Quantcast

So I bought some EZ-Crete...

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
..and I set out to build a spine at our local skatepark. I have never dealt with concrete ever in my life, so I was up for a challenge, and also wasn't expecting much. If it didn't turn out, meh, and if it did, then I'd be stoked.
I'm pretty stoked.
Here's the progress.

First started with this:

Gathered some **** wood from all over the skatepark and also found a nice thing sheet of plywood...

Five bags and a few hours later, I have this:

That's what I pretty pumped about at the end of yesterday. So, this morning I went to check it out, see if it was dry enough to roll up and down. It was so I gave it a go. I wasn't pumped anymore. The thing blew ass. The transition was way to steep and just all around gay. So, I went back to ace and bought 7 more bags of EZ-Crete and a bag of EZ-Crete morder or whatever. I ditched that piece of plywood and grabbed my handy flat-head shovel I use for packing my dirt jumps. Sure enough, I felt more at home with the shovel. Here's how it turned out at the end of day two.

It's wider, smoother, and has a much better curve to it.

Now, all I need to do is finish the back side. Here's what it's at so far.

Should be done by next weekend. I'm broke now. I wish some of the skaters would pitch in... Anyway, what do you guys think?

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
Sadly, no...
Haha, only because the spine isn't done, though. That's the only bike I have, at the moment. I did some nice air outs on a quarter with it earlier, ha!

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
I think you should have spent your money on some 2x4s and some plywood.
Ha... Never really thought about that.
I always wanted to build something with concrete, though, so I'm happy I made this. Roughly, how much would it cost to build something like this out of wood?
This cost me ~$40.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Wood prices can vary, but if you can score some good deals on lumber, you might build a small spine for $40. You will need some tools, and someone with some basic carpentry skills too. Something to keep in mind when you build more stuff. :)

newrider3

Monkey
Oct 13, 2007
Colorado
Was this a public skatepark? Not to sound like a dick, but were you expecting the city to be happy letting some random person show up and build stuff in a skatepark?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
good idea but it wasnt the best place to do it. local skatepark is not the place to start building your own anything. find some ditches or abandoned lots, industrial areas and make stuff. btw it looks like it would have been fun to ride once it dried.

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
Yeah, it's public. But I'm the VP of it and I asked the President if it was ok, and he said yes.
The city said it was too dangerous.
They want to close the skatepark because a kid broke his arm there yesterday...

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
your own wooden spine would probably be the way to go... probably about $50-$100 depending on size. Then you can put it wherever you want. and not worry about it getting torn down.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i agree wood would have been the way to go, but since you decided on concrete you should have looked into what you were dealing with first. Having personally worked with concrete for years, you should have built a rough shape of what you wanted out of rebar and enforced it with wood stakes and then filled it in the the quick-crete. Since the concrete now has no real support i wont be suprised to see it crumble and miss shape with in a matter of weeks especially with some rain or snow

So the city totally demolished it today.
I'm so pissed.
since this was in a public place, i can't help but laugh at the fact you thought it would actually stay, no matter who the "VP" or "prez" is....

if i can keep it real, that thing is a complete eyesore and constructed with shoddy building skills at best. i would have given it the boot on general principal...

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
I think this a good lesson in building anything. And that lesson is to plan plan plan. Just winging it and slapping sh*t together usually ends up costing you more in time, effort, and dollars. And frustration. Been there, done that.

I certainly appreciate wanting new stuff to play on and wanting it right now but, anything worth having takes time and effort to achieve.

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
Sorry to join the hate train but...

Are you honestly having a hard time figuring out why the skaters didn't want to pitch in on such a "skateable" thing?

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
A few actually did. It's totally skateable. It's a quarter pipe.
That being said, it would've probably been more fun on a skateboard then bike.

Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
since this was in a public place, i can't help but laugh at the fact you thought it would actually stay, no matter who the "VP" or "prez" is....

if i can keep it real, that thing is a complete eyesore and constructed with shoddy building skills at best. i would have given it the boot on general principal...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I back this comment.

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
I'm just stating, not fighting against you are anything, just need to vent.
The thing is, I wouldn't have done it if it [the skatepark] was funded by the city. It's not. Us bikers and skaters had fund raisers for a steady year before we could buy the lot and build our own ramps. No city help. Therefore, being one of the O.G. founders of the park, I checked with my fellow founders, and they said it was okay. Just pissed.
I talked to the city. They said they tore it down because I didn't get a workers permit. (?)

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
Right, right... That blows. This whole skatepark deal went sour a few weeks ago when a kid broke his arm on one of the rails. Now they want to close it. They already wrapped everything in caution tape, and do not enter signs the other day. God I hate the city councel.