Quantcast

So I got into a fight yesterday...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Well, I couldn't get into a fight and not share the bruises with y'all!

As many of you know I do medieval recreation. N8 and Burley Shirley keep trying to get in on it saying they have their own tights but I don't think they can handle it.

Anyhoo, so I goes out fightin' I does, and while I did kick some ass myself there was one dude there who just handed my ass to me... almost literally! He couldn't hit me much during our first few bouts but then he got a tip from an older fighter who saw an opening on me. And seeing as how the best way to teach someone to defend an opening is with PAIN, well....

OK, here's the cool thing... if you look at the bruises you'll see that a few are in "paralell lines. The pink part in the middle is where the sword (wooden, more like a club) hit. The bruises show up on either side of where the blow landed. Kinda cool, eh?

Sadly this kind of injury no longer garners sympathy from the wife. She now says that I just need to learn to defend that spot better.

Funny clothes, drinking MASS quantities of homebrew and beating up on your friends (and vice versa). C'mon N8, how could you NOT want to try this!?!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I saw a good fightin' movie last night. Set in the Dark Ages just after the fall of the roman empire. The Irish were getting all uppity with the Angles.

Tristen and Isolde.

I give it 3/5 stars. Lots of choppin' and hackin' but not enough lovin' (bow-wicky-chicky-wow-wow style).

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Niiiice. That looks like me after one of my many rock garden headers.

Surprisingly, I never sustained any injuries of particular note during my martial arts years, but my brother managed to knock out his top front teeth(for the 3rd time) during a nunchaku training/sparring session. Ironically, both he and his wife are now dentists. :biggrin:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
:D

And think of this... I am a much better fighter than I am a downhiller. :bonk: No wonder I get hurt on my bike.

Slugman I am down for friday or Sunday. Plans have been made for Saturday. The wife would kill me. And I have to go fight some more.

Fortunately, that was the only spot I had open. It stings for a minute or two then it just settles down into a nice ache that a few beers can fix.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
You bruise like my woman when she "falls down the stairs".

Maybe "flag" medieval lightsabering would be a little safer.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Maybe I should join up with this fairy tale stuff. If taking a few free swings at some dirty hippies is included in it, it can't be all bad.
I would LOVE IT if you came out and armored up. We'll let you fight the girls first. If they don't hurt you too bad then you can fight me. In fact, to make it even I'll toke a few so you can have your ass handed to you by a "dirty hippy".

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dude. You ride a 29er and drink martinis.

Stfu.

Ciaran, do you guys use shinais or solid wood swords?

edit: Burly FTW :rofl:
We use solid rattan. 1.25" minimum diameter. About 36 - 40 inches long with a metal basket style hilt for hand protection.

It is full speed fighting. Sadly some people don't understand that and think that we're just playing around and are untrained. The reality is that this has been going on since about 1972-ish and over the years we have studied medieval fighting manuals as well as developed our own techniques. I personally train 2 days a week for appx 3 hours a day, in addition to riding for cardio fitness and practice hitting a fighting dummy everyday. If "Jeronimo" really came out he'd be very hard pressed to even land stick on me. It's not that I am that good, but that what we do takes training.

Interesting factoid: There was one guy who started fighting when he was like 15 or so. Big dude, frikkin strong. When he turned 18 and was allowed to play with the big boys he came out and just killed it! He eventually won our biggest competition tournament and became king (Silly title... you "reign" for 6 months). He was later told by his job not to fight anymore incase he got hurt. His employer? The Buffalo Bills football team. His name is Glenn Parker. Some of you may have seen him play in four super bowls with the Bills and one with the Giants.