Quantcast

So I'm about to get married, and my fiance' gets canned...

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
...well, she would have been canned had the owner of her company come into work today.

I'm not one for bad mouthing a company, even if they fire me for no good reason. But this company she works for has lost their ever-lovin' minds.

Well, the gist is that her company is run by a ding-dong. And we've all had our fair share of bad bosses, run-ins with owners who have no clue what's going on, etc. But this guy doesn't take the cake. He takes all the cakes.

This couldn't have come at a worse time, too. We were going to be on her Kaiser plan for health coverage. We were going to move into her co-worker's home which he rents because it was so close to my office and her office.

Now we have a clean slate, I guess. *sigh*

:(

Happy 2008. :disgust:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I've got my own personal coverage outside of my line of work through Tonik (Blue Shield), so as long as I never cancel it, they can never deny me coverage. But it's bare bones coverage. $120/month gets me a cheap deductible in case I break a leg or need surgery. She's very healthy too, so it's not so bad. We rarely, if ever, go to the doctors. I think I've been once in two years.

And she's very smart with her money, and I'm almost completely debt free outside of a car payment.

We're local. In San Jose. She's a marketing manager well versed in design and customer service, particularly in the insurance industry. I'm a paralegal/admin. So work is never too far away if worse-comes-to-worse. Just can't believe her co-workers would turn their backs on her like that.

If you ask me, when a co-worker/friend you work with doesn't give you the inside scoop that you're getting canned, that's betrayal.

I think that just plain sucks.

P.S. I want to be Destro.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I've got my own personal coverage outside of my line of work through Tonik (Blue Shield), so as long as I never cancel it, they can never deny me coverage. But it's bare bones coverage. $120/month gets me a cheap deductible in case I break a leg or need surgery. She's very healthy too, so it's not so bad. We rarely, if ever, go to the doctors. I think I've been once in two years.

And she's very smart with her money, and I'm almost completely debt free outside of a car payment.

We're local. In San Jose. She's a marketing manager well verse in design and customer service, particularly in the insurance industry. I'm a paralegal/admin. So work is never too far away if worse-comes-to-worse. Just can't believe her co-workers would turn their backs on her like that.

If you ask me, when a co-worker/friend you work with doesn't give you the inside scoop that you're getting canned, that's betrayal. And I think that sucks balls.

But it just sucks.

P.S. I want to be Destro.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Still sucks but you guys will land on your feet. Might help in getting more sympathy cash for wedding presents.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Don't put off getting married for money reasons, that's crap, unless you're looking for an excuse and it doesn't sound like you are.

There is opportunity in everything, SERIOUSLY. Just find it and use to your advantage.

Legally, her company had to prove she was a poor performer over time (6 months to 2 years documented) or she violated a company policy that she sign-ed off on. It's usually not worth the fight, but you never know. Bosses are accountable to other people and organizations too.

Knock her up and let her be a full time mom- another option:)

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Legally, her company had to prove she was a poor performer over time (6 months to 2 years documented) or she violated a company policy that she sign-ed off on. It's usually not worth the fight, but you never know. Bosses are accountable to other people and organizations too.
If he is in a "at will" state they can fire you anytime for any reason. I know Colorado is like this. If your boss does not like the color of your tie he can get rid of you. The only thing they legally have to do is have the money they owe you ready for you when you walk out the door.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
If he is in a "at will" state they can fire you anytime for any reason.
Unless that reason is specifically prohibited by law.

California is an at will state as far as I know.

(As always laws vary from state to state)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I thought your fiance' got caned. That would've been a much better story. :D

sorry to hear, do you have health care through your work that she could piggy-back off of? if so, get thee to town hall pronto, and do the ceremony/reception at a later date. hope all goes well...

Personally, I'd quit before the boss got a chance to can me.

It's always better to say you left a job rather than they MADE you leave.

Of course if she does get fired, teach her the phrase "we had philisophical differences and we mutually decided it was best for me to move on to another opportunity."

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
First marriage and potential financial issues is a recipe for disaster. I know first hand.

Job security is a thing of the past, but make sure you guys have regular disposable income to go have a nice dinner out, see movies, grilling $23 T-bones, etc. whenever you want or plan on staying home and fighting.