Quantcast

So I stopped in Arlen Ness to check out some choppers.....

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Meh............I would much rather have a ducati or some sport bike. Highway crusers are nice and all, but not really fun unless you are on a straight piece o road...........

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
chicodude01 said:
Meh............I would much rather have a ducati or some sport bike. Highway crusers are nice and all, but not really fun unless you are on a straight piece o road...........
When I was your age I liked the rocket type bikes, now I wanna cruise:thumb:

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
chicodude01 said:
yeah for me to.

Although such a cruiser is pretty awesome,

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
After watching shows like American Chopper and stuff like that, and seeing how LITTLE work actually goes into one of those, I cant believe they cost as much as they do. **** that.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BurlyShirley said:
After watching shows like American Chopper and stuff like that, and seeing how LITTLE work actually goes into one of those, I cant believe they cost as much as they do. **** that.
Some are fully custom and some are kits, American chopper, they get most of their stuff out of a catolog the do some mods to it, others hand build the whole thing. The one I was looking at was $37K.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Brian HCM#1 said:
Lots of fun, but friggen cold. It was the first time I've been there where I had to wear jeans and a sweatshirt :dead:
whiner, we got 8in of snow, and more is falling :dead: I hate it, the illinois motto is something along the lines of "hey look at the snow, lets all forget how to drive" :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
ViolentVolante said:
whiner, we got 8in of snow, and more is falling :dead: I hate it, the illinois motto is something along the lines of "hey look at the snow, lets all forget how to drive" :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:
Dude, thats nothing it was 60 in So Cal, now thats punishment!!!!!!!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Brian HCM#1 said:
Some are fully custom and some are kits, American chopper, they get most of their stuff out of a catolog the do some mods to it, others hand build the whole thing. The one I was looking at was $37K.

Orange County Choppers's bikes are ridiculously overrated, like you said they dont build their own frames or roll their own fenders, many people could do in their garage what those clowns do. Their welds are mongoose quality, and they eyeball the placement of everything.

Did you see the great biker buildoff? The british team built one of the sexiest bikes I have ever seen, as did the asian guy that won it. I forget which shop it was.... but on one episode one of the shop guys had built himself a "sport chopper", sportbike geometery with chopper construction and the mandatory huge V-twin.

Oct 30, 2001
Fremont
The Ness shop is dialed. Some of those IH and BD rides are painted up nicely. I'm just off 680 and I see a bunch of choppers hit the off ramp. I prefer mine low and beefy. I'm running Ness signals and mirrors.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
The America Chopper's shows were nice to watch in the begining, now they are played out big time. Now they ACT instead of wing it. I never liked the designs of their bikes and I agree 100% that anyone could almost put one of their rides together. They don't make anything in house, everything is bought.

The biker build off's are a much better show. Those guys handbuilt everything they can. Paul Yaffe and the Martin Bro's bikes. God damm those are pretty bikes. I am 22, and wouldn't want a ricer bike, or a dirt bike yet, but a bike that you could cruise with and it'd be one of a kind, that is what it's all about.

I like this one :)

Brian HCM#1 said:
When I was your age I liked the rocket type bikes, now I wanna cruise:thumb:

Im with you on that, I had a CBR900RR when I was younger and all 7 of the guys I rode with bit it, wrecked thier bikes or the bike was stolen. Cars never heard us, we were way to fast for the Seattle roads. I love em' dont get me wrong, but riding a big V-twin they hear you coming and drivers have alot more respect for the bike, its weird..but I want a cruiser now too..Ill never buy another sport bike......to many hurt friends and close calls.....but to each thier own..just dont get hurt

heres the bike my buddy built "D-train cycles"

and the one I want! :D from PCC :thumb:

BurlyShirley said:

the OCC guys are hacks, anyone could build a bike thier way. There are so many other comapnys that do it the right way and dont get credit...its kinda sad...Occ, has a killer marketing person, thats all...but at least Jesse James makes his own frames and other stuff...

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
bibs said:
the OCC guys are hacks, anyone could build a bike thier way. There are so many other comapnys that do it the right way and dont get credit...its kinda sad...Occ, has a killer marketing person, thats all...but at least Jesse James makes his own frames and other stuff...
His welds still suck, someone needs to show him a Moots so he will realize it. OCC got on the air because those guys are dumb rednecks that yell alot an americans like to watch stupid people act stupid on TV.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
TheInedibleHulk said:
Orange County Choppers's bikes are ridiculously overrated, like you said they dont build their own frames or roll their own fenders, many people could do in their garage what those clowns do. Their welds are mongoose quality, and they eyeball the placement of everything.

Did you see the great biker buildoff? The british team built one of the sexiest bikes I have ever seen, as did the asian guy that won it. I forget which shop it was.... but on one episode one of the shop guys had built himself a "sport chopper", sportbike geometery with chopper construction and the mandatory huge V-twin.
I love those biker build-offs:thumb:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Spunger said:
The America Chopper's shows were nice to watch in the begining, now they are played out big time. Now they ACT instead of wing it. I never liked the designs of their bikes and I agree 100% that anyone could almost put one of their rides together. They don't make anything in house, everything is bought.

The biker build off's are a much better show. Those guys handbuilt everything they can. Paul Yaffe and the Martin Bro's bikes. God damm those are pretty bikes. I am 22, and wouldn't want a ricer bike, or a dirt bike yet, but a bike that you could cruise with and it'd be one of a kind, that is what it's all about.

I like this one :)
Thats a sweet ride, I keep telling my wife I have to have something like that :p

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
These bikes, the full on custom choppers, some turn, some like to go stright in a line. I like the low, fast, stealth look of a bike. Some of those bikes are so well crafted you don't even need a $10,000 paintjob on it for it to look killer. I think the appeal is how wide the rear tire is and how low to the ground it goes. I imagine they handle better in turns they looks show. It's a cruiser. Not a go around the track bike.

I hope when I'm wealthy enough :) that I can afford one of these beasts. Not only because they are hand made, but because you can say for sure "my bike is better than yours"

The Ness bikes are nice too. The thing I like most about the Ness bikes and the Martin Bro's bikes, along with some others is that they do everything themselves. From fabrication to assembly to PAINT!. How odd is that now days? They do it all, in house, 1 guy. Ness bikes is large so there might be many guys, but the smaller shops like Martin Bro's earn it. I know on that biker build off there's another guy who was in Boston that does his own paint as well. That's just crazy.