Quantcast

So I should be a FireFighter soon

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
So Hippiekai and I have been trying to get into the Fire Academy and we have gone threw all the testing to get in... (volunteer that is) but once we are outa the Academy we can continue on as volunteer to pay off what we owe for training or get on as a paid firefighter somewhere and pay off the other district for the training we took. So come Dec. we will be done and be certified Firefighters!

Of course HippieKai still hasn't checked his mail to see if he has gotten his acceptance letter or not.

I'm freaking so stoked!

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Ok here's a bit of advice...NEVER let your guard down...WE lost two guys in the Ladders evolution of our academy who were great at throwing ladderes...plain old bad luck can get you the boot. ...and never think you're hot S#it cuz some firefighters will take great pleasure in putting you back in your place.

Oh and don't start calling yourself a firefighter yet.. you haven't even had a single day of fire academy. I won't call myself a firefighter until I've passed my probation.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Dog Welder said:
Ok here's a bit of advice...NEVER let your guard down...WE lost two guys in the Ladders evolution of our academy who were great at throwing ladderes...plain old bad luck can get you the boot. ...and never think you're hot S#it cuz some firefighters will take great pleasure in putting you back in your place.

Oh and don't start calling yourself a firefighter yet.. you haven't even had a single day of fire academy. I won't call myself a firefighter until I've passed my probation.
Yeah ok dude.. um where did I call myself a firefighter? I said I will be soon.. in Dec. once I graduate.. jesus... man, I'm stoked about getting in and you're gonna piss on it? Glad I'm not working with you...

I'm so not thinking I'm hot S#it as you put it.. I'm just stoked I got in.. it was a long process and we had to beat out a few other people...

So I'm just curious are you letting me know not to be hot S#it from personal experience? Being put in your place? Man you are the one with the attitude here....

I just don't get it dude, I'm stoked about getting in period!.. and didn't say I WAS a firefighter yet..... READ IT BEFORE you get up on your pedistal and start preaching to me bro.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Riff Raff said:
Funny... Paul is such a nice guy, Just can't picture him preaching. I think your taking Paul's advice to seriously.

-H
Hmm...I don't know Paul either and I didn't think that's at all what he meant :confused: I thought he was helping out someone who would soon join the ranks of the firefighters. Chill....and relish in the fact that you're on the path. Good luck!

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
WOW......and here I was thinking that I was just giving some advice...

Listen...you took it the wrong way. I was trying to give you advice that despite achieving was so many others haven't by GETTING INTO a fire academy...you still have a VERY long road ahead of you upwards of two to three years, especially with so many departments going with Paramedics now...that's another 1-2 years of school...with an average drop rate of AT LEAST 50%... I am trying to convey upon you the enormity of the challenge ahead of you. Examply City of Long Beach 8000 people tested for 25 positions. Fountain Valley...a little 3 station department had 700 people test for 1 positions. The last time Los Angeles County tested was 7 years ago and they had 24000 people show up. I've even heard that Chicago once had 50000 people show up for a test. Sure you're in Salt Lake...but I'm willing to bet dollars to pesos that competition for a full time paid position is just as hard.

I am trying to that great you got in...but its just one small miniscule step.

I only meant it as a word of advice because you will find instructors that will **** on you IF they believe you think you are hot sh!it. I did not mean for you to think that I was calling YOU hot s#it.

I've never had to be put in my place because I already know it. Don't ever think that you can judge me again.

Great attitude kid...you'll go far. ..next time when someone whose been through it tries to give you some advice, try not to jump the gun with such an emotional response and sh1t on the advice thats given under good will. Its frowned upon in the fire service.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
sorry Dog Welder but your first post just sounds like, as Erik put it, your pissing on the fact. A nice "way to go" would have been nice. Your post makes it sound like your dogging him for taking the first step. You realy made it a buzz kill.
kai-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dog Welder said:
Great attitude kid...you'll go far. ..next time when someone whose been through it tries to give you some advice, try not to jump the gun with such an emotional response and sh1t on the advice thats given under good will. Its frowned upon in the fire service.
Speaking of great attitudes, how about, as someone who has been through what he has and knows how excited he must feel, a comment like "good job", or "glad to hear it" - it might cause your harsh advice to be seen in a better light.

As it is, you simply come across as having a bad attitude and wanting to piss on his excitement. Nobody is saying you're not giving valid advice, but read your post again and you should understand the negative reaction to it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
HippieKai said:
sorry Dog Welder but your first post just sounds like, as Erik put it, your pissing on the fact. A nice "way to go" would have been nice. Your post makes it sound like your dogging him for taking the first step. You realy made it a buzz kill.
kai-
Looks like a couple guys might be a bit too thin-skinned for the firefighter gig......... ;)

-S.S.-

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Congrats on getting accepted, that rules! But, like anything of such high prestige, it sounds like getting accepted is only the beginning or the journey! Stay strong and you'll rock that sh!t, yo.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Reread my post and I don't see nothing wrong with it. I was trying to convey certain pitfalls he might find in the academy. So if you think I was an a$$hole..fine.. but hey take it as you see it. You won't hear another peep out of me.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Congrats punk. Think you will learn how to hold your alcohol in firefighter school? ;)

Seriously congrats, 2 beers on me on monday, to celebrate future firefighters :)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Congrats from here as well.

Along the lines of what Paul said, remember that you still have a long tough challenge ahead of you. Be strong. And like others said, don't be so sensitive. If someone giving you advice gets your hackles up, then you will have a helluva time dealing with some of the emotional stuff you may encounter as a firefighter.

A friend of mine is a new firefighter (There are pix I posted around here somewhere) and he has been working super hard for YEARS just for the chance. He said that it is the hardest and the best thing he has ever done.

Congrats again. :thumb:

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Congrats punk, keep the forests Green, and try to take advantage of the situation.... shuttling with a fire engine, or even better, with an FD heli.... :D for firefighiting DH.