.
Bears. F*ck yeah.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Do you need to be in the office every day of the week? Not sure what intel you're getting but most people I know think the 101 commute is absolute shit these days, at least during normal commute hours. Like, worse than pre-covid, since more people are in cars vs. back on public transportation.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Do you need to be in the office every day of the week? Not sure what intel you're getting but most people I know think the 101 commute is absolute shit these days, at least during normal commute hours. Like, worse than pre-covid, since more people are in cars vs. back on public transportation.
Probably, for my job. Might be doing external meetings some days straight from home, too, but we'll see.

People in North Bay are reporting effortless 25-40 minute commutes to the office depending on where they are coming from, though. Direct quote from colleague I know very well who is living in Sausilito:

"I glide over the GGB and get to the office in like 25 min"

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Probably, for my job. Might be doing external meetings some days straight from home, too, but we'll see.

People in North Bay are reporting effortless 25-40 minute commutes to the office depending on where they are coming from, though. Direct quote from colleague I know very well who is living in Sausilito:

"I glide over the GGB and get to the office in like 25 min"
Sounds like your friend would be stoked to have you as a neighbor. Good for him. Sausalito is just over the GG bridge and yeah, should be relatively easy. The corridor north of there is a shit show these days. Try checking google maps or waze for travel times when you expect you'll be driving - it's often pretty ugly. I live in SF not far from the bridge and these days it can take me and buddies an hour and half or more to get up to Fairfax for a 7 pm night ride. (That's about 30 mins in normal traffic, so 3X or more.) I know you've got a lot of competing considerations and as always it depends when you go (off hours are way better), and there are bus and ferry options, but stil, just giving you fair warning.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
) I know you've got a lot of competing considerations and as always it depends when you go (off hours are way better), and there are bus and ferry options, but stil, just giving you fair warning.
Thx, man, exactly why I am asking for the advice!

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
So you will Rent a House? I grew up in Redwood City.From age 12 on. Great City and the location is the best,even the weather. Rated best by Goverment test says the sighn in Downtown. Further North you have San Carlos,Belmont,San Mateo,Burlingame,Millbrae right near SF Airport are all great Cities IMHO. The commute is HELL though. You have the train,then bike, but I dont know if that is a option for you? Two Bed 2 Bath probally 43 to 4800? Pacifica is the Best for cool weather,I wish I could live there now. However there is Fog there. Anyway thoughts off my head.

Avy

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So you will Rent a House?
Unsure. Open to buying if things fall in place, though highly unlikely to be south of SF...love the area but the geography doesn't work as well as other areas for me.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
who don't?
it is like if telluride was by the ocean.....

all those expensive houses stacked on top of each other....

i blame MASH for that being my origin point for driving the coast.