Quantcast

So I think I should run FDISK....

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I have reformatted several drives but not in the last few years. I guess I dont have any questions......yet, except, is this the best way to get rid of the blue screen of death? My puter locks up on me at least twice per day. I am sick of hitting ctl alt delete all the time. Oh yeah I run Win98. I think I am gonna load XP or whatever version I have laying around.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
TN again.....

OK......In trying to avoid running FDISK, I ran a program on the machine called config safe hoping it would fix any problems in my registry but now It will boot windows & get me to my log in screen & as soon as I log on It locks up.

so i guess my question is...how do i get a DOS prompt if windows wont load?
Thanx.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
You can always try regclean, it is a pretty handy little tool that can work wonders. If you can get on to d/l it that is.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Tenchiro said:
You can always try regclean, it is a pretty handy little tool that can work wonders. If you can get on to d/l it that is.
Reg clean doesn't do much...

Start windows in safe mode, back everything up, then FDISK the f*cker.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
bomberz1qr20 said:
Reg clean doesn't do much...

Start windows in safe mode, back everything up, then FDISK the f*cker.
I have had regclean fix alot of weird issues and lockups before.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Let me preface this by saying that I am an I.T. Pro... I do this for a living. I work for Kaiser Permanente (Medical HMO)...

F-Disk is ancient technology. Use it if you're gonna reload 98. If you are loading W2K, or XP, you will boot from the CD. This will take you into a setup program that includes a disk partioner and formatter.

Whether or not you reblast the machine depends on how long it has been up and how many programs have been installed AND uninstalled over the years. Personally I would get off of 98 ASAP. Like a previous poster said, new programs on an old O.S. is bad news. If you have games and such that seem to run better (faster) under 98, then get some more memory. I run XP with a full GIG of DDR RAM. My machine flies even when gaming. (Enter the Matrix rocks!)

Also, as someone mentioned... BACK IT UP FIRST. Save your favoritesand/or bookmarks, mail, address book, etc. Once you reblast and wipe that disk, it's pretty much gone for good.

If you need any programs, including windows, and you don't mind being a pirate (Arrrgghhh!) let me know. I will burn some CD's and mail them to you. I have an extensive software library. If you need any assistance shoot me an e-mail. I will answer any questions I can.

Hope this helps!

Ciaran...
Pasadena, SoCal.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Oh yeah...

Reformatting and reloading is the fastest most complete way to get rid of the BSOD. The correct way is to read the BSOD, find out what is wrong and rectify the problem. Of course there are dozens of errors a BSOD can refer to and tracking them down can be a PITA.

Here at Kaiser when we get a BSOD unless it's an obvious problem like a BSOD immediatly after installing new hardware, we just reblast the PC. It's just the easiest way to go...

Ciaran...